Need help finding a DVD player

I need some help guys. I am looking for ones with DCDi by Faroudja. They are supposed to be the best. I will probably get a Denon 1600. Even though it is old, it sounds to be the best.

Any suggestions?

The Panasonic DVD Players have them as well. Check around for which model. Mine has it and I bought it 2 years ago.

Faroudja chip IS the best in the market. It does the best job in line-doubling for a smoother, crisp picture. I did a side by side between the Panasonic and Sony (which didn't have the Faroudja). No contest.

Try to get the Skyworth, it is a chinese DVD player that does have the Faroudja. Some people on the AV forum I read talk wonders about how good it is for the price...

I have a Philips 963SA and it is wonderful but more $$$

Because I have a HDTV, and to make it look best, I need progressive scan.

I have read the denon 1600 is about the best one for the price. All the pansonics that had the DcDi chip have been discontinued.

I have also read the newer denon are not near as good.

Joel said:
So far, I've heard that the Skyworth skips and locks up when playing DVD's. Not very good in my opinion.

I have a Skyworth and so far I've never had any problem playing any disk, and it is also an all region unit.

Ok, so I understand better. I have some experience in home theaters and the first thing you have to take into account when going progressive is that the length of the cable is vital, I have seen installations of >5000$ beamer + >1000$ DVD player that because of the 20 feet RGB cable that was used looked worse than by using a 250$ DVD player and 3 feet of cable only.

So take this into your equation, the distance from the source and the screen. It is better to shorten the distance if this is more than 10 feet than paying 3x the price for a better DVD player and keep it far away: conclusion is do not go for more than 10 feet.

Then for a HDTV you can safely buy the Denon 1600: it is an average/good machine that will be enough for a screen of less than 80" diagonal. Avoid the first models that had some Macrovision protection issue (the brightness was vibrating on some DVD).

However I would not say that newer Denon are worse: my neighbour has a Denon 2900 and :eek: :eek: :eek: that looks good! If it only had a VGA output I would buy it in a minute!

I almost forgot, the Harman Kardon DVD 25!

It is in my top three list of the "not hi end" (>500$) progressive scan DVD player with my Philips 963SA and the Denon 2900.

If you find it around it is for sure a BEST BUY for the qulity it offers! :cool: :eek:

gheba_nsx said:

However I would not say that newer Denon are worse: my neighbour has a Denon 2900 and :eek: :eek: :eek: that looks good! If it only had a VGA output I would buy it in a minute!

Let me re-phrase. The Denon that replaced the 1600 is not near as good. Neither are any of the Panasonics that replaced the RP82.

The 2900 is over $100 vs the $300 i am looking at.

The Harman Kardon does not have the DCDi by Faroudja. I would think the 1600 would be superior because of that alone.

gheba_nsx said:
Ok, so I understand better. I have some experience in home theaters and the first thing you have to take into account when going progressive is that the length of the cable is vital, I have seen installations of >5000$ beamer + >1000$ DVD player that because of the 20 feet RGB cable that was used looked worse than by using a 250$ DVD player and 3 feet of cable only.

So take this into your equation, the distance from the source and the screen. It is better to shorten the distance if this is more than 10 feet than paying 3x the price for a better DVD player and keep it far away: conclusion is do not go for more than 10 feet.

Then for a HDTV you can safely buy the Denon 1600: it is an average/good machine that will be enough for a screen of less than 80" diagonal. Avoid the first models that had some Macrovision protection issue (the brightness was vibrating on some DVD).

Maybe not. I'm running a Denon 2900 through 6ft of cable into a denon 2803
AV/ rec. then through 50ft of component cable to a sharp v-10000 front projector, projecting onto a Stewart 110" firehawk screen. Looks amazing and just as good as when I tested all components with short cables. Not flaming gheba_nsx, but the cable length did not degrade my picture at all. Just use high quality cables. I make my own with Canari parts, but I hear Monster Cables are pretty good.

NetViper said:
The Harman Kardon does not have the DCDi by Faroudja. I would think the 1600 would be superior because of that alone.

The deinterlacer is only a very small part of the whole video quality output . The HK25 (that uses a Mediamatics if I am not wrong, which is also very good) is considered superior to the Denon 1600 by most AV magazine and forums...

NSX-Ster, maybe your cable and devices combo is less prone to show defects at that distance. But even with superior cables (I use RG59 whenever I can) 50ft will have a lost of 1-1,5 dB and that should be noticeable. It is physics afterall...

Bought the Denon 1600 for a good price. 385 shipped to my door. I am happy. I looked at the Harmon Kardon. Sounded good, but not as good as the 1600. I talked to a couple of home theater stores about it and they said without a doubht the denon was the way to go. And those were people that didn't even have it in stock anymore.

Back