need an unbiased opinion

hey all,
I am wondering if i can get a little input from some nsx owners out there, preferably those who own more than one sports car and even better yet those who've owned a 90-96 nissan 300zx.
My predicament is this.... Currently i own a 90 300zx non-turbo and a 97 vw jetta glx. I am at the point where i have to move the jetta and am leaning heavily toward a new mazda 6s 5-speed in the next month or two. I was planning on buying an early model nsx this spring until i really came to grips with having to replace my vw... There isn't a way around this simply because i use that car for work and need something very reliable and such that can carry sizable items in its trunk. Anyways, so now since i am financially being put out to get as low a car payment as i can on the new mazda i'm seeing my dreams of nsx ownership slide further down the road (maybe a year or two). Now the wheels in my head are turning as to how i might be able to keep my Z (cuz i just love it so much for cruising and reliability (and the fact i changed the exterior to jdm and that cost some bucks and makes me unique in the area) and my four door and get an nsx. But the more i look at the financials the more i am thinking it's either a wait a year for the nsx or possibly sell the Z to get an nsx. Keep in mind the Z is my very first true sports car and its just in awesome shape for what you are seeing in the area i live in. So i'm hoping some out there can give me some input on if buying an nsx will satisfy my driving need and totally replace what i feel with the Z. Is it maybe worth waiting one more year to save up for the nsx? I feel like if i sold my Z i'll regret it and want to buy another one in the future... the the question there is finding one like i have now. I'm torn in this decision and on top of that i'm contemplating the costs of ownerships on both cars individually, i'm guessing the nsx is a tad more expensive to maintain the the Z from what i've seen??? am i wrong there? enlighten me!
Ok guys, there's my sob story, give me some of your insights.... I can take it like a man :-D

I do not have experience with the Z, so take my words with a grain of salt. You will not miss anything sporty or driver oriented by buying an NSX. They are quite honestly one of the best (if not the best) ergonomically and sensation driven designs ever created. I always, always smile when I get out of the car. It has never made me unhappy, or unfulfilled when driven, even if it is just to the store for milk! I will take it out just for 10 minutes after a long day just to reorient myself, and allow the troubles of the day to just dissolve.

Having said that, it will not replace a four door, or anything with lots of cargo space. This means you would need to sell your Z. I can get a "lot" of stuff in my car, just ask anyone who saw me pack at Texas Motor Speedway before coming back to NC!

The car is as reliable as any other on the road, and a h*ll of lot more fun to drive. Just go drive one somewhere and you will be hooked, I promise.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

yeah, i think i pretty much know the answer i'm gonna hear, but i want to hear it anyways. I also plan on modding a little bit on the car with some aftermarket wheels and maybe plumbing improvements which i think isn't the cheapest but adding the mods alone would stretch the purse strings to the point that i won't be able to maintain both cars like i would like to.

dnyhof,

Once you test drive a nsx, you will want to buy it on the spot. I alway wanted an nsx when it first came out. I waited 10 years and finally I got one. I will keep it for a long time. I got my nsx before I sold my modify honda prelude. After I got the nsx I didn't want to drive my prelude anymore. I love my prelude a lot just like you with the 300Z. Just my 2 cents.

dnyhof -

Where are you located? There maybe someone on this board near you that would be willing to give you a ride. All you can do is ask and all they can say is no, or maybe YES!
biggrin.gif

You'll find the nicest people who drive an NSX.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

Dnyhof,

I still own my '90 300ZX. I hardly drive it since I bought my NSX. If you sell your Z and get a NSX, you will NOT miss your Z.

Jim

Dump both cars and get a used E36 M3 in good condition (less than $20K). It'll be more practical and better performing than both your current cars and then you can save the remainder for an NSX or whatever other sports car floats your boat...

Thanks for the replies guys,
FYI I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
So far I've only seen one red nsx (this past summer) near the East Grand Rapids area so maybe if that gentleman who owns it reads this board could get a hold of me, i might be able to get that ride or drive????
smile.gif

I think that's the one thing that will get me to honestly acess things is an actual drive, not to beat the crap out of it mind you, but to get the feel. Unfortunatly my area is not swimming with people who one, have them, and two, would let someone they just met take their baby for a drive. But who knows maybe I will be surprised.

Also, Jim, is your Z a turbo or NA? Is the reason you don't drive it much simply because of the driving experience with the NSX is sooo much better? Enlighten me.

------------------

Here's my O.

Aside from your sports cars, you need a daily driver that holds a lot of people and stuff. Since you live in an area that experiences winter, it should have front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive. So one vehicle will need to do all of that - whether it's the Mazda 6 or something else.

Therefore, the choice is between your Z and an NSX. If you're really happy with your Z - and you must be, since you seem concerned that you would miss it if you got rid of it -why not just keep it, and not worry about getting an NSX?

