Need advice on purchase of a car that may have been "curbed" JH4NA2162XT000042

Need advice on purchase of a car that may have been "curbed"

First post. Love the website! Tons of great information!

I hate to ask for help on my first post but we need a bit of helpful advice. We are researching the purchase of a Black '99 NSX ser# JH4NA2162XT000042.

The car has just under 20k miles. While doing our research on the car, we have discovered that wheels were replaced by the insurance company in Jan-2000. In April of the same year, the transmission was replaced by the insurance company. This was all done with approximately 4500 miles. I have been told that the driver spun or slid the car into a curb or something similar. I do not have any more details. I do not know why there was such a long time between the replacement of the wheels and the replacement of the transmission unless these two events were not related in some way.

When we test drove the car, it seemed to drive very well and looked straight. But, when the owner was leaving, we followed him for a short time admiring the rear of the car and noticed a buldge on the inside of the rear tire. The owner said that the tread was separating from the tire. He claims that this is because the car sits for long periods of time in the winter months. I do not believe this. Also, in my experiences with other cars, I have never seen a tire tread separate for any reason other than defective tire construction. Could this problem be a result of some unknown damage that was done to the car when it was "curbed"? Are there any other potential problems that could arise from this incident in the future? I would assume that since the car has almost 16k miles since this incident that future problems should not arise. Is this a safe assumption?

The car is beautiful, runs great and seems to be well cared for other than this particular problem. The car has a clean carfax. The car also has an Acura certified warranty. The powertrain portion of the warranty has about 2 1/2 years left. We are having a Honda dealer do an inspection on the car this Friday. Unfortunately, there are no Acura dealers within a reasonable distance to the owner. We also would like to have the car put on an alignment rack at this same time if possible. What should we be looking for at this time? If the car is warranted and the alignment checks out, are there any other concerns that we should have with the car?

Usually, we would have moved on and searched for another car with fewer issues but we are getting a very good deal on this car.

Thank you very much for any helpful input!

Geoff Chambers
Indianapolis, In.

First off welcome to the board. I would be very hesitant with this car. Something pretty major happened to need a transmission replaced. NSX trannies are very tough.

I guess we can only speculate what really happened to the car. Bent suspension pieces can make it so the car cannot be aligned correctly, which could be eating the tires. You are smart to get the car on an alignment rack.

I would probably move on and find a better car. There is a reason that you are getting such a good deal.

Good luck!

Unless your getting a really great deal, then you should just look for another one. I assume its around 50k...theres alot for sale now for 50k for 1999+

Look for another car...With the NSX as you know everything is in the rear, so any problems or issues with the rear end means, two things.

Maybe some troubles down the road, or the owner is getting raid of it beacuse of the accident.

As for the transmission being replaced..why don't you call the dealer that did the work, and get some info from him.

Bram

Ghambers said:
Thank you very much for the input.

Anyone else share this opinion?
Yes, absolutely.

Here's what scares me about this car. It's not only that it was obviously in a very serious accident - which it apparently was. (Think about how bad an accident must be to damage the transmission, which is located in almost as well-protected an area as the interior.) It's also that the car was apparently not properly repaired. When a car is properly repaired after an accident, there should be ZERO issues and problems - none, zilch, nada. It sounds like this car was repaired on the cheap, and shortcuts during body and mechanical repair and reconstruction can compromise the car's performance, integrity, and safety.

Ghambers said:
The owner said that the tread was separating from the tire. He claims that this is because the car sits for long periods of time in the winter months.
Nonsense.

Ghambers said:
Also, in my experiences with other cars, I have never seen a tire tread separate for any reason other than defective tire construction. Could this problem be a result of some unknown damage that was done to the car when it was "curbed"?
Yes, that is possible. In either case, any tire that has a bulge or whose tread is separating should be replaced immediately. It is a safety issue. Better to replace the tire than risk a blowout.

Ghambers said:
Are there any other potential problems that could arise from this incident in the future?
That depends on what was not done properly during the body repair - but I think the answer to this question is yes.

Ghambers said:
I would assume that since the car has almost 16k miles since this incident that future problems should not arise. Is this a safe assumption?
No.

I think Bram's suggestion of contacting the dealer who did the transmission work is a good one. I would also contact the body shop that did the body repair. (It's possible that they are one and the same.) And I would consider getting the car inspected by a top-notch body shop, in addition to the dealer's mechanical inspection.

