• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New carbon clutch slipping?

I just need technical opinion on this problem that I'm having.

Having Comptech PG2 for 3 years last month I notice it started to slip to my surprise at around 6k rpm's in 3rd gear. I could not believe my self since PG2 is so stiff that it makes you believe that it can pull a tank. I tried to bleed the system but it was the same so I went and got exedy twin carbon clutch. I didn't drive it 2 miles with the new clutch and I notice it slip at 6-7k rpm's. ??? I know I have to wait 500miles for power shifting, but still I think it should not do that... The old PG2 clutch after removing had some meet left on the disk maybe 1mm.

The exedy twin carbon clutch is luxury compare to PG2. Pedal feel is way to light for me after switching from PG2. It makes noise on IDLE and it shatters a bit, but NSX revs much quicker. Very noticeable from 2k and up. Car feels like rice burner bike :)

My question is why a new clutch would slip ? From reading some posts it points me to slave cylinder? I replace master cylinder 6months ago, but not slave. The pedal feel is very precise and with just a little push the clutch disengages. I never have to push the pedal more then 1/2 way to fully disengage it. Are those are the symptoms of bad slave cylinder? From Comptech Power Grip 2 I left the small hockey puck that goes just before the slave cylinder. Should I remove it and install OEM? I'm putting down around 360tq and I think it should hold it OK.

Thanks,

Two things will cause the clutch to slip if it is not worn out, which after 3 miles should not be:)

1. No end play in the clutch pedal

2. Too much grease used during the installation.

#1 is higher probability since you have changed clutch types. Check the service manual and make sure the clutch pedal free play is correct. If it is tight and has no free play, it will surely slip when hot.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, thanks I'll check it out. I'm so mad that all that work and it slips. I hope it is some thing simple. I have now 110miles on it and it is the same. On a side note does flywheel needs to be centered/aligned or the 17mm screws that are in the center of it will center it once tighten down?

Yes, Exedy twin carbon disk does spin up faster then PG2. It is not one of those mods that you only should feel in theory, but it is noticeable the first time you drive it. Moving from stop up hill needs more reving... When cold it shatters more then after driving it for 10min. it gets better. When starting the car the starter starts the car in 1/2 key turn, and you can hear the starter rev up the engine. I like the way it spins up and pedal feel is very light.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 1488.jpg
    1488.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 97
FIXED !!!!!

The problem was the slave clutch cylinder. After 15 years maybe it was worn out.

Forget what I said about this clutch before. It is just as stiff now as PG2 and almost ON and OFF feel to it. And it shatters more now with new slave cylinder then before. Holds down awsome.

Back