Need Advice Before Purchase

Hi,

First post but have been a lurker for awhile and I would appreciate as many opinions as I can get. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, they recover faster than my bank account.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 91 NSX. (See URL below) Let me say that I'm not looking for a collectors class of car and realize that this one has an accident in it's history. I haven't actually put hands nor eyes on the car but have the starting purchase price in the mid $19k range and am going to the Acura dealership to get a PPI before purchasing. If the PPI comes out without too many needs I'll go for it. (Unless some one here shoots it down)

I would like to push the envelope a little further on the price. I feel like I'm in the drivers seat metaphorically speaking in that I know they have had the car for sale for 8 months or so. They have supposedly had it "sold" several times but the buyers couldn't get financing. With cash in hand how far do you guys think I could push the price?

thx

Booyah

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...5535760?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5808d890

Think a lot depends on the results of the PPI. Certainly want to look at the typical items that can run some dollars if need to repair / replace (Timing belt and water pump, A/C compressor, snap ring range??). Assuming all comes back looking good, then I'd say the low 20's range could be a steal.

Makes me a bit suspicious that its been for sale for 8 months - makes me think people have looked it over and passed for some reason. Also would make me feel more comfortable getting a sense that the mileage shown is the actual mileage (ie; not rolled back).

There is a reason that lots of folks (like me) are willing to spend a bit more and buy from an individual, where you can know all of the relevant facts and history on the car. Often buying from the used car places that is nearly impossible to get.

In any event, welcome, and good luck with your search. The NSX is an absolutely awesome automobile. Jay

Hmm, an accident in 94, corrected storm/flood title in 04, and failed emissions in 06. The pictures are nice, but I don't trust what's underneath the pretty skin. If I were in your shoes, I'd keep saving money and wait for the right NSX to come along, if possible.

Hmm, an accident in 94, corrected storm/flood title in 04, and failed emissions in 06. The pictures are nice, but I don't trust what's underneath the pretty skin. If I were in your shoes, I'd keep saving money and wait for the right NSX to come along, if possible.

I agree 100%

Me too.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread. But everyone will always have a different opinion. It all depends on how you are towards the purchase, and if it's worth it to you. One man's junk is another man's treasure. I think that's how the saying goes.

Seeing as you already stated that you are not looking for a mint car, and know a bit of a history, and still contemplating about buying it for a certain price, I'd say pull the trigger and do a PPI. If there are minor things that need work and you wouldn't mind tackling those things, then why not.

I know people who buy rebuilt cars and bring it back to life and paid a fraction of a better condition car. They don't care about the re-sell value because they just like to drive or own nice cars and if they can do it for cheap why not. Some people can't afford a mint one, so they spring for rebuilts.

All comes down to if the price you pay is worth it to yourself. Go with the PPI. Let us know the results, and the price you're looking to buy it at, and we'll give you some more opinions so you can make a better judgement call to see if the price is worth it for yourself.

I appreciate the advice. I've got a flight already booked and will at least take the tour. I plan to get my money's worth out of the PPI so I'll post again when I've decided.

thx

Booyah

Suggest you get a PPI done by a reputable NSX technician. Not all dealers have them. You want someone who knows these cars inside and out. A local NSX primer should be able to help you there. Personally I'd stay away from a dealer, particularly for the car your looking at.

Well the naysayers win this round. The old girl looks good on the outside, I would give it an A-. However the PPI may be the best $135.00 I've ever spent (outside of Baby Doll 's :smile:). I had the PPI done by John Eagle Acura and they were very accommodating. Said she could use a new clutch. New A/C compressor. Had a couple of oil leaks to boot. Oh and it was shod in four different tires. I'm out several hundred $$$ but drove it for a couple of hours on a beautiful sunny day. It reinforced my desire for the NSX even more. Thanks for the advice...the hunt continues.

Yeah I've got the fever pretty bad, but I can buy a lot of meds for these repair estimates. Once I get back home. I'll post a summary of the details from the dealer perspective. All totaled it was around $9000.00 at dealer quoted prices.

Yeah I saw that post but there weren't any specifics to discourage me. It is only an hour flight from me so I took a shot. The more cars I manage to drive hopefully I will learn what the right one should look and feel like.

Keep looking and you will find the right one in the mid 20's that doesn't need a ton of work. Don't settle for a branded title. With a clean title and low miles these cars are appreciating. Try to have at least 3K in reserves after you buy to take care of any deferred maintenence.

Read the wiki...lots of great info in there. Buyers guide, pricing guide is a little dated tho.

Happy Hunting!

Back