Need advice on width of Rear tire 265 or 275? Thx.....

Hello this was a message that I wrote to NSXtasy since he seems like the tire guy to ask, but I haven't heard back from him, and after thinking about it maybe I posted in the wrong section anyway? So here is a copy of the e-mail/PM that I wrote him, and thought maybe someone can chime in on what I said below? Thx

I am new to nsxprime and just took delivery of my car (91 BB) about 11 days ago. I am getting ready to do various things to the vehicle, but first off is the car needs new tires. I ran across this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...oices!!!/page7 that was recommend to me as I have 18"/19" TSW rims already on the car with two different sets of tires for the front and rears. I didn't want to do two sets again so I started doing research on a set of tires that are the same at all four corners.

Your comment on page 7 post#174 said "I'd go with the Sumitomo HTR Z III, which is the only max performance tire available in 215/35-18, at all four corners. For the rear, I'd go with 275/30-19 on a '91-93 NSX, 265/30-19 on a '94-05 NSX."

I'm going to go with your recommendation about the Sumitomo HTR Z III. What my question is, why is the 275/30/19 a better fit for the '91-93 NSX? It has the 265/30/19 on the rear now, but I will probably go with the 275/30/19. I read somewhere in that thread/link above that someone stated that the handling of the car starts to go south when you exceed 50mm difference in width from front/rear? The 215F & 275R will give you a 60mm width in difference between the fronts and the rears. So why is it better to go with the 275R? I'm a little confused and just need clarification and thought you would be the best source in which to ask about the tires and wheels.

Thanks so much,
Gabe

Actually, I was typing my PM reply at the same time as you were posting this. :biggrin: Sorry for the delay; I hadn't been on 'prime for a few days. Here is what I said there:

PM from nsxtasy said:
You are correct that the 275/30-19 would seem to be a poorer choice than a 265/30-19 for a '91-93 because of the negative effect of its additional stagger (difference in width, front vs rear) on the handling. However, the 275/30-19 is a closer match for the proper operation of the TCS, because the TCS on a '91-93 is calibrated to expect a larger rear, relative to the front, than a later NSX. One more point, though - the TCS should still work with either size. If you want to get a 265/30-19 rear for the superior handling, even on a '91-93, go for it!

No problem I just read your PM, and I think I'm going to call them back and have them order the 265/30/19 instead because of what you said with the superior handling aspect.

Thx

Back