• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need some real estate advice . . . regarding mold :(

hi guys . . . was hoping to get your thoughts on this if anyone has had any experience with mold in a home. my wife and i are half way through the escrow process on a home (we had completed our inspection) and the sellers disclosures come in late noting that the home had a history of mold remediation in the past . . . 2007. we went back and had mold testing done and low levels were noted in the area where there was an issue previously but when the inspector looked behind the drywall there was no evidence. essentially we a have a barely positive test with no clear source. my concern is that this affects the home's value and there is an unknown variable. i'd appreciate any thoughts if anyone has had any experience in this matter.

thanks so much,

regards,

d

How did the inspector look behind the drywall?? There is mold all around us. Just not toxic mold. Is this a finished basement??

we got air samples done which showed growth (abnormal level) . . . then had a mold remediation company take a look . . . they cut small holes in the suspect areas and stuck a camera in . . . the areas of concern are the garage and the bathroom and bedroom directly above

There might be something wrong with the insulation and barrier protection above the garage. Garages are usually the least insulated portion of the house and the most difficult to control with the temperature. This can cause condensation of hot air leading to mold formation. My first house had a bedroom above the garage I'll never do it again. The heat rising from the hot car and noise from the garage door opening was a PITA.

Mold is synonymous with water......so either there was or is a slow plumbing leak,or there is water intrusion from outside ie rain,or as docL has said poor insulation/condensation management around your garage.

Common issue is the wax donut under the toilet goes bad and water leaks down into the drywall above the garage. Happened to me. If you ask the sellers what was causing the water leak and they disclose something that makes sense, likely the problem is taken care of and I personally don't see it as an issue - especially since it is in the garage. No air returns and sealed off from the living areas. Certainly insulation could still be an issue, so there might be work to so there. Talk to some more people and see if you can get the seller to put up more money at closing to ease your mind (and get it looked at by someone else more thoroughly).

Back