NA2 Type-R suspension or Bilstein / Eibach combo....best performance??

On my 1994 NSX I currently have the Bilstein Sport shocks and Eiback Pro-Kit springs, with the perches on the upper setting and Comptech Sport sway bars. I am giving serious thought to removing the current set-up and getting the NA2 NSX Type-R suspension and Type-R chassis bars. While I drive the car everyday, the goal is to really maximize performance and the purity the NSX was designed to have. Which of the two systems will offer the best performance? Would the Type-R system be notably better than what I already have? Experience with these systems is appreciated. Also, anyone with an NA2 Type-R suspension they want to sell....please contact me.

Mitch, I assume you are NSXPOing this Oct. There will probably be some R suspensions there to get a ride in. I too was looking for a NA2 type R and was told by several people the reason you find them on the used market is because they are truly unbearable for DD. Think about the cost of swaping out a suspension and then doing it again... and many people have paid to do it twice with the R. I am considering the new type S or JIC and decided to wait until NSXPO and get some rides before putting the money out.

Advance Flat Out:

nsx-19.jpg

http://www.advance-jp.com/

I considered Ohlins. They don't make one for the NSX.

Actually they do their custom made though. I see them for sale used on Yahoo auctions Japan.

On my 1994 NSX I currently have the Bilstein Sport shocks and Eiback Pro-Kit springs, with the perches on the upper setting and Comptech Sport sway bars. I am giving serious thought to removing the current set-up and getting the NA2 NSX Type-R suspension and Type-R chassis bars. While I drive the car everyday, the goal is to really maximize performance and the purity the NSX was designed to have. Which of the two systems will offer the best performance? Would the Type-R system be notably better than what I already have? Experience with these systems is appreciated. Also, anyone with an NA2 Type-R suspension they want to sell....please contact me.

I think after a lot of debate the general opinion is the Type-R setup extracts the most performance out of the NSX possible while still maintaining daily drivability. There are "better" setups which might be "faster" but they either cost mucho dinero ($4,000+), are very uncomfortable or both. The Type-R takes the guesswork out of searching for a great setup. It's better than 99% of all the available options. Honda put a lot of time, money and effort into creating it.

The Type-R setup is most definitely going to be less comfortable than your current setup but most that have it say can live with it, however, as Jim mentioned, there have been many stories of people finding it too uncomfortable for DD and removing it. The point is, be sure you know what you're getting into before going that route.

One important note: if you're not tracking the car, you probably won't be able to take full advantage of what the Type-R setup has to offer.

If you're not tracking frequently I would really recommend the Zanard/Type-S setup. It's more comfortable and isn't overkill for the street like I think the Type-R might be. You'll notice a vast improvement over your current setup especially with the addition of the Type-R chassis and sway bars.

A cheap, effective alternative would be retaining your Bilsteins and adding Zanardi springs, Type-R front sway bar and Type-R chassis bars. Both bar kits don't compromise the ride at all and the Bilsteins should be able to handle the Zanardi springs.

There are several coilover packages which appear to give Zanardi-like performance and have gotten very positive feedback (SOS, JIC, Tein) but cost is a factor. The Zanardi springs (~$325) over your existing Bilsteins with the two bar kits (~$240 & ~$135) will be very cost-effective and really make a difference. It's a drastic improvement for less than $1,000 installed. You'll easily triple that figure if you decide to go with coilovers and the other items.

Another option would be NA1 Type-R springs but the Bilsteins would probably not be able to handle those rates effectively. That setup falls somewhere between the Zanardi and the NA2 Type-R.

I noticed you have a WTB post on the suspension.

The easiest way to extract the Type R suspension performance without having to give up your right nut is very simple. Get the Zanardi suspension from any Acura Dealer, they go for about $1k. And get the Type R springs from Dali, you basically have a NA1 R set up without the reservoir.

The beautiful thing is, you don't have to mess with anything since it is OEM, plug and play.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2132

Thank you for all of the input. If I go the Type-R route, I will go full out Type-R without mixing and compromising. To me it is the purity of knowing I have the real thing as Honda intended.

Right now I am just trying to figure out how much better the car will handle, and how much additional suffering will be endured on long trips. I do track the car, so that is where my advantage would be, as well as not having to slow down at all for exit ramps. Beyond that I really think I need to find someone who will let me ride in their car with the Type-R set-up. If there is anyone within a few states of Indiana who is willing to help, please let me know.

regardless of what you do, get those nsx-r chassis bars. they stiffen the front part of the car enough that you can feel an appreciable difference - and they're cheap. no reason you shouldn't get these now - you don't need a type r suspension to reap the benefits of these.

as for type r suspension itself..... i think i heard what i needed to hear to deter me from buying it when one prime member said they hit a pot hole and cracked their windshield. but, some people say they've gotten used to it. and i'm sure there are civics and other cars whose suspensions are even stiffer than that driving around.

either way, i'm going for the type-s whenever i do swap out the coilovers. i want it to handle better, but at the same time, i want to drive it on the street without wincing every time i hit a little bump in the road (which i already do on rough roads).

Personally, I have found that it is very easy to improve upon many things on my NSX, so myself Im not sure that the NSXR option is always the best one.

Is there nothing on a real NSXR that can be improved upon?

I chose TODA Fightex coilovers over the NSXR suspension. They're stiffer than the NSXRs but have similar f/r spring rate ratios, so the overall handling should be of similar characteristics. Even though they're 50% stiffer than the R rates, I do not find them even close to unbarable even with Toronto's lovely roads.

