New Car Breaking In Procedure

Is there any rules of thumb in the proper breaking in of a new car that you guys know of. I've read that you want to limit your speed to 65 and no hot, off the line starts or hard stops for at least 500 miles. Any other input would be greatly appreciated

Can someone confirm this?

I've also been told that for ideal ring seating, use "engine braking" as much as possible for the 1st 500 miles. IOW, in 1st gear, rev to 5500 RPM and let off the gas, remaining in 1st until you need to put it in neutral to avoid stalling.

This generates greater compression and allows for better seating.

NSXGMS, what do you need confirmed?

I did my break-in on my car with 100% local miles, no highway driving. Not sure whether this is a good thing or not.

RyRy210 said:
NSXGMS, what do you need confirmed?

I did my break-in on my car with 100% local miles, no highway driving. Not sure whether this is a good thing or not.

Just whether or not the "engine braking" method which creates more compression does indeed help in any way to break in the engine and seat things properly, and if you should "over" engine brake because of that phenomenon.

Looking for someone who knows more about engine physics than I do and can comment...:smile:

G

I the main point of the break in period is to get the rings to seat properly. Just do what the owner's manual recommends and leave the factory dino oil in there and you should be fine. It seems to me the K and F blocks have A LOT of trouble seating rings, where as the the C blocks have very few if any problems. I wouldn't sweat it beyond what the owner's manual recommends.

Hmm.. I was unduly influenced by an article which said that the engines are made to run before they are even put in the car and that there is no real reason to break them in overly carefully.

I consequently hit fuel cutoff as soon as I drove my brand new prelude off the dealer lot in 2000. Car is still doing fine. I am probably an idiot, but then, most people are and I would think the car companies would have gone broke unless they all put rpm recording blackboxes in cars allowign them not to replace a broken engine (you violated the break in terms sir/maam). In other words, engines would have been made mostly idiot proof. Your mileage may vary though :-) but I don't think you have to worry excesively about it.

[edit] No idea if I permanentlt damaged the piston rings however [/edit]

-vamsi

Back