Need An Attorney

Hey guys,

Can someone help me out. I bought a 98 prelude in 1998 with 3000 miles. When I got the car it had been involved in a minor fender bender. Parts replaced were the hood and headlight. All other parts still have there vin numbers on them. Today I received a letter from the attorney generals office in Oregon where I live. It stated my title will be changed to branded and not free and clear as was sold to me 7 years ago. Can someone please email or call me for advice

email [email protected] or 503-466-0396 at my home number

p.s. this involves over 30000 vehicles in all fifty states.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_700/OAR_735/735_024.html

735-024-0015

Definitions; Title Brands

As used in this rule through 735-024-0025, the following definitions apply:

(1) "Brand," "branded title," or "title brand" means a notation, indicator, symbol or phrase that is or has been printed, stamped or otherwise affixed to a certificate of title to indicate the history, condition, or circumstances of a vehicle. A title brand does not necessarily indicate the extent to which a vehicle may have been damaged, whether a vehicle has been repaired or to what degree a damaged vehicle has been repaired.

(a) "Branded" means:

(A) A listing of two or more brands on an out-of-state title or similar document; or

(B) A brand not specifically defined or identified under this rule.

(b) "Flood damaged," "flood," or a word of similar import means a brand to indicate that a vehicle has been submerged in water to the point that the vehicle sustained damage;

(c) "Glider kit" or a word of similar import means a brand to indicate:

(A) A kit consisting of a new truck cab or cab and hood assembly, including a front axle assembly and frame rails, with or without an engine, transmission and rear axle, manufactured and sold with a manufacturer's statement of origin, has been used to replace damaged or worn components of an existing heavy truck or tractor; or

(B) A heavy truck or tractor was assembled using a kit consisting of all new component parts, including engine, transmission and rear axle, manufactured and sold with a manufacturer's statement of origin, and assembled by a person other than the manufacturer of the components.

(C) For purposes of this subsection, "heavy truck or tractor" means truck or tractor with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 16,000 pounds.

(d) "Lemon," "lemon-defective," "lemon-law buy-back," "returned to manufacturer" or a word of similar import means a brand to indicate a vehicle was returned to the manufacturer because of a defect or condition that could not be corrected and that substantially impaired the safety, market value, or the use, or intended use, of the vehicle.

(e) "Previous damage" means a title brand issued by DMV prior to August 20, 2004, to indicate that DMV had received information from another jurisdiction that a vehicle was damage, destroyed, wrecked or salvaged, or words of similar import. The term "previous damaged" does not apply to vehicles issued a junk title or similar ownership document by another jurisdiction as described under OAR 735-020-0070;

(3) Except as specifically provided in section (4) of this rule, once a title brand or "assembled" make has been placed on a vehicle's Oregon Certificate of Title that brand or "assembled" make will appear on any subsequent Oregon title issued for the vehicle.

(4) DMV may omit, remove, add or change a title brand or "assembled" make when:

(a) DMV receives information that indicates an Oregon title or Oregon Salvage Title Certificate was issued with an incorrect brand or "assembled" make. For example, DMV receives written information from an originating jurisdiction that indicates its title incorrectly reflects a title brand;

(b) DMV is satisfied the title brand or "assembled" make was placed on the Oregon title or Oregon Salvage Title Certificate in error;

(c) DMV failed to place a title brand or "assembled" make on the Oregon title or Oregon Salvage Title Certificate when required under section (1) of this rule or subsections (d), (e) and (f) of this section.

(d) A subsequent accident or occurrence causes the vehicle to be identified with a brand or different brand such as "totaled" or "reconstructed."

(e) A vehicle issued an Oregon title with any brand or an "assembled" make other than totaled is reported to DMV as a totaled vehicle under ORS 819.012 or 819.014. Except as described in subsection (f) of this section, if DMV issues a new Oregon title, it will include a totaled brand, which replaces any previous brand shown on the Oregon title. For example, a vehicle issued an Oregon title with a flood brand, will be issued an Oregon title with a totaled -reconstructed brand when the vehicle is reported to DMV as a totaled vehicle and is subsequently titled as a reconstructed vehicle;

(f) Notwithstanding subsection (e) of this section, a vehicle issued an Oregon title with an assembled make, or glider kit, reconstructed or replica brand is reported to DMV as a totaled vehicle. If DMV issues a new Oregon title, it will include the original brand and a totaled brand. For example, a vehicle issued an Oregon title with a "replica" brand that is later reported to DMV as "totaled" under ORS 819.020 or 819.014, will be issued an Oregon title with a "replica-totaled-reconstructed" brand when the vehicle is reported to DMV as a totaled vehicle and is subsequently titled as a reconstructed vehicle; or

(g) The reason the vehicle was reported to DMV as a totaled vehicle is theft and the vehicle is recovered and no longer meets the definition of a "totaled vehicle" under ORS 801.527.

I don't see the big deal here. It's a seven year old car, and presumably it has significantly more than 3000 miles on it now. I also assume that you weren't planning on selling it anytime soon, so by the time you do sell it, the difference between branded and not will be negligible.

I can see how you might have a case against the original seller (assuming there's no statute of limitations issues), but even so it'd only be the difference between a branded and unbranded car. So you'd have to track down the seller, establish jurisdiction, and go to court; and if you're lucky and prevail, you'll win maybe a thousand dollars. Only you can decide if that's worth the time and trouble.

'Twere me, I'd just blow it off as one of those "stuff happens" kind of things. In my opinion, there are much more important things to do than to chase a grand through the courts.

Back