If you're looking for a ride in an NSX, here are two suggestions. There are always a bunch of NSXers at the drivers schools held by CGI Motorsports at GingerMan Raceway. If South Haven is too far for you to travel
wink.gif
, several of us also instruct at the school held every mid-September at the rolling coaster known as Grattan Raceway, where this photo was taken this year:

fd232a11.jpg

Well, I guess I will just see how finances work out come this spring and see where I am at. I am in sales and my income varies every month depending on what I sell so who knows, maybe i'll have a few good months that will allow me to afford all three.... I think I can afford them all if I just get my Z paid off (which i feel will be one more year if i throw a lot of money at it). I've just recently told myself that I want to own an exotic before I get married, and if i can get an nsx and build up the equity in it, my future fiance/wife (whoever that is) hopefully won't give me the ultimatum to sell the car. I'm quite stubborn that way....
I'm still looking for some more advice yet though, the more the better. Also, anyone remotely close to Grand Rapids, MI (with in one hour) that might allow a slow test drive if the roads clear up or this spring? I know its asking alot, but I'd wanna make sure I really love the car before I seriously look into dumping the Z for it if that's my only way of getting it.

Originally posted by dnyhof:
But the more i look at the financials the more i am thinking it's either a wait a year for the nsx or possibly sell the Z to get an nsx.
So i'm hoping some out there can give me some input on if buying an nsx will satisfy my driving need and totally replace what i feel with the Z.

Hi dnyhof,

before trying to help you,

1-Have you ever see in real an NSX?

This car is awesome in real. As somebody said in a different topic, the NSX is relatively non photogenic because of its incredible "superbe" in real...

2- Have you ever drive an NSX?

I would bet that you didn't, however, the key is to drive an NSX,

then you will know

( IMO that you won't miss your ZX unless you only evaluate on an emotional and nostalgic basis rather than doing such an evaluation on a performance and driver basis... )

what to do.

I think you could be able to find a dealer and test drive one...

effer

Hope that you will drive one and find your answers.

P.S.There is one thing an NSX will never be able to do compared to a ZX: bring two more people!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by effer (edited 28 December 2002).]

I had a convertible Z a NA like yours.
You wont miss the Z but I might NEED it.. as a daily driver..

Originally posted by dnyhof:
yeah, i think i pretty much know the answer i'm gonna hear, but i want to hear it anyways. I also plan on modding a little bit on the car with some aftermarket wheels and maybe plumbing improvements which i think isn't the cheapest but adding the mods alone would stretch the purse strings to the point that i won't be able to maintain both cars like i would like to.

dnyhof,

If you need a unbiased opinion, maybe I can help.....I've gone thru a few sports car in my life, '91 NA 5spd 300zx/'92 TT 5spd 300ZX/'94 TT 5spd Supra/'00 s2000 just to name a few, and as a new owner of an NSX, I can tell you I will never turn back!!! The car looks awesome, handles great, and is very well built. The only thing that I miss is the initial "G"-force of twin turbos, however the NSX's acceleration is so smooth you'll reach 100mph in no time and not even know it. IMO don't wait, life is too short!!! A lot can happen in one year. Worst case scenario, if you don't like the NSX (I seriously doubt that will happen), you can always get another 300ZX (production #'s of the 300ZX are a lot higher than the NSX). Good luck in what ever you decide!!!

You're in the wrong place to get an "unbiased" opinion
smile.gif
But, before you sell your 300z, buy an NSX and drive it a bit. My bet is that after driving the NSX, you'll forget all about the Z. Kinda like that x-girlfriend syndrome...you always miss em, until you replace em. To further this abstract analogy...IMO...the Z is like "the girl next door", and the NSX is a Victoria Secret model. She'll make you forget about all the other ones
smile.gif

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Onyx

i traded my nsx for a viper,now i'm trading my viper for a nsx!

Originally posted by tewills:
You're in the wrong place to get an "unbiased" opinion
smile.gif
But, before you sell your 300z, buy an NSX and drive it a bit. My bet is that after driving the NSX, you'll forget all about the Z. Kinda like that x-girlfriend syndrome...you always miss em, until you replace em. To further this abstract analogy...IMO...the Z is like "the girl next door", and the NSX is a Victoria Secret model. She'll make you forget about all the other ones
smile.gif

Can't get an "unbiased" opinion around here ? (grin) SURE you can. Happens all the time.
smile.gif

I drove a '90 300ZX for about 2 years and declared it the best all-round car I had ever owned (and I had a '83 Porsche Turbo). That was around 1994 or so.

I had a '98 Yellow NSX for around a year or so.

Love the "Victoria Secret" analogy and I agree completely

Drive the NSX once and you'll forget all about the "Z". No comparison.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by NSX-GUY (edited 02 January 2003).]

I owned a '91 and a '95 Z back in the mid-'90s. Both were modded twin turbo models with lots of straightline power.

I was a complete Z fanatic at the time. I even met Mr. K (father of the original Z) when he came to the US.

But guess what, I don't miss the twin turbo Zs at all now that I've got the NSX.

There is just no comparison!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Therefore, the choice is between your Z and an NSX. If you're really happy with your Z - and you must be, since you seem concerned that you would miss it if you got rid of it - why not just keep it, and not worry about getting an NSX?

Biased?
confused.gif

Back