However, I think you need to give some serious thought to whether the risks inherent in this car - and they are significant - are worth the savings you seem to feel its price represents.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. We did decide on looking for another car. In the mean time, the car has been sold. Good luck to the new owner.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Geoff Chambers

Hey Geoff....out of curiosity, how much was the guy asking for the NSX-T anyway? If you need help inspecting one, let me know. Good luck!! :)

Mitch,

He was asking $51K. Before we were done, we had him just under $50.

Mitch, thanks for the offer of help. I will let you know when we look at the next one. We were in Ohio yesterday looking at two cars. I was not impressed with one, the other is in repo and the "owner" would not let us come look at it. Maybe he thought we were the repo man trying to trick him...

Ghambers said:
Mitch,

He was asking $51K. Before we were done, we had him just under $50.

Mitch, thanks for the offer of help. I will let you know when we look at the next one. We were in Ohio yesterday looking at two cars. I was not impressed with one, the other is in repo and the "owner" would not let us come look at it. Maybe he thought we were the repo man trying to trick him...

LOL!! So how are you supposed to buy a car you cannot see?? How did you even find it?? That is just plain weird...

Meeyatch1 said:
LOL!! So how are you supposed to buy a car you cannot see?? How did you even find it?? That is just plain weird...
The car was actually advertised on Auto Trader. The listing was from a dealer. When we called the dealer, they told us the car was owned by a good client. Then they put us in touch with him.

This guy sent us a message this week letting us know that he is about to get square with the bank. If he does, we will go drive it.

Ghambers said:
The car was actually advertised on Auto Trader. The listing was from a dealer. When we called the dealer, they told us the car was owned by a good client. Then they put us in touch with him.

This guy sent us a message this week letting us know that he is about to get square with the bank. If he does, we will go drive it.

Cool...let me know if you go. If it is close I may swing by. Do you still have my cellular phone number??

EXPERT

Encyclopedia Definition of: Expert

Expert
The term is widely used informally, with people being described as 'experts' in order to bolster the relative value of their opinion, when no objective criteria for their 'experthood' is available. The term crank is likewise used to disparage opinions. Academic elitism arises when 'experts' become convinced that only they understand their field of study.
See also: Expert system, Expert witness.

I am the current owner of JH4NA2162XT000042, I have been the owner since 1/2003. I inspected 20+ cars before finalizing the purchase of this one. I have noticed, with much concern, advice is commonly given on this thread without doing ANY due Diligence.

I have not received any calls, from the experts which gave the advice to the potential buyers of the car, not one of the EXPERTS requested an inspection the car before they gave their EXPERT OPINIONS. I however did my due diligence before I purchased JH4NA2162XT000042.

NOTE, I furnished the potential buyer with an Excel spreadsheet which clearly showed the complete history of the car including the wheel and transmission replacement, when reference is made to any discoveries the buyer made, it was not from a mysterious EXPERT or a private investigator, it was Bill Gates and Gary Cooper……

I have to add this EXPERTS opinion from the thread this is a legal issue waiting to happen, EXPERT see above…………

“Here's what scares me about this car. It's not only that it was obviously in a very serious accident - which it apparently was. (Think about how bad an accident must be to damage the transmission, which is located in almost as well-protected an area as the interior.) It's also that the car was apparently not properly repaired. When a car is properly repaired after an accident, there should be ZERO issues and problems - none, zilch, nada. It sounds like this car was repaired on the cheap, and shortcuts during body and mechanical repair and reconstruction can compromise the car's performance, integrity, and safety”

How do you get the job of EXPERT on this thread?

• The body panels are OEM with original labels (could not be if the EXPERTS are right)
• Car was repaired by Pauley Acura in Highland Park, Illinois, all repairs are without issue to date
• Acura felt so strongly that the car was repaired to OEM specs, Acura and their EXPERTS CERTIFIED the car (EXPERTS?)

I am not going to waste any more of my time on this subject, I understand all of the offended experts on this thread will retaliate, to defend their EXPERT opinions, I however will not, I have no reason to.

JH4NA2162XT000042 is one of the nicest NSX’s in existence today, it has been cared for by one of the Sweetest guys on this earth (must be me).

