New Corvette in Motor Trend

A ton more pics here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=720834 or http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~aap8/gallery/c6

x05ch_cr047-800.jpg

not sure if I like the looks or the interior, BUT 400 hp, 400 ft-lb of tq and a improved chassis- for $45K+ - wow:eek:

The C6 seems to have kept a little "Vette-ness", but has taken the shape of many popular sports cars of today. There's Viper, 360 Modena, S 2000, and more.

It will sell, but I doubt it will strike a real strong emotional chord with more than a few the way an NSX or even a Viper does.

Chevy did a nice job...

Nice...

Attachments

• c6_corvette_sm2.jpg
    c6_corvette_sm2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 407
I like the C6's styling slightly more than the C5. I think the dimensions have shrunk so I would assume it would look even better in a side by side comparison with the C5.

What I don't understand is how GM designers continually muff up the interior design. I think they would be better off just buying the interior parts from any Honda and using that in the build process. They used one of the most ugly feature of GM cars used since the late 80's.... The old gray buttons and black dash combination. Don't they realize this combination looks like arse??

Personally, I always want Chevy to do well. Improve quality, design better cars, and show the world that america can build great cars that are even or ahead of toyota and honda as far as build quality and reliablility.

The only 3 things I like about the C6 is the back end, the motor, and the price. The rest is (been there done that). I think they rushed the front bumper and headlamp design. If they would have spent a bit more time on those two things I think they would have had a winner. I guess they were all too concerned about the interior quality because of all the past rants/raves on that topic.

Last edited:
I think this is a fantastic bargain and they have improved the car in every major way - especially in the exterior / interior design department. Not up to Audi interior standards or as organic as a Ferrari - but much more integrated none the less and I like the nod to the stingrays - the last vette with exposed headlights.

Autoweek had a great article on it. The current "base" Corvette is predicted to give the outgoing Z06 a run - if you opt for the top of the line suspension. The new Z06 comes out a year later and is supposed to be much more different then the current Z06 to vette delta. At this performance level at almost 1/2 the list of the current NSX many shoppers would be hard pressed to pay the extra $$$ for an NSX IMO.

Build quality, fun to drive, and many other variables yet to be seen but my hats still off to Chevy for sticking with it when so many other domestic sports cars have given up.

Like it or not - this thing appears to be the "real deal" just like the outgoing C5 was.

Think of it this way - if you didn't know it was a vette and someone told you the next NSX was 400 HP small block v8, advanced magnetic suspension, low 4's to 60, 12's in the quarter, great skidpad ratings, every convienience, removable roof, NA, good gearing, and a sporty version a year later we would all be running out in the streets for joy. If someone said it was $47k you would check your pulse.

I love the NSX but if this thing has decent quality, fit, and finish my hat is off to Chevy and GM.

am I missing something here?

did you say 0-60 in 4.1s :eek:

was that a missprint:confused:

damn, how the hell do thoes chevy boys get such outragues performance for so little mony ?

somebody tell me that thereis a catch here !

I think the new vette looks great. I think the HSC looks 10x more exotic, but if it does not have the HP to back it up, it will be a flop. Then people like wildrice will again say "My Z06 will outrun a HSC for 1/2 the price.. and a neon is faster.." blah blah....

I just hope Honda steps up to the plate.

I think the new vette will be very successful, but it seems to be about 7K more than the old base price. That is A LOT. I still wonder about the interior quality also. The shots we are seeing do not represent the final interior from what I read. (quality of parts etc.)

I don't understand why they released the pics so soon though. Who would buy a 04 vette after seeing all the 05 offers?

matteni said:
I think this is a fantastic bargain and they have improved the car in every major way - especially in the exterior / interior design department. Not up to Audi interior standards or as organic as a Ferrari - but much more integrated none the less and I like the nod to the stingrays - the last vette with exposed headlights.

63 was the first year for stingrays and that is when they got rid of the exposed headlights.

matteni said:
At this performance level at almost 1/2 the list of the current NSX many shoppers would be hard pressed to pay the extra $$$ for an NSX IMO.

Nick, while I agree that the Z06 is a fab track car for the money, no where in the C6 pricing is anything 1/2 of the list of the NSX. When you look at what the new Z06 will probably cost (high $50k, I have seen $60k listed once), then it is much closer considering the increased volume. Not enough left over for a Civic beater.:D

wildrice said:
I think it might do some of use some good to read the domestic car mags and see what they have to say about the corvette. CD top ten list might be a good place to start. I don't think the NSX made the list or was even considered in the running. Could it be that it is a 14 year old design that it overpriced and underpowered. Probably not, just me bashing again, right?:cool:

Underpowered does not even enter into it. It was never considered in the running because it is too expensive. From the rules for 2003 (C&D 1/04 issue):
Its base price must fall below our price cap of $69,000 (2.5 times the average new-vehicle transaction price as of last summer.)
Unrelated note: there are 3 Hondas on this years 10-best list. No other manufacturer has more than 1 car, so I imagine Honda's not too upset with the NSX being excluded. ;)

I've driven a couple of C5's. They are nice cars, but IMHO they are no NSX. We'll have to wait to see to find out how the C6 compares, but as long as the engine is at the wrong end of the car, I doubt I'll be too interested. ;)

Don't bother responding to wildrice's posts, he got himself banned (surprise, surprise).

As a sports car enthusiast, I respect the C6 and think it's a good thing whenever a new sports car is introduced on the playing field. :) However, as an ex-GM owner, I have serious concerns about product quality and reliability. Given the choice between a new C6 or a used NSX, I would choose the NSX every time.

The latest Car and Driver also has an article about the new Corvette. Unless I read it incorrectly it sounds like GM reskinned the old chasis with a better interior and more power. It is not a new car just a facelift and some technical improvements to the old one. I may be oversimplifying a bit though.

I really like the new C6 exterior and interior. The interior looks a step up from the current C5 interior. I'm still getting use to the rear of the C6. I remember seeing the C5 for the first time and thought the rear was a bit big. Now it looks ok. I'm sure once I get use to the C6, the rear design will look good too.

Kudos to Chevy for doing a great job with the C6. I look forward to reading the reviews.

Back