• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help on offering price - ASAP JH4NA1152PT000219

Need help on offering price - ASAP

I found a '93 NSX with 58k miles on it. Asking price is $29k. Today I had the chance to look at it in person and found a few minor problems. I'll list them in order of severity.

1. I noticed some crease/fold lines on the passenger side front fender right near the top of the wheel well. When asked, the owner said it was from bumping one of those parking concrete blocks or the curb since the car's so low. The fender lining is *slightly* separated from the metal near the lines.

2. The paint on the rear spoiler is fading

3. The chrome on the original wheels is flaking off.

4. He's also repainted the top roof black again because the original paint faded.

Everything else about the car is ok. Doesn't seem like he's garaged it everyday, hence the paint issues.

What should I offer now considering those issues? Oh and here's the VIN: JH4NA1152PT000219. If anyone has a carfax report, I'd appreciate someone looking it up. :)

:confused:
The front fender: Whats up w/that...one of those concrete blocks or curb. It would seem to me if that was the case he would have sustained damage for the chin spoiler and the lower portion of the air dam.

Its a $29k NSX that sounds rough in areas so this stuff may be expected, however do not be in a hurry on this.

Has the timing belt/w-pump been done and/or whats the service history. Take it to a good Acura tech and get it inspected.

Regards

Tom Larkins said:
:confused:
The front fender: Whats up w/that...one of those concrete blocks or curb. It would seem to me if that was the case he would have sustained damage for the chin spoiler and the lower portion of the air dam.

Its a $29k NSX that sounds rough in areas so this stuff may be expected, however do not be in a hurry on this.

Has the timing belt/w-pump been done and/or whats the service history. Take it to a good Acura tech and get it inspected.

Regards

Well that's what bothers me. There is a small gash in the painted part of the lower bumper on the same side. I can't imagine him hitting it hard enought to bend the fender, but not sustain heavy damage to the bumper. The lower part (black plastic) of the bumper should've gave way before bending the fender there.

In regards to the timing belt, he said it's been replaced during the 60k service he did earlier.

Where would a "good Acura tech" be? Just some mechanic or take it to the dealer? This is my first time buying a used car.

Would offering $25k be lowballing?

I agree with Tom. Take it to an Acura dealer and pay for a PPI(pre purchase inspection). It costs about $125 and will be the best investment you'll ever make. The first NSX I decided on went through the PPI and they found a leaky clutch master cylinder and a bad AC compressor. The owner didn't feel like he should pay to have them fixed (very $$$) but he wouldn't budge on his price either. So I politely said no and moved on.

Also a comment on the wheels. No stock NSX has ever come with chrome wheels. If they are chrome, then he had that done aftermarket.

Damage said:

In regards to the timing belt, he said it's been replaced during the 60k service he did earlier.

Ask for the records, you would want them w/the car anyway if you purchase.

Where would a "good Acura tech" be? Just some mechanic or take it to the dealer? This is my first time buying a used car.

Just start a thread asking recommended techs. in your area, someone will help you.

Would offering $25k be lowballing?

Heck no, you may find that you need several thousand dollars in repairs on this car depending on what you want to do w/it !!!

Tom Larkins said:
Heck no, you may find that you need several thousand dollars in repairs on this car depending on what you want to do w/it !!!

Lets assume the car's engine is in great condition. What do you estimate the cost would be if I were to straighten that fender out and repaint the rear spoiler?

I don't know what I'll do with the wheels yet though.

Don't rush

This car sounds a little neglected, but it could be good car if the mechanicals are fine. Don't forget that there are enough used NSXs out there, even for a low production car like this one. Even if you offer $25K, you will probably pay another few thousand to fix the issues you mentioned. Lately I've seen several NSXs in good condition under $30K. My experience is that most NSX owners take very good care of their cars, hence I've never seen a faded wing or roof that needed repainting, much less a damaged front fender that wasn't taken care of. This car may in fact be a good deal if the issues were fixed properly, but a $29K asking price sounds high. You will need the PPI (pre purchase inspection) on this car, because if the car had paint fading issues and damaged body, you don't know what else was neglected. If the seller won't let you get the PPI on the car, say thank you and walk away. You say its your first used car purchase - just don't rush it (so you won't regret it later).

I entered this NSX into AnalyNSX. In the image below it is NSX Number 114. AnalyNSXclassifies this NSX as a C on both mileage and asking price. The 'factors' indicate it is about $1000 above 'average' asking price and its mileage is 5.45% greater than an 'average' 93.

However, your inspection, to me a least, would make me judge it a condition D or even F.

The conditions [A, B, C, D, F, X] come from here
AnalyNSXdoes nothing more than computerize the FAQ chart. For checking a single NSX, as you are doing, the chart in the FAQ is far simpler. OTOH, if you are looking at a large number of different NSXs, as I am, AnalyNSXis great for keeping all the data in meaningful order and enabling you to find a particular one at any given time.

You can read about and download this program here

From what I know so far, I doubt I would be interested in this NSX at all. Decent quality NSXs simply don't have unrepaired body damage. Also, sometimes, body damage can be an indicator of suspension misalignment, or even worse, suspension damage. Forged Aluminium parts are very expensive. Be VERY careful. If you are willing to travel, there are many, many NSXs available. My advice, FWIW, echos mickeylex: Take your time.

I have walked away from all the NSXs I have looked at so far, and I am very glad I did. You may want to hook up with NSX owners in your area to look at, listen to, ride in, and if you are very lucky, drive a well maintained NSX so you know what you are looking at. I am a mechanical engineer, and know machinery -- but machines vary a great deal, and there is no substitute for genuine seat-of-the-pants experience.

Best of luck

Thanks for all the replies. I had another question. What does the PPI include? Would they inspect the suspension components? If they did that would be awesome. Then I could find out if the dent on the fender has any hidden damage or not.

Anyone know about PPI?

Buying a used NSX

There is a huge amount of information on purchasing a used NSX here

There is also a used NSX Checklist, which includes items that would/should be included in a PPI. It is a PDF file, so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. The link covers all that. Click here for the Checklist

I am finding my search rather fun. For me at least, this is a fair amount of money, so it requires a substantial amount of work. If I do the job right, I believe I will be able to own one of these for a very small depreciation hit after selling it some years down the road.:)

I think you are asking all the right questions

Back