New and Hopeful Purchaser with Questions

Hey everybody,

My names Zac. Ive been real interested in AWHILE now to get a 1st gen in blue or white NSX and was wondering about them. I dont know much about the NSX history wise and wanted to catch up. Such as what should I expect with a 1st gen mechanically and everything else. Are there usual problems that occur after so long, stuff like that? I just want to do my research with these things before I get one. I would also like to know how hard are they to work on? (Sorry if this was brought up before)

Also should I be looking into any one with ANY mileage? As in does mileage matter in these cars case? And wheres the best place to buy them with a great deals.

Lil history bout myself. Ive been working on and driving Hondas for years. As of right now I have a 2010 Fit (DD), a 89 CRX Si (Track Whore), a 09 Ruckus (Fun lil toy). As you can see i love em and want to take things to the next step and buy the big boy. I LOVE the first 1st gens only cause I think the 2nd Gens looks are killed by the lights. But thats just me.

Thank you soooooo much everyone.

Ah just start by reading threads on this web site and using the "search" to answer your specific questions. Good luck.

zeebrax, welcome to prime, there are so much info on prime, start by going to the search and wiki page, good luck in your search and what a fun process it is

My names Zac. Ive been real interested in AWHILE now to get a 1st gen in blue or white NSX and was wondering about them.

You picked some rare colors...everyone is looking for white and
Blue is also very hard to come by.

Good luck on the search, you joined a great forum!

Monte Carlo Blue is 1997+
Monaco Blue is 2000+
Long Beach Blue Pearl is 2002+

So, there is no blue available for first generation NSX's.

These are reliable cars, all of the information is in the wiki. Mileage is not that big of a concern, but service history is. I would try to find a car with a recent timing belt and clutch service, as these are the only expensive maintenance items on the car. Insurance is surprisingly inexpensive, and fuel economy is around 25mpg.

I have driven cars with 130k miles that drive just as well as cars with 65k miles; it depends on how well it was taken care of, and who took care of it.

Knowing your budget is the first step in committing. Then with that budget we can help you narrow it down a bit. This is such an open ended question it's hard to know where to start.

Scorp's post is very good info. High mileage in itself is not a major concern. As I say a lot depends on your budget - basically it goes like this: If it's high miles the interior may suffer a little in the drivers seat. What you are looking for as Scorp said are records. Little dealers seldom ever have them. They're prices are higher - not a good place to start looking. Start on Prime and Autotrader, Cars.com.

When buying a first gen car - rule of thumb is have 5 to 7k in reserve for deffered maintenance. It is better to wait for one that has maintenance up to date. Timing belt/water pump/hoses - around 2400. Check the clutch, master and slave - the leaks for those are way up under the dash and if they have not been replaced - they will need to be. Clutch for a NA1 is around 2500. The AC if it hasn't been gone thru will need it most likely - that can get on up there around 1500 if something hasn't been done. The stereo - you can send to one of our primers for repair but you have to take it out and send it in. That can cost - if everthing is needed as in speaker amps rebuilt and head unit around 1000. Something like that - BrianK - that's his handle can answer that better. The automatic window regulators will need work if they haven't been touched eventually if not sooner. Starting to pile up isn't it ! Right - that's why you buy from a guy that has records and a lot of em. The more the years and miles the more extensive will be the records.

This is not a cheap car to own if things haven't been kept up and even if they have there is most surely something that will be needed. The lower the buy in price the more you better have in reserve!

Buy the latest model, with the fewest miles, and most history from an individual owner you can afford! That is the best advice anyone can give you. Good luck!

Wow thanks guys.

But yea I got a lil confused. I thought all NSX that have flip up lights are considered the 1st gen. Hmm goes to show how much info I know about them.

But yea My budget is below 20k. But yea Im not too worried bout the sound system. Prob just go aftermarket if that fails. Window switches are probably an easy fix. But the rest seems like a good amount of work. Thanks

O and I want a NSX-T as well.

Last edited:
Wow thanks guys.

But yea I got a lil confused. I thought all NSX that have flip up lights are considered the 1st gen. Hmm goes to show how much info I know about them.

But yea My budget is below 20k. But yea Im not too worried bout the sound system. Prob just go aftermarket if that fails. Window switches are probably an easy fix. But the rest seems like a good amount of work. Thanks

Budget below 20k is probably salvage with high miles! Be carefull, wait until you can afford a better car, or before you know it you'll have spent what it could have cost you to buy a better car to start.

An NSX-T will be 1995 or newer.

That will be a very large stretch finding one of those $20k or less. From what I've seen, possibly one with a salvage title, but even that would be a stretch in my opinion.

Good luck in your hunt. Several of us searched for quite some time before making the purchase.

Keep us posted. They are wonderful cars.

Welcome to Prime. :smile:

-Rod

Zeebra,

I'm going to say something and I don't mean to hurt your feelings but you do not have enough money to buy an NSX. You are way short unless you want a car with 200k miles on it and a list of deffered maintenance or a salvage car - NOT ONE OF US WOULD RECOMMEND ANY OF THAT!!

You need to save up, take your time and read a lot on this site -as in at least a year of reading threads and learning while you save....and then save some more.

I'm going to say that there are cars out there for below 20k - but they aren't going to be targas. There are guys that buy these cars a year later they are selling cause they weren't ready to start maintaining them properly. You don't want to become a statistic.

Read up and hang out - take your time - ger real familiar. There is a lot to learn and if you're not careful a lot to spend....:wink:

Hey Zac,

Tim's advise is good advise.

The best price for an NSX-T I've seen would be last June from an auction that Heat posted.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123298

A 96 NSX-T (I believe it was an AT) that went for $24,300.

The pictures are gone, but it looked like it was in good shape. I don't know how it ran.

It would be wise to continue saving, to not only have the money to make the purchase, but also extra for maintenance, etc. Especially if you plan on using it for a DD.

These cars are very reliable, but if it did need repairs, they could be fairly costly, and if you don't have the resources to get it fixed right away, you could be walking.

Good luck finding a car and keep us posted.

- Rod

Wow thanks guys.

You should probably do a bit more research then. Finding an NSX under 20k is HARD... and one with a targa is near impossible. I've only seen 91s and 92s go for below 20k, and the people who bought them got some good steals! On top of that, you want one with the maintenance done which is most likely going to run you over 20k. Either way, you still need a couple thousand ready for maintenance as soon as you get it. A guy on here recently sold his 91 salvaged NSX with 150k miles for 18k and because it was a 91 it was a coupe (targas came in 95). So you can find one for under 20k, but it may not be what you're looking for.

Also, prices are lower now than they have been in the past. So if you can't afford one now, save up because the prices will slowly increase again.

Last edited:
Yea you guys are right. Ive been looking hard and theres nothin. I should save up some more and defff learn more about them.

Thank you everybody.

Back