New female forum member needs purchase advice

Hi,

This is my first post so please have patience with me. I recently sold my 1996 collector edition corevette (I know:rolleyes: ), and I now want to buy an automatic NSX. I found a black 1991 with only 2K miles listed by a dealer, Naples Motorsports, in Florida. It is more than I wanted to spend but the mileage is low. I am curious if anyone is familiar with this car, and your thoughts on the price (was on ebay for 39K, did not sell). Also, is 1991 a good year? I am really looking for something that will not rattle and buzz like my corvette did (and it only had 7500 miles when I sold it:D ).

Thanks, all advice is appreciated, but please do not tell me not to get auto trans. I must have it:D

Beth

Welcome to the forum Beth.....lets see first off you should read the FAQ's which is located at the top of this browser it should cover all your questions...as far as the price i think its a bit on the high side even thou the mileage on the car is low....next you should get the vin and do a car fax, see if there is any history on this vehicle.See if there is anyone on this forum down that way that can go and do a visual inspection and maybe a test drive for you.i cant think of anything else ...but if i misssed anything im sure others will chime in and cover it....good luck with your search Beth.

Sounds to me like the car is practically new (my '03 NSX has more than 2k already and I've only had it 2 months). If the condition of the vehicle is also like new (inside & out), then I would say $39k is not a bad price even if you are paying more than book value.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I am headed to FAQ right now:D

I am curious though if any one is familiar with this dealer in Naples....

Beth

Hi Beth,

I would be more interested in a 30k mile automatic that has been pampered and completely maintained (for less money) then a 2k car that has not had the ABS excercized, the AC run regularly, any oil changes in 12 years, any timing belt changes, etc.

There is a lot of plumbing and seals in an NSX and things left tend to dry out and begin leaking. I am sure it is a cream puff on the outside but I would rather pay high 20's/low 30's for an automatic with 30-40k miles then high 30's for one with 2k miles unless I am wrong about the maintenance and that the engine was run regularly.

Good luck.

Also, if you plan to drive the thing, you will assume a lot more depreciation with a low mileage car. 5k-25k miles will depreciate a lot more than 35k-55k.

Beth,

I purchased my 91 NSX from Baystate Motorsports which is Naples sister company. I had very good luck with them.

John

NSX Pilot,
Not trying to start flames. I just think that any car depreciates most in the early miles. 5k miles is practically new and should be almost perfect. There will almost always be someone willing to pay for that car. But if you plan to drive it and put some miles on it like it was built for, then the low mileage car will see more depreciation than a mid mileage car. An NSX will not be a collector car for quite a few years, if ever, so one should buy it to drive it and enjoy it.
Doug

Thanks for all of the help guys, I am starting the process.

caz-nsx, I am planning on adding later model wheels to the 1991 as well. Did you run into any issues?

Thanks again.

Beth

Beth,

The 94-01 wheels just swap out. The 02-03 wheels required a 5mm hub-centric spacer to adjust the offset so the wheel clears the brake caliper. The spacers are only required in the front not the rear, but I did all four to keep them consistent.

The newer wheels really make a big difference.

John

Beth,

Couple of issues with the 1991:

1. Snap ring failure potential (not all 91's)
2. Window regulator potential failure (need to replace for $15 now or $250+ later on)

The FAQs will cover these two in detail.

Good luck!

Joel said:
Beth,

Couple of issues with the 1991:

1. Snap ring failure potential (not all 91's)

Since she is only looking at automatic NSXs there is no snap ring issue to worry about.

nick

Hi Beth,

I recently purchased a 97 Yellow NSX-T from Naples Motorsports. They still have the picture of the car being loaded onto the truck on their website. It can be seen Here .

The transaction was very smooth, ask for Scott or Tony. They have had the Black 1991 for a while, and have auctioned at Ebay at least twice now. You may be able to get them to come down on the price a litte.:)

Mike

Mike,

Was the black 1991 there when you bought yours? I am curious what you thought of it ? I will need to fly down from NJ to look at the car, but would love to hear from someone that actually has seen it.

Thanks again.

Beth

Beth,

The black NSX was there when I purchased mine a month ago. I have not seen the black NSX in person. I bought my car without seeing it. The description they gave was perfect and the car was exactly as promised. Heck, they even offered to split the cost of a new set of tires with me because there was only 50% tread left.

Start a new a post in this forum or the Southeast forum and I'm sure several members that are close by would be glad to go and check the car out for you or with you.

Also, I'm sure Scott at Naples Motorsports will provide you with a free carfax report on the car if you do not have one yet.

Mike:)

Back