Need quick purchase price related advice...

Hello primers. I'd appreciate your expertise reg. what may be the good price on a black 91 NSX. Very good - excellent paint condition, clean carfax, approx. 60K miles, needs timing belt, A/C runs only on high, very clean interior with minor wear on driver seat bolster, many maintenance records. Everything original (incl. wheels). Front tires very good, rear O.K. Clutch O.K. PPI pending. Thanks!

I would say around $21-24k. You'll have to immediatily address the timing belt/water pump job, ?hoses, and either the blower resistor or climate control board. Those things add up quick!

good luck

rs250 said:
Black Book Avg wholesale is 14,800
Black Book Avg retail is 17,500-20,000
Black book is useless for extremely low volume cars like the NSX. The pricing section of the FAQ is a much better guide.

I agree with Larry's assessment. Remember, this car is seven years overdue for a timing belt replacement! :eek:

I respectfullly disagree on Blackbook pricing and the NSX. NADA and Kelly are way off. Been to the auctions and seen pricing on NSX's through auctions. Pretty close.

rs250 said:
I respectfullly disagree on Blackbook pricing and the NSX. NADA and Kelly are way off. Been to the auctions and seen pricing on NSX's through auctions. Pretty close.

that's true, and reason because of how the Blackbook prices are reported. But Ken's point is still a valid one when comparing good condition NSXs. More stuff on it, (from the aforementioned link) and for your convenience, I copied it and pasted it here:
The Black Book (www.blackbookusa.com) is another story. Black Book, from the National Auto Research Division of Hearst Business Media Corporation, makes money from dealers paying them $500 a year membership. No outside interference to corrupt the numbers. They can't be manipulated like NADA. There are still two problems with using the Black Book to price and NSX.

1) The Black Book works strictly off auction values. NSXs at auction are, on average, in much worse condition than those for private sale, which results in lower prices. More importantly, since the NSX is a specialty vehicle, a dealer knows they are probably going to have a harder time moving it out of inventory. So they will only bid on it if they think there is a lot of profit left between their bid price and what they think they can sell it for. This also keeps auction prices down.

2) The number of NSXs moving through auction is too small to be a statistically relevant source of data, particularly for the later model year cars where perhaps only one or two a month go through auction nation-wide.

I would love to find a clean NSX under $20k. :biggrin: I would buy 2 of them, no kidding. Not gonna happen though. Clean 91 NSX with 60k should be mid to high 20's

nsxlover said:
Clean 91 NSX with 60k should be mid to high 20's
That depends on your definition of "clean". If it means "okay condition, may need a few repairs" then sure, you can get one with that mileage for the mid to high 20's. If it means "absolutely no flaws, all maintenance done on time and up to date, complete history, all functions working with no problems whatsoever, interior and exterior in excellent condition consistent with mileage", then you're probably going to have to pay in the low thirties unless you get really, really lucky.

Back