need info: 1992 w/75k mi, $18,300 (scam?)

The car was listed on autotrader (no vin), below info:

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Acura
Model: NSX
Year: 1992
Price: 18300
Mileage: 75219
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Red
Cylinders: 6 Cylinder
Transmission: Manual
Doors: Two Door
Stereo: Unavailable
Description: This is a great running and driving car . It has 75,200 miles as of this listing but I do drive it a little . It is # 76 in production for the 1992 model year . It is in great condition and garaged most of the time . A lot of people call it a Japanese Ferrari but I can tell you it's NO Ferrari . It doesn't fuss when it's hot outside , it does'nt cost 5k to tune it up , It doesn't brake down every other time you drive it , It always starts with No smoke , and everything works with the excuses ,but I must admit the pony does look nice on the fenders.

I emailed the seller asking:

Comments: What is the maintenence record of this vehicle? could you provide me with the vin number as well? Are you the original owner? thank you.

This is the response i got from the seller:

Hi there Fazil,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
First of all, please let me introduce myself. It's always nice when you can know the person you are dealing with. My name is Hans Snyder.
I wanted to let you know that my car is still available and it is located in Dallas, TX. I had a buyer offering $18,300 but his loan didn't get approved.
I'm selling it because I need to make the payments for the house and the car is the first to go, The price is low because I need to sell it before 15/02/2010. So I'm willing to let it go for $18,300 ($17,500 + $800 shipping cost already paid). My 1992 Acura NSX looks like new with only 75,200 miles on board. The car is in great condition inside, outside and mechanically. It will come with a Clear Title, bill of sale signed by me as well and all the papers (including the original manuals and keys) that you will need to register it under your name.
<o:p></o:p>
I have more photos with the car hosted on the internet at the following
link:
http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/jackacuraoioioi/
I will make this deal only through eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Program due to the fact that I travel almost all the time with my job. Before leaving I prearranged shipping with eBay Motors and Dependable Auto Shippers so my presence isn't necessary. In exchange, I will offer a 3 day trial period from the moment you receive it from the shipping company, in witch you will have time to test-drive and inspect the car and review all the documents.
This way you're not buying something sight unseen. If you agree with this transaction I will need the following details from you:
full name and address:
shipping address:
phone #:
After I receive these details from you I will forward them to eBay Motors in order to get things in motion. eBay Motors will contact you with all the details that you needed to complete this transaction and also to see that I am covered by them. I'll be waiting for your email with the requested details.
Regards,
Hans Snyder

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If you and the car are in Dallas, go take a look at it. I bet you'll be surprised, but let us know.

Big Time Scam . 1st it's prced low enough to almost sound real but have you ever seen a decent 92 go for under 20 k? 2nd I just looked at this car in NY , from the owner . I saw that lisiting as well on cars.com the other day and tried to call . Then cross referenced to ebay and found it for sale from owner , with working phone # , called and looked at it already .

^ Wait I thought the car was in Dallas - not NY - are you sure you looked at the one they're talking about? Something sounds funny here, what am I missing?

Alright, lets run through this.

You asked for a VIN, he didn't provide it.
You asked if he is the first owner, he didn't answer.
You asked for a maintenance record, he didn't even hint at it.
He needs to sell before "15/02/2010" the way he mixed the month and day around means he's from overseas.
He "already paid shipping" when he doesn't know if it's going 20 miles or 2000 miles, no carrier would accept an agreement like that.
He will only make this through "eBayMotors Vehicle Purchase Protection Program" which first off, doesn't exist and even if it did, would only be valid if bought over eBay.
Bringing up that point, he has a month to sell it and he would be able to get more than 20k for it on eBay, so why not?

His English is poor, his story is spotty at best, the email sounds like he copy and pasted something like he's doing it 500x a day. I suggest you do some checking on this site http://forum.419eater.com/forum/

On a side note:
A buddy of mine has fun with this kind of scamming, recognize the name they sent it to or do I need to roundhouse kick you to jog your memory? Some of this crap can seem very real, the checks look completely legit, but I assure you, this is 100% a scam.

DSC_0813-1.jpg

Last edited:
ANY time they mention ebay motors and car shipping it is a scam. That and their blatant lack of proper english.

"and everything works with the excuses ,but I must admit the pony does look nice on the fenders"

What is this supposed to mean???

Definitely a scam

Alright, lets run through this.

You asked for a VIN, he didn't provide it.
You asked if he is the first owner, he didn't answer.
You asked for a maintenance record, he didn't even hint at it.

...when he didnt answer my ?'s i figured it was a scam + the ebay motors bs.

also i came across this post b4 recieving the seller's response, same story...different car here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131903

Thanks guys

Ok BrownTrash,

For pennance you have to answer the next guy when he asks this "no brainer" question; that's right it's now your duty - so watch for it cause it will be coming ohhhhh in a week or so. Thanks in advance for your help!:biggrin:

Ok BrownTrash,

For pennance you have to answer the next guy when he asks this "no brainer" question; that's right it's now your duty - so watch for it cause it will be coming ohhhhh in a week or so. Thanks in advance for your help!:biggrin:

i had presumed it was a scam (see title), was inquiring here for affirmation as well as for the benefit of other prospective owners.

you too, were once a newb. :p

i had presumed it was a scam (see title), was inquiring here for affirmation as well as for the benefit of other prospective owners.

you too, were once a newb. :p

You are so right and I have posted many, many times to help the next guy. That's all I meant. No disrespect intended. I always feel an obligation to assist the next guy when I learn something and man have I learned a bunch since I've been on here! That's what I love about this site! You'll feel that way too if you don't already!

Scam. Im in Dallas this week. Tell him I am coming to see it.

Scam. Im in Dallas this week. Tell him I am coming to see it.

my response to his email:

[link to this thread] + "gluck with your scam, douche." - - - if he responds i'll ask...

You are so right and I have posted many, many times to help the next guy. That's all I meant. No disrespect intended. I always feel an obligation to assist the next guy when I learn something and man have I learned a bunch since I've been on here! That's what I love about this site! You'll feel that way too if you don't already!

haha. no worries man. This forum is part of the selling point of the car. the support here is not only excellent, but it is provided by respectable, intelligent enthusiasts. i wont comment on the OTHER forums out there...

Last edited:
These scam ads follow the same process.

- Lure you with a ridiculously low price that is too good to be true.
- They are always "out of town" and can't be there in person to show the car.
- The car is always in a different location.
- No real important details on the car are available.
- Request to go through a car buying program.
- Offer free shipping and return shipping if you're not happy.

Then the entire focus of the conversation is THE DEPOSIT. Once they have that from you, they're GONE. Don't put a deposit on a car that you have not seen with your own eyeballs and drove.

this guy uses the european date format too, which usually means he is not IN the US.

wow I have seen that similar e-mail,, its def a scam,, its funny same broken english, lengthy letter and ebay shipping contracts,,, e-bay doesnt have a contract with any shipper,,, your on your own to get you car where you need it,,, I wish we could find one of these guys/gals doing this shit,,

So what i do is follow thru with the scam and send them 1 penny, they think i am sending them the full ammount for the car,,, they cant sleep at night thinking about how they are gonna spend the money,, they get up early to go get the money from western union and they hand him/her 1 penny,, I have dont this 3 times,, I say we all do it to them,, stick them for once

Last edited:
If you are serious about buying...on the surface THIS looks like a really good deal.

Back