NC1 Pure900 vs JB4 (Video Footage)

Some early adopters of the NSX Pure900 wanted to test their performance and raced against NSXs equipped with JB4. Both Pure900 cars lost, leading to frustration and raising doubts about whether the Pure900 is actually faster than the JB4. Unfortunately, neither party had footage to support their claims (not that we don't believe them). To settle the debate and make a fair comparison, I met up with Mark, who has a Type S with full bolt-ons and JB4. I had just received my car back from SOS after upgrading to the Pure900 with Ktuner Stage 4, which unleashes approximately 750+ whp for the NSX.

We did several runs from a dig and rolling starts. Both cars were balanced in terms of tire pressure, passenger weight, and same wheel size to ensure no factors contributed to differences in performance. For companions, the JB4 puts out about 610 whp, while the Pure900 produces approximately 725 whp (according to the SOS dyno).

Testing in uncontrolled environments presents challenges, such as reaction time and getting the same launch, which is evident in the footage. When the Pure900 got a better launch, the JB4 was unable to close the gap, and both cars went side by side. Similarly, when the JB4 got a better launch, the Pure900 couldn't close the gap either. This is puzzling because the Pure900 has a 120 whp advantage over the JB4, yet it was still unable to pass the JB4 or create a gap when it got a better launch.

Long story short, there's definitely something off with the Pure900 tune. One constant across all Ktuner maps (1/2/3/4) is the torque curve at 620 whp, while the horsepower increases with each higher tune.

Since the TCU is responsible for continuously monitoring various parameters, such as engine power output, transmission temperature, and vehicle speed, it may take action if it detects that the engine is producing more power than the transmission can safely manage. I suspect it could be adjusting shifts, limiting torque, or employing some kind of safety mechanism. Acura has designed this car with a clever system where each module incorporates some kind of safety feature. The only way to truly understand what is happening is by examining the logs to determine where the power is being cut. I will be sending lots to help determine that.

Join the Facebook discussion here:

Last edited:
For those of you who have your JB4 dont remove it! The Pure900 has a lot of ways to go...

I have the Ktuner with SOS downpipes. I ran the Gila Bend 1/2 mile and was slower by 5mph than my JB4 albeit we had head winds.
Next test was 0-60 using Draggy. Best JB4 was 2.65 seconds. Best with Ktuner is 2.8.
The Ktuner does not launch as hard as the JB4. I had SOS reload my Ktuner and waiting for temps to cool down as it's beeen over 106 in AZ to see if will improve.
sled driver

I have the Ktuner with SOS downpipes. I ran the Gila Bend 1/2 mile and was slower by 5mph than my JB4 albeit we had head winds.
Next test was 0-60 using Draggy. Best JB4 was 2.65 seconds. Best with Ktuner is 2.8.
The Ktuner does not launch as hard as the JB4. I had SOS reload my Ktuner and waiting for temps to cool down as it's beeen over 106 in AZ to see if will improve.
sled driver
Do you have the Pure900 turbo's as well, or is your experience the KTuner is slower than the JB4 with the factory turbos? I've never had the JB4, but I just installed the KTuner Stage 1 (I still have factory exhaust). Thanks

Do you have the Pure900 turbo's as well, or is your experience the KTuner is slower than the JB4 with the factory turbos? I've never had the JB4, but I just installed the KTuner Stage 1 (I still have factory exhaust). Thanks
I do not have Pure 900 turbo's. I'm running 100 Octane fuel. SOS graft shows approx 640-680 hp with this configuration. I want to double verify before I come to a conclusion. Torque is acceleration and it seems the JB4 is quicker off the get go but the Ktuner feels faster mid-range.
Chris Wilson did tell me the Ktuner was updated and I have that version which I have not fully vetted.

Doesn't make sense for two cars that have over 100whp difference to be neck to neck...
It's not the wheel horsepower measurement it's the torque that is acceleration. I don't believe there is a 100 lbs. ft difference with the Pure 900.
Old racer adage " torque is acceleration, horsepower is top speed" .
sled driver

It's not the wheel horsepower measurement it's the torque that is acceleration. I don't believe there is a 100 lbs. ft difference with the Pure 900.
Old racer adage " torque is acceleration, horsepower is top speed" .
sled driver

The Torque curves for all K tuner Stages 1/2 and Pure900 (3/4) have incidental Torque curves at about 600-610 ft.

Back