Need help on high milage NSX

I am looking at buying a 91 NSX with 185,000 Kms. I have not been able to see the car myself yet because it is several hours away. But, I just had the car inspected and the compression is great, 200,185,185,195,195,190. But there are some other problems such as the rear engine seal is leaking, the inner CV boot is leaking, as well as the oil pan gasket. The tires are about 40-50% all around and I don't know when the last time it had a timing belt & water pump installed - or if they have been replaced at all. I've seen pictures of it and it seems to look fine. The only mods done to it are a K&N cold air and aftermarket exhaust. Another concern is the damage claims history. It has had 11 claims on it since 91. Most of them are below $600.00 but there is a claim for $2300.00 and one for $3200.00. I am unable to get any more information as to the reasons for the claims so I have nothing to go on as far as finding out anymore about these claims. He is the second owner of the car. The car is selling for $30,000 CDN. Do you think this is still a good deal or should I run for the hills? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can get an estimate for the required repairs (rear main seal, cv boots, oil gasket) and use that as a bargaining tool.

The thing that would concern me is the insurance claims against it. A good body and fender guy should be able to inspect for what type of damage occured and how well the repairs were done.

Just for kicks here are the conversions
185000km = 114700 miles
30000 canadian = $21902

Also check if the car is in the snap ring range. Another bargaining point!

Good luck

I don't know when the last time it had a timing belt & water pump installed - or if they have been replaced at all.

This is a car you should stay away from unless you are getting a good enough deal to part with $5-7000 right away. In other words, you've got to assume that the car has been neglected, and there are parts that are going to fail or need to be replaced immediately, so you've got to make up all the maintenance that's been overlooked for the last 7 years.

An NSX w/o records is an unknown entity; treat it as such. The claims don't scare me as much as the lack of maintenance.

If this car is otherwise PRISTINE, meaning you are happy with the way it looks/drives, then I would not pay more than 22-23K for it, based on the pricing chart at FAQ, and using the MAX figure of 25K for a "neglected" '91.

Back