Plus, many options are way lighter than the NSXR option. That makes a big difference IMO, to feel as your rubber is on the road way sooner. That doesnt even consider the lack of adjustability in the Rs, both in the shocks and in the ride height. Im sure that the R suspension is good, but myself I dont believe that everything with R on it is the best.

The only downside I see to my TODAs is that should I have a problem (which I have not in almost two years), I am not going to find myself with a replacement that quickly.

Ill have my car at NSXPO too.

Given the amount of coin the NSX-R suspension is going to cost, and if you're ultimate objective is to maximize the performance, I would recommend including the Comptech Pro kit in your list for evaluation.

From my own readings here at NSXprime, it appears the Comptech Pro kit gives a slightly more forgiving ride on the streets than the NSX-R (I would presume this is dependent on the suspension settings) and ultimately better at the track since you can adjust the suspension to exactly what you want.

These two systems (NSX-R and Comptech Pro) are the one I'd consider putting in the NSX. Set it and forget it types would opt for the NSX-R and the Comptech Pro is better for the types that can/like to fiddle with things.

I don't know what sort of spring rate the Bilstein dampeners can handle, but it'd interesting to find out since it would be fairly simple (and economical) for you to just put in the NSX-R or Zanardi or Type S springs if the dampeners can handle those springs.

--
George

Given the amount of coin the NSX-R suspension is going to cost, and if you're ultimate objective is to maximize the performance, I would recommend including the Comptech Pro kit in your list for evaluation.

From my own readings here at NSXprime, it appears the Comptech Pro kit gives a slightly more forgiving ride on the streets than the NSX-R (I would presume this is dependent on the suspension settings) and ultimately better at the track since you can adjust the suspension to exactly what you want.

These two systems (NSX-R and Comptech Pro) are the one I'd consider putting in the NSX. Set it and forget it types would opt for the NSX-R and the Comptech Pro is better for the types that can/like to fiddle with things.

I don't know what sort of spring rate the Bilstein dampeners can handle, but it'd interesting to find out since it would be fairly simple (and economical) for you to just put in the NSX-R or Zanardi or Type S springs if the dampeners can handle those springs.

--
George

The Type-R setup is probably going to cost less than the CT Pro setup. On it's firm settings the CT setup can be much firmer than the Type-R. The spring rates are 1000/600 lbs. vs the NA2 Type-R's 570/465 lbs.

IMO the CT setup is really a pro setup for racecars. On it's firmest settings the CT setup is not very friendly on the street. I know several guys who drove it home from the track on the firmest setting and almost lost control on mildly uneven highway pavement. :eek:

As far as "better", yeas, there are "better" setups than the Type-R. But again, they're very expensive and you never know when you'll have fitment/compatibility problems. The Type-R is Honda. And it's very, very effective.

There's no free lunch. If you want a performance suspension you don't get a ride like a Cadillac. Ride in someone's Type-R at NSXPO (there are plenty) and if that's too harsh go with the Zanardi. Or call Koni and have them build custom build shocks for the NA1 Type-R springs.

As far as cost, it doesn't get any cheaper than using Zanardi springs over your existing Bilsteins. Yes, they can handle the Zanardi springs, but not NA1 or NA2 Type-R. The Zanardi's rates are 389/296 vs. 447/319 (NA1) & 570/465 (NA2).

And as far as the Type-R chassis and sway bars, those are great mods that you should do regardless of anything else. They don't compromise the ride and give excellent results. The beefier front Type-R sway increases understeer. If you want to dial that out just use the fatter Zanardi rear sway in conjunction.

NSX-R Suspension from SOS: 3260USD
Comptech Pro from Comptech: 3495USD

The NSX-R does cost less than the Comptech set up, but at about 240 more, I wouldn't eliminate the Comptech set up from consideration given the total investment is north of 3000 dollars.

Below is a good thread to reference.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44377

--
George

Any one actually bought any performance NSX R parts from SOS? Such as the brake system, suspension, mesh engine cover, etc? I'm not talking about the door sill plate, red "H" badges.

Any one actually bought any performance NSX R parts from SOS? Such as the brake system, suspension, mesh engine cover, etc? I'm not talking about the door sill plate, red "H" badges.

Yes I got my NSX-R front sway and braces from SOS. Why do you ask?

I bought my NSX-R chassis bars from SOS.

More threads on the "best suspension" for the NSX.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76254

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53103

At the time, I was set on getting the NSX-R suspension when they were available for $1800 or so. As good as the NSX-R kit is, now at over $3000 it only makes sense, to me at least, to at least consider if not go with the Comptech Pro kit. The NSX-R kit is the end all be all for a drop-in, non adjustable, no fuss, no muss kit for the sports minded driver. The Type S and Zanardi live somwhere in between the stock and NSX-R. It may be a more economical alternative for Meeyatch1 since it was mentioned before the Bilstein dampeners can handle the Type S and Zanardi springs.

...it just comes down to knowing exactly what you want.

--
George

Yes I got my NSX-R front sway and braces from SOS. Why do you ask?
Just curious:wink:

Sorry, should have made it more clear. Any one have purchased NSX-R performance parts such as the suspension, Brake system, Seats, Mesh engine cover.

Please don't inlcude Swaybar, Chassis bars, Emplems, door sill plates, and Coolant tank cover.

IMHO, the best suspension, with least ride comfort sacrifice is Comptech Pro suspension. But the price is $3500. But I really believe you get what you pay for in this instance...I can comfortably say, that in an NSX, I tried most combination available than anyone. On and off the track...

This coming from Andrie means a lot. If he says the CT Pro setup is good, it's good. Based on his comments I would go with the CT if you're at all concerned with ride comfort.

Back