New 91 BB owner....Start of mods and fixes for the car....need advice plz

I just picked up a 91 BB last Thursday! I am already looking into what I'm going to do with the car. I know there are probably many threads that address what I need answered. So if you guys want to point me to the threads/links that answer some of my questions that would be cool. If you feel like responding then that would be awesome as well.

1. I want to put on a CAI kit, but don't know if the stock airbox will suffice for all mods minus FI? I guess what I'm asking, is a K&N drop in filter enough to supply the air needs (better sound as well) for the engine with headers/hi-flow cats/exhaust? Do you guys have any recommendations for CAI kits that pull in cold air from the side opening and not hot air from the engine bay?

2. The car currently has a Comptech exhaust V2 from what I was told, but it doesn't look like the V2 that I've seen on youtube clips when I searched? Can someone post what the tips should look like for the version 2 Comptech exhaust if they have any handy for comparison sake? If tips are interchangeable, then how can I tell what version of exhaust I have?

3. The car has TSW 18"/19" wheels the fronts are 215/35 & rears are 265/30. The tires need to be replaced, I called discount tire to get some quotes on different tires and tried to find the same brand/tire for all 4, but didn't have a lot of luck. The only ones that discount said in that size that they could do were the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 & Continental Extreme DWS (Which are all seasons & not the DW). If I wanted other tire brands they would have to be different for the fronts and backs which I don't really want to do. What are others running that fit those tire sizes that are all the same tire essentially?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I figured this would be easier than posting several spread across different threads.

Thx

Welcome and congrats on the new purchase! I'll try to help out here a bit but i'm no expert so hopefully some of the more seasoned owners will chime in.

1. The stock air box flows pretty well and is fine for most non-fi applications. If you're interested in a very slight bump in power but a deeper tone you could install one of the downforce intake scoops. They're relatively inexpensive.

2. I'm not familiar with the tip difference, however you can check out Comptech's website which has more detailed photos of the updated version.

3. The link here is a great discussion on proper 18/19 tire choices. It's 8 pages long but a good read. It provides several options at all price points.http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/143878-18-19-Tire-choices!!!

Hope that helps and once again welcome! More importantly enjoy the car!

Matt

Matt

Thanks for the responses! I just finished up the thread on the tires and that helps out a lot, guess I just have to do a little more research tomorrow at tire rack to see their options as well. Also reading that thread I didn't get a clear answer as too what would be preferable for the rears 265/30/19 or the 275/30/19? They kept bringing up either one would be fine, right now the 265/30 are installed, but if the 275/30 would be a better fit since I have a 91 then that's the size that i'll look for?

I just picked up a 91 BB last Thursday! I am already looking into what I'm going to do with the car. I know there are probably many threads that address what I need answered. So if you guys want to point me to the threads/links that answer some of my questions that would be cool. If you feel like responding then that would be awesome as well.

1. I want to put on a CAI kit, but don't know if the stock airbox will suffice for all mods minus FI? I guess what I'm asking, is a K&N drop in filter enough to supply the air needs (better sound as well) for the engine with headers/hi-flow cats/exhaust? Do you guys have any recommendations for CAI kits that pull in cold air from the side opening and not hot air from the engine bay?

2. The car currently has a Comptech exhaust V2 from what I was told, but it doesn't look like the V2 that I've seen on youtube clips when I searched? Can someone post what the tips should look like for the version 2 Comptech exhaust if they have any handy for comparison sake? If tips are interchangeable, then how can I tell what version of exhaust I have?

3. The car has TSW 18"/19" wheels the fronts are 215/35 & rears are 265/30. The tires need to be replaced, I called discount tire to get some quotes on different tires and tried to find the same brand/tire for all 4, but didn't have a lot of luck. The only ones that discount said in that size that they could do were the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 & Continental Extreme DWS (Which are all seasons & not the DW). If I wanted other tire brands they would have to be different for the fronts and backs which I don't really want to do. What are others running that fit those tire sizes that are all the same tire essentially?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I figured this would be easier than posting several spread across different threads.

Thx

1) The intake scoop is cool but it doesn't really add any HP and it gets your air filter dirtier quicker. If you want the sound and have it not cost anything, just remove the piping under the fender. You'll still be pulling cool air from the fender area, it's free and you won't get the air filter dirtier quicker. After you try that, if you really want to spend money, the Downforce or the DaliRacing scoops are the cheapest, but they are copies of the Cantrell Concepts. More options are outlined in the NSX Wiki here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Air_Intake

2) As for the exhaust, the easiest way to tell the difference between the v1 and v2 is by looking at the muffler section.

This is the v1. Notice that the muffler is 1 single large canister.
attachment.php

The V2 has two canisters, welded together.
230-005t2.jpg

3) The link OBX provided is your best bet. For my 18/19 tires, I run the Kumho SPT in 215/35/18 and 275/30/19 on my 1995 with no issues.

Last edited:
I went out and looked at the exhaust and it has one single canister design with divots in the middle of the canister? I'm going to have to go take some pics of it and upload them.

- - - Updated - - -

Just went out and took some pics but can't figure out how to load attach them in this thread? I hit the insert image button above and would be pulling them from my computer, but for some reason it won't let me access my computer? Any tips

Back