• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Advice on a '91 !!!

I found an NSX with 46K miles, with performance clutch, and upgraded sound system. Everything else is stock according to the owner, including original paint. The carfax checks out as well....However, the owner has only had the 15K and 30K services, and not the 45K service yet. The car has not had it's major service yet, which from my understanding includes the timing belt/water pump etc.

The asking price is decent, but how much does the first major service cost on a NSX? I'm also concerned about the performance clutch (not sure how much this differs from a regular NSX clutch, and what benefits there)

I told him my budget, and that it would need to go through a PPI at an Acura dealer for serious consideration

It all depends on what car dealer you take it to. There are some places that charge 100.00 and hour and others that charge 78.00 and hour. I was quoted two different prices by two different Acura dealers. It will still cost you about 2K +/-. But it is worth it to keep the long term price down.

Timing belt and water pump are $1200-1600.

The 30K/60K/etc includes fluids and filters and valve adjustment, and typically goes for $800-1100.

The main thing in the 45K that is not included in the 60K is the coolant, which is flushed when the water pump is changed, so you can basically ignore it.

It would be a VERY good idea to also change the cooling system hoses at the same time - either all of them, or at least the major ones. This will add another $200-400 in parts and another hour or two of labor, but it is excellent preventive maintenance (and it saves coolant and some labor by doing it at the same time as the water pump).

Find a place that does a lot of NSX service work to do this.

On an ongoing basis, keep track of when your service is done, both dates and mileage, so you can monitor both intervals as appropriate.

Back