I would like to add I have a gentleman from Chicago ( Marc I believe) coming to look at my totaled wreck, to purchase it for more money than the experts deem it should be worth…..BUYER BEWARE……… He has many high end vehicles and understands what one should be, Could this be an EXPERT? I sent him the Excel spreadsheet, told him all I know about the car, he called Pauley Acura and discussed the vehicle with EXPERTS and is still coming….What a concept…..
I assured Marc he would buy the car for the price we discussed (over inflated according to the EXPERTS) when he arrived.
JH4NA2162XT000042 is a fine and meticulously cared for automobile. Thank you………
Gary Cooper, Ogden, Illinois 217.202.8217, beware if you call I am a fragile and timid individual.

Here is a current carfax

Vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee! No severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were ever reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042). If you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

You must register to activate this free guarantee!

CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This coupe has had 2 owners and was owned in Illinois. The first title for this coupe was reported to CARFAX by an Illinois DMV in 1999.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 4,183 miles per year, which is lower than than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 01/25/2003, was 14,615 miles.
It was not reported to a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
Its basic warranty has expired. You may want to discuss an extended warranty with your dealer.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported to DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported
2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported to DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found
3. LEMON CHECK®
No Mfr. Buyback Reported to DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners 2 Estimated Owner(s)
Type of Owners Checked 8 Types of Vehicle Registrations
5. RECALL CHECK
ACURA Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX
6. WARRANTY CHECK
No Coverage Remaining on Basic Warranty
DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY 14 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED
Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Year/Make/Model: 1999 ACURA NSX-T

Body Style: COUPE
Engine: 3.2L V6 PFI DOHC 24V
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: JAPAN
Safety Equipment: 4 wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Removable panels, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still looking for the perfect ACURA NSX-T? Check out a list of them in your area.

FREE to you from CARFAX. With the CARFAX Vehicle History Report, you get all this additional information to help you make the right decision when buying or selling a used car or truck.

How safe and reliable is this 1999 ACURA NSX-T?
Find out with the CARFAX Safety & Reliability Report.

Looking for other 1999 ACURA NSX-T vehicles like this one in your area?
Get a complete, up-to-date list of CARFAX Hot Listings

What are other CARFAX customers saying about this 1999 ACURA NSX-T?
Share what you know about this vehicle - Add a CARFAX Customer Rating & Comment.

Helping your teen learn to drive?
Get safe teen driving tips and information with the CARFAX Safe Teen Drivers Program.

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! No severe damage events were ever reported by a DMV for this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042). If you find that any of the following severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Salvage Title Loss Due To Fire Title
Junk Title Flood Damage Title
Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Hail Damage Title
Dismantled Title Canadian Total Loss

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042) had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
No Police Accident Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 15.Aug.2004 10:07:22. New data will result in a change to this report.
Not all accidents are reported to the Police. Tell us if you know of other fender benders, accidents or damage.

Accident Check FAQs:
Accident FAQs | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

GOOD NEWS! No major odometer problems were ever reported by a DMV under the Truth-In-Mileage Act for this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042). If you find that any of the following odometer problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Not Actual Mileage Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer.
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042).

Date: Mileage:
07/30/1999 7
08/25/1999 34
01/14/2000 4,600
08/05/2000 7,081
07/27/2001 11,310
12/14/2001 14,360
04/27/2002 14,424
07/29/2002 14,434
08/21/2002 14,502
01/25/2003 14,615

Average miles driven per year 4,183 CARFAX AdvisorTM Compare this vehicle's average annual mileage to the industry average of 15,000 miles per year. Use this comparison to determine how this vehicle was driven.

Do you know this vehicle's current mileage? Tell us and help protect others from mileage fraud.

Mileage Accuracy Check FAQs:
Mileage Accuracy FAQs | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

GOOD NEWS! No manufacturer buyback was ever reported by a DMV for this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042). If you find that a manufacturer buyback was reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Lemon Check FAQs:
Lemon Check FAQs | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

Ownership History:

CARFAX estimates that this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042) had 2 owner(s). CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Estimated Owners: Date: Location:
1st owner 08/25/1999 Illinois
2nd owner 02/18/2003 Illinois

CARFAX AdvisorTM
The cost of ownership varies by vehicle. Go to Edmunds.com to check the recommended service schedule and estimated costs for this vehicle.

Types of Owners:

This 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042) was checked for 8 types of registrations.

Personal Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported
No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
No Taxi Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported

Do you have information about how this vehicle was used or driven? Tell us what you know.

Ownership Check FAQs:
Ownership FAQs | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

ACURA does not report recall information for specific vehicles to CARFAX.
Go to the CARFAX SAFETY & RELIABILITY REPORT for recalls issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for the 1999 ACURA NSX-T. You can also contact an authorized dealership or ACURA at 1-800-999-1009 to find out if this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042) still has recalls that require repair.

