New Acura RL

Was just at the dealer picking up O-rings for my injectors, I decided to sit in one on the show floor and I'm pretty impressed.

The color was a metallic sky blue color which I didn't find to appealing but the overall shape and build quality inside was nice.

I really liked the cneter control know for the nav. The car is bigger than I expected also! kinda like a MB S-class sized.

Its nice! ... alot nicer than the old bland styling of the old RL

I sat in one saturday and I was also very impressed. It sure doesn't look a lot bigger than our TL though. The interior is WAY nicer than the TL. I did not get to drive it, but they told me to come back this week and take it for a spin. Maybe tomorrow.

You have GOT to drive this car. It is fantastic. With a 98 RL, a 02 MDX and my 94 NSX, obviously, I am a little prejudice. But Honda has really raised the bar in this class of automobile. Mercedes, BMW and Lexus buyers should spend a little time at their local Acura dealer. They will be impressed.

Early reports put the price at "well south" of $50,000. Somebody needs a geography lesson. I think the sticker was $49,740. You may also want to add the 18" wheels, a rear lip spoiler and maybe one or two other accessories.

Paddle shifters, 300 HP, SH AWD.... This car is a winner.

Norm

92NSX said:
I was shocked to learn that the NAV screen isn't touch sensitive like in my TL.
Believe me, the navigation button/i-drive type system feels very comfortable

hey ktan, do you own an acura with idrive? Just curious. I cant imagine that being more user friendly than the touch screen. Although the voice activation is what you wind up using most of the time. I think the new rl has that, doesnt it?

I would love one of those for my daily driver. But I will likely end up with a Toyota Prius (Ugly) for the 48 MPG and the carpool lane admissability in CA very soon for a solo driver.

Why can't Honda make the Accord coupe a hybrid with the EX equip. package? I want leather, killer sounds, full electric interior, all the stuff that the Prius comes with, hell it even comes with HID lights! Wake up Honda, I beg you.

Cairo94507 said:
Why can't Honda make the Accord coupe a hybrid with the EX equip. package? I want leather, killer sounds, full electric interior, all the stuff that the Prius comes with, hell it even comes with HID lights! Wake up Honda, I beg you.

Chill out. The Accord hybrid has already been designed. It comes out next year I believe.

The Accord Hybrid will be here in December. There is already info on it on Honda's website. I don't think it will come in the coupe though.

I drove the RL on Saturday.

I was not impressed. The interior wood looks horrible. The rear seats appear to have less room than my 04 TL. The engine is not nearly as responsive as I had expected for 300 hp, and it is overall far too soft and slow for my tastes. The sunroof is on the small side.

I don't like the loss of the touch-screen Navi. The controller is okay, but I feel they could have had both.

I could hardly notice the AWD on the test drive. It is really more of an absence of torque steer and front wheel hop than something that manifests itself overtly.

I should have pressed it a little more, but it just seemed more comfortable at an easy pace.

I have no desire for one. YMMV.

92NSX said:
I was shocked to learn that the NAV screen isn't touch sensitive like in my TL.

I'm sure it does just a little surprizing that they wouldn't use the same type arrangement in their flagship car.

hmmm... Aren't 500 voice activated functions enough? Who needs fingers when you got lips...!?! :p

For newer TL owners though, your sound system is superior to the RL's IMHO.

I think the newer RL is def' a big step ahead of it's predecessor. On TV or photos it looks much smaller & compact. In person, one can really appreciate it's dimensions and lines (alot was said of it's rear styling cues, ala' Bangle-style... not the case at all, atleast for me!). Yes, it does look like an Accord on growth hormones w/ a cycle or two of 'roids... oh well, I still like it. :cool:

But...

~do I like it 17.5 grand more than a TL (5spd AT or 6spd MT in all TL levels)...
~do I like it 15.5 grand more than a nav' equipped TL...
~do I like it 12.5 grand more than an A-Spec Package TL w/o nav'...
~do I like it 10.5 grand more than a nav' equipped, A-Spec Package TL ...

:confused:

(I wonder when the dealers start offering incentives, ie. discounts on the TL)

Hi guys, i'm new here, as you all know. Just want to say hi to everyone! I have a 04' RL, and i guess its pretty fun to drive around in. even though i really hate FF car's i still like the old RL. Sierra Acura of Alhambra is holding a unveiling of the new RL, and i am just wondering, is anyone close by Arcadia? I'm really close to Temple City, and i dont see any NSX's except my cousin's. I am deciding if i should buy a NSX. I'm just worried people will key my car. Anyways, back on topic, the new RL looks really weird, IMO. The front looks more like a Camry. Even if it gets 300Hp, the old one looked more professional i guess?

...But I will likely end up with a Toyota Prius (Ugly) for the 48 MPG and the carpool lane admissability in CA very soon for a solo driver.

Hmmm...must've missed this one. Explain please.

Joel,

I think in California, they are going to pass laws that allow "fuel efficient" cars, i.e. hybrid car drivers to drive solo in car pool lanes. Kind of a perk for buying a environment friendly vehicle.

Osiris_x11 said:
hmmm... Aren't 500 voice activated functions enough? Who needs fingers when you got lips...!?! :p

For newer TL owners though, your sound system is superior to the RL's IMHO.

I think the newer RL is def' a big step ahead of it's predecessor. On TV or photos it looks much smaller & compact. In person, one can really appreciate it's dimensions and lines (alot was said of it's rear styling cues, ala' Bangle-style... not the case at all, atleast for me!). Yes, it does look like an Accord on growth hormones w/ a cycle or two of 'roids... oh well, I still like it. :cool:

But...

~do I like it 17.5 grand more than a TL (5spd AT or 6spd MT in all TL levels)...
~do I like it 15.5 grand more than a nav' equipped TL...
~do I like it 12.5 grand more than an A-Spec Package TL w/o nav'...
~do I like it 10.5 grand more than a nav' equipped, A-Spec Package TL ...

:confused:

(I wonder when the dealers start offering incentives, ie. discounts on the TL)

I still like having the touch sensitive screen. BTW, mine is an 04.
The RL is a very nice piece of machinery indeed, but as you have done a fine job of pointing out it's not worth the extra $$$ you spend over a 04+ TL.
JMHO

K.O. said:
Joel,

I think in California, they are going to pass laws that allow "fuel efficient" cars, i.e. hybrid car drivers to drive solo in car pool lanes. Kind of a perk for buying a environment friendly vehicle.

incorrect. if it has a tailpipe which produces any emissions, then you cannot drive in the carpool lane. Only ZERO emission vehicles are allowed. FYI.

Jack

TL's where it's @ !

92NSX said:
I still like having the touch sensitive screen. BTW, mine is an 04...
hmmm... Maurice, I already knew you were ballin' w/ a newer gen' TL...! :cool: The choice of touch-screen w/ voice activation would be win-win indeed. The LCD screen for the RL however is beyond the reach of the driver, hence perhaps why it isn't touch-screen :confused:

I know AcuraNSXPilot has a last gen' TL and NetViper has a newer gen' TL as well, so I was a bit vague in who I was directing my previous comment to. Doh!?! :D

Yesterday was Acura-fun-for-the-day, today was Mercedes Benz fun-for-the-day... Tomorrow I have Jaguar & Land Rover planned in organizer. . . :p

Back