NEED ADVICE please help thanks

baynsac

I just bought a 1991 nsx 38k miles on it. The nsx had only one female doctor owner its whole life. The car is in excelent condition. But they are a few things that came up in the inspection.
I want to eventually go the supercharged or turbo route. So while I am fixing the existing problems I can take care of other small parts to prolong the life of the car.
I am wondering if this were your car what would you do if you had these problems?? In what order would you fix it and what else would you do while your fixing the existing problems to prevent future problems. Thanks For your time and advice its really appericiated.

1. ABS MODULATOR/ACCUMULATION STARTING TO LEAK ($3650. TO FIX)
2. Will need timingbelt /water pump soon ($1600)
3. Valve cover gaskets leaking oil ( $360)
4. Slight brake pulsation when driving will neeed front and rear rotor cut and pads ($710)
5. need tires soon 5/32
6. left and right speakers need to be replaced.

yaynsx said:
1. ABS MODULATOR/ACCUMULATION STARTING TO LEAK ($3650. TO FIX)
2. Will need timingbelt /water pump soon ($1600)
3. Valve cover gaskets leaking oil ( $360)
4. Slight brake pulsation when driving will neeed front and rear rotor cut and pads ($710)
5. need tires soon 5/32
6. left and right speakers need to be replaced.

Can you work on it yourself? If so, I you can save a lot of money with basic wrenching & a service manual on 4 & 6.

Do you need to drive the car daily? If so, fix the things that can cause damage first (2 and 1/5 in less than ideal weather).

Just a couple random thoughts
2 - if its original I'd change this first. If not, how old is it?
3 - this might be spool valves or cam plugs. Check carefully.
4 - now rotors & pads are less than $710 & an easy DIY. Lots of good aftermarket choices are available.
5 - see daily driver comment above. Might also be a nice time for a rim upgrade if you are running the oem 15/16s.
6 - if you remove them, BrianK can fix them on the cheap.

1# the abs system has a few problems that can be fixed with out replacing the whole unit. An overflow of the reservoir which is caused by a sticking valve is often looked at as a leak but it's not. Also the high pressure line from the pump sometimes needs to be replaced.

#6 I can fix the door speakers for you at a very resonable cost and I would suggest having the foot well speaker rebuilt while you are at it.

No I am not mechanically inclined but My best friend is a mechanic so I can get the rotors done with him. I don't think I asked the right quesions above. what I am trying to figure out is when I am doing a water pump/timing belt job what else can I get done at the same time?? so I can save labor in the future, since the engine is allready out. And can someone tell me what abs modulator does? and what happens when it leaks. What causes it and who can I prevent it from happening again. Also where in the bay area can I get it done for a good price. Does it really cost $3500 ?? Man that gonna hurt.
Also what causes valve cover gaskets to leak oil and how does that affect my nsx. Should I do 1,2,3 at the same time?? will that save me on labor?? what else can I do with 1,2,3 at the same time?? example- add headers etc?? I am just looking for ideas and learn more about my nsx so I can make wise decisions. Sorry I some of my questions sound dumb I am learning.

I hope you got a REALLY good deal on this car then.
If you are really that concerned on saving money by mutliple things at the same time, I would'nt worry with the headers right now. They are around $1500 for a good set.
From what you have said, I wouldn't consider this car to be in excellent condition though, at least not from what you are saying that needs to be done promptly. Beauty is only 'skin' deep.:frown:

The only thing you need to get done is the timming belt, water pump and valve cover gaskets all the rest can wait.

I don't know where you are getting your prices but the valve covers come off with the timming belt change so if the gaskets need to be replaced it should only be the cost of the parts, about $120.

The sensible thing to do is, have both cars check by a NSX tech (dealer), do a leak down test to make sure the compressure is good (I had a major gasket problem), and the timing belt is done. If both cars is in similar shape, get the CTSC, after all, it does cost over 10 grand for that upgrade.

Vancehu said:
The sensible thing to do is, have both cars check by a NSX tech (dealer), do a leak down test to make sure the compressure is good (I had a major gasket problem), and the timing belt is done. If both cars is in similar shape, get the CTSC, after all, it does cost over 10 grand for that upgrade.

Uh, I think you are posting in the wrong thread.:wink:
This isn't the one comparing cars.:redface:

Back