Recall Check FAQs:
Recall FAQs | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

CARFAX estimated the remaining original manufacturer warranty coverage for this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042) using the date this report was generated (15.Aug.2004 10:07:22) and the last odometer reading reported to CARFAX. If you have a current odometer reading, you may recalculate the remaining warranty coverage.

Estimated start date of warranty: 07/30/1999
Last reading reported on 01/25/2003: 14,615 miles
Today's Date: August 15, 2004

Type of Coverage: Original Warranty: Estimated Remaining Coverage:
Basic 48 months or 50,000 miles Coverage expired
Drivetrain 48 months or 50,000 miles Coverage expired
Emissions 24 months or 24,000 miles Coverage expired
Corrosion 60 months or unlimited mileage Coverage expired
Transferable Transferable at no cost Same
Roadside Assistance 48 months or 50,000 miles Coverage expired
Safety Belt & Inflatable Restraint No data reported to CARFAX
Specific Components 96 months or 80,000 miles 36 months or 65,385 miles
Notes: Manufacturer covers emissions components under basic warranty. Emissions coverage may vary by state. Refer to owners manual for specific details. Roadside assistance covered for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Warranty transferable at no cost to subsequent owners.

CARFAX Warranty Check provides an estimate of this vehicle's remaining warranty coverage. It does not take into account some vehicle history events. For example, major accidents resulting in Salvage or Junk titles that may void the original manufacturer warranty or ownership transfers that may decrease warranty coverage. Complete warranty coverage information is available for this vehicle at the ACURA web site.

Warranty Calculator FAQs:
Warranty FAQs | Glossary | Register FREE Guarantee | CARFAX Help Center

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 14 record(s) for this 1999 ACURA NSX-T (JH4NA2162XT000042).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

07/30/1999 7 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Lubed and oil/filter changed

07/30/1999 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chicago, IL
Registered as
personal vehicle

08/25/1999 34 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chicago, IL
Title #T9237308047
Title issued
First owner reported

01/14/2000 4,600 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

04/21/2000 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

08/05/2000 7,081 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

07/27/2001 11,310 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Recommended maintenance service performed

12/14/2001 14,360 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

04/27/2002 14,424 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
Battery replaced

07/29/2002 14,434 Dealer Inventory
Highland Park, IL
Vehicle offered for sale

08/21/2002 14,502 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

01/24/2003 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

01/25/2003 14,615 Acura Certified Dealer
Offered for sale as an Acura Certified Vehicle

02/18/2003 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Ogden, IL
Title #T3049131040
Title issued
New owner reported

curbed?

I must agree with Bznes... too many (my opinion) people presume a car is worthless (or worth less) because it may have had a bump here or panel replaced there. Just because a car has been in a wreck does not mean the car can never be made "right"
again. Every case is obviously different. Certain states issue "rebuilt" titles to cars that were stolen and recovered. Does that make the car any less dependable or dangerous...
(because the car fax lists it as once issued "rebuilt")?

All these factors are important to help make a decision, but I would not disqualify a car , just because it has had repair work done to it. Again all cars are different, and I would evaluate each as such. Just my .02. Probably worth less.- Jolt

bznes said:
Encyclopedia Definition of: Expert
I could give you the definition of bias, too. And the opinion of the seller of a car cannot be assumed to be unbiased.

As for your flames, YOU'RE the one who is claiming that I am an expert; I never claimed any such thing. I merely expressed an opinion, which is what was asked for. So all I can say is, thank you for the compliment. :)

Incidentally, word definitions are contained in a dictionary, not an encyclopedia.

bznes said:
I am the current owner of JH4NA2162XT000042
Well, then we know where YOU stand on this car's value.

bznes said:
not one of the EXPERTS requested an inspection the car before they gave their EXPERT OPINIONS.
And it is very clear that these opinions are based on the claims and descriptions presented in this topic, not on an inspection in person.

bznes said:
How do you get the job of EXPERT on this thread?
You're the one who made that claim, not me.

