Need Advice on a purchase

I am about to buy coldhammer's red 91 SC with built motor. Does anyone know the car or have anything good or bad to say about it? I am really only buying it for the built motor. It has 27000mi on it and the SC. I am looking to remove the SC and go turbo at least 500whp or so. I already know I will have to replace the stock clutch he is using but what do you think the chances of that thing blowing up when I go 500? Even a built motor is not going to last forever, so how many miles can I get out of this before I will have to take it apart anyways? I ultimately want a turbo with built motor making at least 500whp. I have around 35K to work with right now, maybe a little more. Am I squeezed on how much I'm trying to fit into my budget? I can wait on the turbo kit until next spring but I know I will not have enough to do the motor and turbo kit at the same time. That is why I thought this car would be perfect. Would gladly appreciate anyones input on the matter.
thanks,
andy

I know coldhammer pretty good. Been to NOPI with him for a few years and NSXPO '06 also.
He is a super nice guy and a honest person.
I don't have much info about the car itself other than knowing he has spent quite a bit of time and $$ building it.
Good luck with the purchase.

Some of the necessary information is the details of the "built" motor. Also, it would be a good idea to get a leak down on the motor. If the leak down is good, I don't see why you should have any issues. WOODY has alot of miles on his car with a built motor, I have around 5K with close to 600 rwhp. Talk to either Momin (ELITE) or Cody (Lovefab) who are both reasonably close to you regarding turbo setups. Momin is in Minneapolis and Cody is in Traverse City MI. They would be the best to advise you regarding costs. By the way, the RPS clutch is probably ideal for your needs.
Tim

I have known James and his NSX for several years. We have driven down to Florida and several other places and he has never had a problem with his NSX. The car is clean and doesn't have any idling problems or hard starting issues that I have ever noticed.

In terms of the built motor, you would need to ask James specifically what was done and whether this will suit your needs or not.

I hope this help and good luck with this purchase!

Man that car is slow!!!!. I beat him all the time with my setup and with him losing 10 lbs!!!! LOLOL

Naw just busting on James. That car was orginally owned by Fabian. Cool guy. I think he is still here on Prime. Fabian did his SC install at the same time as I did in NC. I do not know who did the motor build because that was after the initial SC install. H

However, since James has owned it, we have been to several events together and the car seems to be pretty solid.
HTH
Charles

I met James through NSX Prime and then NSXPO Orlando in 2006, 2007 SESM in Chattanooga and various gatherings along the way.

He is a great guy and would not steer you the wrong way. Very honest guy. He has never had any issues with the car since I have known him. Always a solid car. Can't speak to the motor build but I have never seen him have problems.

IMO, if you're going to go with a turbo down the road, talk to his tuner or whoever you are purchasing the turbo kit from. Either shop can give you good advice if the built motor and supporting mods will be sufficient for your future project. Usually rods/pistons/etc. are rating at a certain HP, so you can get those specs easily online. Also, perhaps talkk to some of the high HP NSX guys and I'm sure they can look @ James' spec sheet and give you advice on it. GL!

I met James through NSX Prime and then NSXPO Orlando in 2006, 2007 SESM in Chattanooga and various gatherings along the way.

He is a great guy and would not steer you the wrong way. Very honest guy. He has never had any issues with the car since I have known him. Always a solid car. Can't speak to the motor build but I have never seen him have problems.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it. Well, I bought the the car so hopefully everything goes well. I can not get it for a couple weeks so I will be waiting in agony. I have wanted an nsx since I first saw one sitting in front of AOB in 91. For the last three years I have been real close to buying a few and it just never worked out due to one thing or another. My del sol is being picked up next week so I will have a couple weeks to get the garage cleaned up for the NSX. It should look nice sitting next to my new black MDX. I will have to take some photos when it is here. And so it begins, my long awaited nsx project car. I have a full stereo and nav system ready to go in and am shopping around for new wheels right now. I will need a navpod console if anyone has a line on something. I will then be upgrading the clutch, front brakes, and suspension before doing the turbo install next year. After that it will be an 02 conversion, bodykit and paint job. I will try to document and post pics of the build as I go and I am sure I will be asking advice from you all on various things as there seems to be many knowledgable people willing to share on this forum. Thanks for the help already and more to come.

-andy mccallum
-1991 Red/Blk BBSC NSX

Congrats on the purchase. Since it already has a BBSC, you might want to get an AEM if it doesn't have one and retune the car just so there are no issues in the future. Looking forward to see your car at future events.

or keep the BBSC and make it make the 500hp...it should not be hard or expensive....way way cheaper than the turbo....

is that a vr6 in you avitar?

I really like the amount of torque you get with a turbo. What kind of tq numbers are capable with this SC? The car in my avitar is my del sol vtec that I just sold. Was just towed away yesterday. 21 days and counting until the I get the X!

Attachments

• 10-13-04_2150.jpg
    10-13-04_2150.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 43
while you do see alittle better TQ curve with a turbo...its not that much better considering your 500hp goal, i should say i dont know if its worth the extra cash....if you could build it yourself, you could get a nice turbo done for $6k. it would make the power your looking for and have nice TQ....

keep the SC, make a pully, get an aem and make sure to cool your air temps...you could be @ the same place, or close to it for $2K.

JMO....

you should have bought my car :) TQ for days ....

I already have the full AEM, 550 injectors, and a walbro pump. That will bring the cost down plus selling the BBSC for a couple grand. Probably need bigger injectors though. I can imagine how 350hp will feel good to start with and then 400 will be good for a day and then I will just want to skip right to 600. I have never seen the torque cuvre for it or any BBSC but I didn't think you got the high torque numbers down low like with a turbo. I am pretty sure I could build the turbo kit my self other than the a/w intercooler and piping. I only have a mig but plan to get a tig and start learning how to weld aluminum. I could do the exhaust side and mounting brackets pretty easy. I have done a few civic/integra turbos in the past so it is not all new to me(just the new tuning options available). I still need to find someone in chicago capable of tuning the AEM also. I have been playing around with the software getting a feel for what it offers and where stuff is. I want to be able to hook up my laptop as soon as I pick up the car and have some idea of what I'm looking at right away. 18 days and counting until I get to go for a 12hr test drive home. Well it is definenlty getting endurance testing right away(700mi) so if I make it home OK that says a lot already. I plan on getting in it in atlanta and 10 hours and three gas stops later I should be home in chicago. Luckily I have done the nopi nationals for almost 10 years so I have the route down pat(and know where the cops hide). My bro is letting me borrow his garmin and my buddy is letting me take his valentine1 so that will help too. I'll do a new post when she is home in her new garage next to her big brother(mdx). Hey??? I wonder if you can stroke these out to 3.7l. Two 3.7l acuras in the garage would be cool. Maybe I'll have to turbo the MDX too, wonder if the wife would notice??? Ya, guess I'll have to put the BBSC on it instead. lol.

Back