NEW CarFax Update, Watch your backs

I got an email today telling me that my CarFax account has been cancelled, and they are reserving the right to charge me $19.99 per report that I may have used for anyone other than myself.

Thought you guys should be aware.

Pm doesn't have the character amount capacity, but email does.

I got the same smack down from them a couple weeks ago too. Shut me down in just a couple hours.

CarF@x...

CarF@x -> PDF -> imageshack.us -> attach image to pm/thread
CarF@x -> PDF -> attach PDF file to pm/thread

If VIN of NSX is placed in subject or post, future "search" will still yield some insights... while CarF@x bots searching for reports won't be able to process the trigger/"buzz" words from the attachment.

Just a random thought... :redface: I like the archive-type info' that 'Prime has to offer, it was of great benefit to me when I was in the market for a NSX.

Nota Bene: I am advocating the posting of reports that a prospective buyer has produced of his own volition, not the solicitation of reports by others. Running a VIN for another person would be a personal decision to help someone out as a goodwill gesture.

NsXMas said:
just don't post any carfax results. use the PM.

More like don't post the VIN. If they see a post that says car.fax please on JH4NAwhatever, and then someone runs that vin (whether they post or PM the results) then all they have to do is check back through thier database for whoever's active account ran that VIN. The good sumaritain gets the nastygram, and theoretically the practice stops.

If you never post the vin, then they have no idea who is running vins only for themselves and who is running them to help a friend. Don't post the vin, don't spell car.fax correctly and don't post the report (which contains the vin) when someone runs it for you. If you do none of these things, how could they possibly track it back?

I ran something like 30 NSXs when looking for mine. They sent me an e-mail asking me why I ran so many, and I responded basically 'I bought an unlimited account, I'm looking at NSXs that are for sale, I don't like to waste time on wrecked cars and beyond that what business is it of yours as long as it is for personal use?'

White94 said:
<snip> The good sumaritain <snip>
you mean the thief, don't you?

if you agree to the license / terms of service for a product, abide by them; if you don't agree with them, don't sign up for the service, then abuse the service and their employees by stealing what you've agreed to use under their terms.

i'm uninterested in hearing the response of "well, the information isn't very good / is crap anyway, so what's the big deal?"... seems unlikely to me people would have signed up for it if they thought it was absolute crap.

fwiw, i've used carfax 1x and am not necessarily a fan of the service or the quality of the data they provide. i am, however, a fan of each employee and company receiving value for what they provide in their respective marketplace.

Morals are not legislated. I paid for carfaxes for both my cars. The problem is not your arguement, it is where you draw the line.

Example: lets say I am intested in all 1994s nsx. I run carfaxes on my top 5, and find that 4/5 are salvaged or in a wreck. I buy #5. Someone else asks about one of the others. Can I tell him I ran a carfax? Tell him that I didn't buy it b/c it was salvaged? Can I share a copy of the carfax I already ran? Everybody makes up thier own mind.

If they don't think its wrong, and don't want the good sumaritain who shares the same opinion to get charged $19.95 by Carfax, then don't post the VIN.

Legal and moral are 2 totally seperate ideas.

White94 said:
Morals are not legislated. I paid for carfaxes for both my cars. The problem is not your arguement, it is where you draw the line. <snip>
if you have agreed to the terms of their services / license agreement, you are bound to follow the terms of the agreement regarding your use. if your usage is not defined in their service / license agreement and you have a question about how you want to use it, you probably have two options: (1) do waht you want and see what happens, pleading ignorance when the hammer falls your way Or (2) contact the provider to find out if your proposed usage of their services / product violate the terms of their agreement. are you legally obligated to do the latter? can't tell ya, i'm not a lawyer.

otherwise you may end up on the >$19.95 end of the stick and sometime down the road, heck you may end up with your name in legal lights.

i suggest if you want to sponsor violating carfax (or other service / product provider terms), you... oh, what's the phrase today - OH YEAH, I'VE GOT IT: Man Up and publicly violate their terms in no uncertain terms so they can help you / others work through the issues.

yeah, that's the ticket. Man Up.

queenlives said:
OH YEAH, I'VE GOT IT: Man Up and publicly violate their terms in no uncertain terms so they can help you / others work through the issues.

yeah, that's the ticket. Man Up.
READ THE POST

To the best of my recollection, I never given nor requested a carfax outside of thier limited time 'free promo's. I know how to break the decryption on DVDs too, but have never copied one.

Look I have no desire to pull a Jerry Springer here, and you've always seemed like a good dude. If we need to continue this, it'll have to be via another method. Pm me if you want. ICQ is there. E-mail is in prime, etc.

Last edited:
White94 said:
Legal and moral are 2 totally seperate ideas.
Sometimes true, maybe even true in this case.

My morals as a long-time programmer say that the creator of valuable electronic content should have a say in how and when that content is distributed and that their wishes should be spelled out in an agreement available to the end-user prior to purchase.

Before I bought my NSX last year I paid for a month of Carfax and wound up running a bunch of reports for people here on prime. I did it because I felt like Carfax's terms of service were ambiguous and could reasonably be interpreted to allow me to do this.

After about 40 reports, I got an email from Carfax questioning my motives for running so many. At that point, I chilled my heals and before long my month was up and that was that.

So, the question is, has Carfax changed their TOS to be less ambiguous. I don't know, haven't looked, don't really care.

My take at the time was that Carfax was letting people do this in order to spread their brand awareness and their motive for cracking down now is to cash in, to reap the benefits of ubiquity. It's the Microsoft model to a "T".

I've heard of several people being threatened and of no one actually being charged big bucks. The cancellation of accounts seems to be fairly recent.

In the end, it's their product and they're entitled to set the terms. I hope their TOS is not as gray and fuzzy as it used to be. If they're going to hammer people, they should be clear from the start.

White94 said:
READ THE POST

To the best of my recollection, I never given nor requested a carfax outside of thier limited time 'free promo's. I know how to break the decryption on DVDs too, but have never copied one.

Look I have no desire to pull a Jerry Springer here, and you've always seemed like a good dude. If we need to continue this, it'll have to be via another method. Pm me if you want. ICQ is there. E-mail is in prime, etc.
sorry for the delay in responding, i've been away (ok, at a Queen concert! :)

my apologies, i took what you said and (unintentionally) ignored the "example" component.

hal

Carfax Tos

(if anybody's actually interested) this is the text from the carfax agreement:

"...redistribution of CARFAX Reports is strictly prohibited and may lead to deactivation of my account and the imposition of additional charges for CARFAX Reports."

Back