New Ferrari at NSX price

Motor trend recently mentioned of a Ferrari Dino replacement due out after 2006. 350 horse V8, Aluminum body, Mid-engine and Porsche (911) price tag. It is to be a purest design without gadgets such as F1 transmission.

There is an artist rendering of it.

Was it not a Wishlist of cars that the magazine would like to be produced?

Because if that is true... the HSC at the same price / engine-power / two cilinders less ... would really have a hard time against a car badgeted with the prancing horse. :(

I can imagine existing Ferrari owners won't like this. Their beloved "top-tier" marque will become available to the upper middle class. Isn't exclusivity the biggest attraction to these cars? Oh, horrors! :D

Actually Ferrari offered in the (adjusted to the current value of) 90-100k$ market several cars in the past, for example the Dino and Mondial. Even the 308 costed only 30% more than the base 911 (now the 360 costs 80% more than the 996).

The more expensive maintenance (parts and labour), the lower production and the long waiting lists helped keeping the mystique of the brand even on car that were selling for "lower" :p prices.

We shall see. Ferrari doesn't make that much money selling cars when compared to the money they make setting toys, T-shirts, models, and licensing their name to others selling everything you can imagine.

The goal of the brand is to create mystique and always sell less then the demand.

Fiat (who owns Ferrari) has other avenues for the exact same technology (like Alphas and Masseratis) to platform share with and go for the sales numbers.

For these reasons I remain highly skeptical you will see an $85,000 Ferrari any time soon.

I know Ken but in Switzerland (and Europe) the base 360 costs 190 kCHF = 146 k$

vs

the base 911-996 that costs 118 kCHF = 90k$

...also it is only 62% more. I made a world average of 80%... anyway it was only to show that the ratio between the base Ferrari and base 911 was not always so huge, only 15-20 years ago the gap was one half of the current one.

Back