New-be With Many Questions

Hello,
I have only admired the NSX from afar and know virtually NOTHING about them other than the few things I have read today.

I currently own several vintage pieces of American muscle and am considering selling my option rich, 1966 Corvette coupe.

I am considering replacing the Corvette with a preowned NSX for a semi daliy driver.

I would appreciate it if some of you would take the time to school me on these cars.

Here are my questions:

!. It seems from the little I have read that there was very little change in these cars from there beginning until 1997 when there was a H.P. gain, is there any other changes that I am not aware of?

2. It is my understanding that the targa top model was all that was available for U.S. sales in 1995. How tight is this model regarding wind noise and water leakage? Does it compromise the structural integrety?

3. What was the source of the 20 H.P. gain in 1997, C.I.D. or some other enhancement that can be easily applied to the eariler models?

4. I saw one of these cars at a parking lot car show at the Pavillions in Scottsdale, AZ. about a year ago that I believe the owner said he had installed a twin turbo on. Does anyone know the cost and power gain from this conversion?

5. I live in the Phoenix area part time and of course am concerned about the cars A/C output and the heat gain in the cockpit from the engine and large glass area, does anyone have experience with these cars in this type of climate?

6. Any overheating problems with these cars in my climate?

7. Are there any inherent problems with these cars that I should be aware of?

8. Are these car's bodies made completely of aluminum and if so is it of a thin enough gauge that it requires any special care from say people leaning on it?

9. Are there any simple modifications such as fuel rail, computer chip, exhuast, or other things to increase the H.P.?

10. I read something breifly about front end scuffing that was reduced with larger diameter wheels, does this effect the speedometer reading through computer or is it easily overcome with a different speedometer gear?

11. Where is the best place to find these cars advertised by private owner? I have seen several on Ebay but wonder if there are other sources that will be better?

12. How many tire sources are there for these cars and what is the approximate cost?

13. Do these cars use a timing belt or chain and if a belt is there a conversion available for a chain?

14. I see that the compression is fairly high on these cars by todays standards, do they require premium fuel, or is the timing computer controlled to overcome this need if the car is not using premium fuel under hard driving conditions?

Thanks in advance.

If I think of any others (as I am sure I will) or if there is anything any of you see I have overlooked please be forthcoming with your help.

Welcome to NSXprime...!

66hemi said:
!. It seems from the little I have read that there was very little change in these cars from there beginning until 1997 when there was a H.P. gain, is there any other changes that I am not aware of?
See this page (and various other FAQ pages that cover many questions about the NSX).

2. It is my understanding that the targa top model was all that was available for U.S. sales in 1995. How tight is this model regarding wind noise and water leakage? Does it compromise the structural integrety?
The structure of the car was beefed up to help compensate for the lack of a fixed roof, but even so the -T model is flexier.

3. What was the source of the 20 H.P. gain in 1997, C.I.D. or some other enhancement that can be easily applied to the eariler models?
The bore (and thus the displacement) was increased, valve sizes were changed, headers added, and other changes.

9. Are there any simple modifications such as fuel rail, computer chip, exhuast, or other things to increase the H.P.?
Various aftermarket mods are available: intake, headers, exhaust, and others.

13. Do these cars use a timing belt or chain and if a belt is there a conversion available for a chain?
Belt. I don't know if anyone has done a conversion, but I shudder to think of what a pain it would be to add a chain and the required oil bath.

I'll leave the other points for those who can give more informed answers than I can.

66hemi said:
11. Where is the best place to find these cars advertised by private owner? I have seen several on Ebay but wonder if there are other sources that will be better?
I posted what I wanted in the NSX's Wanted section of this website and my car found me. Give it a try!

THANK YOU.
Many of my question were answered by members here in replies to this thread.

Here are the ones I still need answers to:

It is my understanding that the targa top model was all that was available for U.S. sales in 1995. How tight is this model regarding wind noise and water leakage?

I saw one of these cars at a parking lot car show at the Pavillions in Scottsdale, AZ. about a year ago that I believe the owner said he had installed a twin turbo on. Does anyone know the cost and power gain from this conversion?

I live in the Phoenix area part time and of course am concerned about the cars A/C output and the heat gain in the cockpit from the engine and large glass area, does anyone have experience with these cars in this type of climate?

I read something breifly about front end scuffing that was reduced with larger diameter wheels, does this effect the speedometer reading through computer or is it easily overcome with a different speedometer gear?

How many tire sources are there for these cars and what is the approximate cost?

Wind noise w/ the T version is no worse than other T style cars in which I have ridden. As to water leakage, I don't have a problem with it.

The A/C is, IMHO, not the best. In stop-and-go traffic, I generally need to open the windows for circulation.

Back