Need a basic driving school

Okay, I did check the archives for this first, but all the hits were on high-performance driving schools, which isn't what I need at the moment.

I've driven automatics all my life and I'm very likely going to be picking up a manual NSX next week. I just want a school that will teach me enough to keep from grinding this bit against that bit when I shouldn't be. I can learn the performance stuff later; right now I just need to be able to drive to work and back.

I'm in the Seattle area, but if anyone knows a good nationwide driving school, that'd help too.

Thanks...

Originally posted by Aiken Drum:
Okay, I did check the archives for this first, but all the hits were on high-performance driving schools, which isn't what I need at the moment.

I've driven automatics all my life and I'm very likely going to be picking up a manual NSX next week. I just want a school that will teach me enough to keep from grinding this bit against that bit when I shouldn't be. I can learn the performance stuff later; right now I just need to be able to drive to work and back.

I'm in the Seattle area, but if anyone knows a good nationwide driving school, that'd help too.

Thanks...

Sears Driving School...or check with your local high school driver ed department
smile.gif

Sorry couldn't resist. Why don't you just go rent a car with manual transmission and beat up on that for a couple of days? You'll get the hang of it within a week...unless you are really uncoordinated.

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Onyx

Sorry, I do not know of any schools like the one you are requesting. However, it sounds like the only thing you need to learn is how to drive a stick shift? Although it is helpful to have someone along, its just a matter of practice (hopefully in a non-populated area). Some pointers would be:

1. Pedals are clutch, brake, gas going from left to right.

2. Whenever you move the gearshift knob, the clutch must be in (towards the floor).

3. Whenever you move the gear shift knob into reverse, the car must be at a dead stop.

4. When starting from a dead stop (in either reverse or 1st), give the car a little gas (to about 1500rpm) and then let the clutch out at a slow/moderate speed. Too slow will wear the NSX's double disk clutch very quickly. To quickly and it will stall (low rpms) or you'll take off like a bat out of hell (high rpms). You'll get a feel for it.

5. When changing between forward gears, try to rev match so that when you let the clutch out it the engine is at roughly the same speed before/after engagement.

6. Try to learn the appropriate speeds for each gear (this is only a guideline, and I think is in the owners manual)

7. Don't hit anything and get someone who has driven a stick before to go along if at all possible.

8. Don't learn on the NSX if possible (the twin disk clutch has some quirks which IMO make it harder to learn on).

9. Don't stress when you look like an idiot at first. Everyone does, you'll be a pro in a week or so.

10. Have FUN!

Back