Since you have seen fit to reply here about the car, perhaps you can answer the following questions for us:

1. Why was the transmission replaced?

2. Why was its replacement covered by insurance, if not due to a collision?

3. If this car WAS in a collision, please describe the repair that was done.

These are simple questions which should be easy to answer.

bznes said:
I understand all of the offended experts on this thread will retaliate, to defend their EXPERT opinions, I however will not, I have no reason to.
You're claiming that you do not have a financial interest in this car's condition and market value? Or are you claiming that anyone else in this topic has a financial interest? :rolleyes:

I really should trot out the definition of bias.

bznes said:
JH4NA2162XT000042 is one of the nicest NSX’s in existence today
Nicer than a car with an original engine and transmission? Doubtful.

bznes said:
it has been cared for by one of the Sweetest guys on this earth (must be me).
Based on your post, no way.

bznes said:
I would like to add I have a gentleman from Chicago ( Marc I believe) coming to look at my totaled wreck, to purchase it for more money than the experts deem it should be worth…
There you go again, telling lies. Shame on you. You know as well as the rest of us that no one here has claimed a specific market value for this car.

However, the fact that you insist on making up such stories doesn't exactly increase your credibility as a seller.

I've bought cars from people I trust. I trust them because they don't tell lies, they don't make wild claims, they don't fly off the handle, they don't attack others for what they say. They simply present their car as it is, and give a straight story about it, with complete details about its history, including what was changed and why - details that are missing for this particular car.

Originally posted by jolt
too many (my opinion) people presume a car is worthless (or worth less) because it may have had a bump here or panel replaced there. Just because a car has been in a wreck does not mean the car can never be made "right" again.
I agree with you there - but it depends upon the extent of the damage, and especially, the quality of the repair. A car that, unlike this one, has a salvage/rebuilt title is particularly suspect, not only because there are legal issues, but also because there is less market value in the car, and as a result, the car is less likely to have been repaired "the right way".

You're right, every case is different. A car with a repair history may very well be worth the price being asked for it. But let's not pretend that a car with a repair history is "one of the nicest ones out there". And sellers should be honest with a complete description of the car's history, whether body work was done, and why major components were replaced. If a seller fails to make full disclosure, and instead attacks those who are asking questions, that is a major red flag in and of itself. Buyer beware, indeed.

curbed

I agree with all your points nxtacy... However, I do have 1 question....all cars being different and each case different... this question is somewhat subjective, but..........
Would you rather buy a 150,000 mile car that was all original and normally maintained or a 25,000 mile car that looked, drove
and ran perfect with a wrecked past (extent unknown).
** car fax states mileage is accurate on both cars.

There is no wrong or right answer... I would prefer the low mile car if I was satisfied the car was repaired correctly. Just curious.

Good topic of discussion though...
-Jolt

jolt said:
Would you rather buy a 150,000 mile car that was all original and normally maintained or a 25,000 mile car that looked, drove and ran perfect with a wrecked past (extent unknown).
Well, I would be really reluctant about that "extent unknown" part. It means a significant risk. BUT if I had the car checked out by a good body shop, and they used the laser measurement system to verify that all the components are in their precise proper locations, and everything is tight and done properly, then I might consider the lower-mileage car.

If you had asked whether I would rather buy a 150K mile car that was all original and normally maintained, vs a 25K mile car that had been in a MINOR accident (say, a fender replaced) and was properly repaired by an expert body shop, then I would prefer the latter.

In other words - I am agreeing with your implication that low mileage is an important contributor to a car's market value, and can be enough to offset any discount resulting from properly-repaired body damage.

Hope that answers your question.

curbed

... makes sense to me.
A good argument can be made for either. "extent unknown" is a big factor. I appreciate all points of view and discount few.
Talk to you soon- Jolt

Someone drug this up from the archives....

Just to clear up a few things...

We did not buy this car. But, It was not for a lack of effort. Apparently, some time after my last post, the owner did tell us he had a buyer for the car so we went about our search. We did not see anything that met our needs for quite a few weeks. Then, I believe some time in April, we saw the car listed for sale again. Apparently, the other buyer did not follow through. My girlfriend contacted Gary Cooper(the owner at the time) and after some discussion and additional research, she decided that she wanted to purchase the car. Gary is correct that the car is meticulously maintained. It is one of the best cars that we had found. Our only reservation was that the car had, in the past, needed some repairs that we were initially not comfortable with. But, since the car was so well cared for and since it was Acura Certified, and since our local Acura dealer was very willing service the car under that warranty, she decided to go ahead with the purchase. Unfortunately, because of some differences between her and Gary, she decided to not purchase the car from him. I am certain that whoever ended up with this car is very happy with it.

Back