Need to RAISE the NSX an inch to stop scraping

Hello, folks,

New NSX owner here - please be gentle. <smile>

My 1991 black beauty scrapes on everything - my driveway, my office's driveway, the grocery store's parking lot entryway. The car has 205/50ZR15 on the front, 225/50ZR16 on the rear. Am wondering:

1. Is it possible to raise the car an inch somehow? If so, is that something a Honda dealer's service dept. can do - I am not mechanically inclined.

2. Can you put larger-diameter tires on the car, and if so, what size, what wheels, etc, without messing up braking or steering?

As far as I can tell, the car hasn't been lowered by its previous owner(s) - but I don't even know what to look for.

If there is a person or shop in the SF Bay Area that I could bring the car to and ask them to "please solve this problem for me," I would appreciate the recommendation.

Thank you! -Alan</smile>

Post a picture on level ground and we'll most likely be able to determine if it's stock height or not.

If so you want to raise it an inch HIGHER?

I may suggest investing in an inexpensive coilover set and Ravi's VRH system where you can left past steep driveways. Do a search for VRH system and threads will come up with video's. It's not cheap, but it does the job.

Or you can just scrape on everything like a bunch of us do :biggrin:

Last edited:
That is the problem I have. You can read my coilover thread for more info. (mind you I have 18/19s)

Thanks - will shoot another photo at a parking lot soon.

I've only had the car for nine days, so haven't looked into any remedies yet!

+1 your front end looks lowered while your rear looks OEM

(which would give you a weird angle and is not a good thing for handling)

You need to determine what shocks and springs you have on your car

jack her up at the jack points, pull a front wheel and rear wheel, and take pictures for us

Few things:
- Make sure your driving style to match the height of the car. Low cars need to be driven differently than standard sedans and SUVs.
- As synth19 said, if this is the first time you've driven a car this low, do not enter driveways straight on. Enter them at a 45 degree angle and do it slow.
- Your car is definitely lowered. Raise the car somehow so you can snap a picture of the suspension (either by going 45 degrees & halfway up the driveway, or by using a jack). Post the picture here.

these cars are low though and require taking driveways and large speedbumps at angles. stock should clear parking blocks though. even mine lowered will just clear parking blocks.

get 94-01 wheels.
16" front and 17" rear = 1" raise all around :)

Thats what I was thinking too. Its a nice update to the car and will help you out with your problem too. Then you can just sell the old wheels so it doesnt hurt your pocket as much.

Front suspension!

Attachments

• IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 147
Rear suspension!

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 98
Looks like you have Eibach's in the rear, so assuming the front are the same. That would mean you are lowered about 1.25"

So you could go back to OEM, I think I even have my OEM spring sitting around still would have to check or you could get some springs that don't lower as aggresively.

I concur. Looks like you have Eibach lowering springs on her, which is advertised for a 1.25" drop in ride height front and rear. Too, check the sticker inside your drivers door and see if you have stock tire size on there... Lower profile tires will drop overall ride height as well...

By the way, welcome to the most graceful car on the road...and our group!

Tim.

Also, FYI...
In the day, when someone wanted to "drop" their cars, they would put an aftermarket set of "lowering" springs on their factory shocks (or buy lower profile tires...or both, which may be your case).
Then, aftermarket shock absorber companies (like Bilstein) would add a lower spring perch option for those who kept factory springs but wanted new shocks.
Now, coilover suspensions are permeating the marketplace ranging from about $850 to $5,000 for a set of 4 height (and damper) adjustable shock/spring combinations. Quite a range of possibilites, huh? Now... Welcome to our world!! We're all nuts... :-)

Tim.

yeah same sprimgs i have.

you will get use to it.

I started to buy front lower lips every paycheck

so Im all stocked up, was tired of the lower lip from hanging and grinding on the cement so what I did was run some thick coarse screws next to the OEM clips and now when i hit something it folds the lip under the car and pops back out after.

I have not changed lips is awhile now. the bottom of the current lip looks scapped up but when you look at it it not noticable.

I also had those exact rims. switched to the 2001 rims makes my black NSX look better with the newer style rims. and the rims raised the car a little that may have helped to.

wait till you hit a speed bump LOL with those springs

nice color though

or remove the front lower lip and no more worries

Going back to stock height will eliminate the rubbing on the front as well. That is where your polished = sign is coming from.

There is a set of OEM springs for sale in the market place for all of $30USD.

You may want to consider new dampers as well. If those springs have been on the OEM shock for a while they tend to shorten the life of the damper.

Back