My Turn - Mile Marker 1 - 4/10/10 Photos and Videos

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrDIY8JUmjM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrDIY8JUmjM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

April 10, 2010 marked the 3rd event for the Mile Marker 1

Mile Marker is another event known for the standing one mile challenge. All participants are given a 1.5 mile course (1 mile for the challenge and .5 to slow down) to see who can go the fastest in one mile. Top Gun and the Texas Mile are two other well known events where cars can easily top 250mph.
IMG_0032.jpg

I decided to go down to Miami-Dade airfield (which was once the testing ground for the SSR) with my buddy Marshall (2006 Corvette with Heads, cam and tune producing approximately 500whp) and Dale who has a 2008 Z06 (stock)

IMG_0044.jpg

The morning started early but I was only greeted by many smiling faces from the NSX community. First was Oscar_Driver and his camera, he has a very clean 97 NSX with a wicked sounding exhaust, next I met Luis with a very fast BBSC (I in fact met Luis the night before in Ft Lauderdale at a local car show) and finally I met Sean who was the owner of the world famous Chromotose SC NSX.
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Although it might seem simple to go fast, there are a lot of things to consider:

1. Condition of your vehicle - you need to make sure your fluids are freshly changed
2. Condition of your Tires - Probably the most important aspect of these challenges.
3. Condition of your brakes - You need to stop...don’t you...stopping from 160mph requires double the distance as from stopping from 80mph.
4. Condition of the track - Any bumps or divots can seriously affect the way your car performs at speeds
5. Wind direction - Depending on the direction the wind is coming from will also affect your run.

With a new set of BFGoodrich KDWs and fresh fluids, I was ready to go!

The organizer allowed everyone to drive down the track in a row (at about 80mph) to get a feel of the track. Personally this was very important to me since the last airfield I raced on (NSX vs. GTR in NC) I almost got launched off the track at 140mph because of bumps midfield. To my pleasure, this airfield was as smooth as silk so I knew I would be comfortable at speed. Also a few weeks ago, a Ford GT hit 256.8mph on this same field so I knew it was safe.

My target speed was kind of low. Before coming to this event, I would have been happy with a 155-160mph run. (Remember this is a standing mile, not a top speed run)

So I was off on my first unofficial run of the day. I wanted to feel out the car and see if I needed to adjust anything. I forgot to mention, I am running the LoveFab Turbo stage 1 system. Down the track I go and to my dismay, I forgot about my Navi pod...well taking off from a standing start launched it off of my dash as seen below

I know, I know, I need to secure that but before I was boosted, I never had that problem. Either way, with that pass, I did 153mph and she still had a lot in her.

Anyway on my next run, I easily hit 166mph my next run after that hit almost 170mph in one mile from a standing stop. With the adjustment for mis-calculations, +/- 170mph was achieved.

My happiness comes from our NSXs which have a 16 year old design easily kept up with the newer more modern big V8 who were also only hitting 163-170mph. We even saw a new Nissan GTR hit 171mph. M5 V-10 167mph

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

This Bentley GT hit 184mph with the Air on and a passenger!
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

715whp CL65 that hit 181mph

On the way home, we decided to stop by one of Florida’s Alligator Airboat Rides
IMG_0045.jpg

Dale thought it would be a smart idea to feed the alligator Cheetos...surprisingly he (alligator) enjoyed them.
IMG_0042.jpg

Sorry, no funny ending to this story!

1004chp_04_omile_marker_1_event_rac.jpg

Hey Alex, what a great write up man, thanks so much for coming over, I am glad you are coming for the next run, I'll be still NA, so I have set some goals:

• To be 20 lbs LIGHTER myself = (175-180) .. right now I am 200, and that is not good.

• DF side intake covers

• DF air intake snorkel

• 1/4 of a tank of gas, as I was full on the day

• MOMO steering wheel

• OEM 16-17 wheels

:D

===
I hope I can improve my times :)

here are some extra shots courtesy of: http://www.marcnortonphotography.com/

mile1.jpg

mile2.jpg

Pleasure to meet you!

Oscar

That sounds really fun, I wish we could have events like this up in the north east.

• To be 20 lbs LIGHTER myself = (175-180) .. right now I am 200, and that is not good.

• DF side intake covers

• DF air intake snorkel

• 1/4 of a tank of gas, as I was full on the day

• MOMO steering wheel

• OEM 16-17 wheels

Great goals but I would reconsider the 1/4 tank of gas, I came with just a little more than 1/4 and after just one run, remember I had to leave to refuel.

Not to mention the gas station was 14 miles away so if anything bring a 5 gallon container of fuel.

Great write up and vid. Thank you! How much PSI are you pushing and what is your WHP? Also, any idea as to what mods the Bentley had?

Great write up and vid. Thank you! How much PSI are you pushing and what is your WHP? Also, any idea as to what mods the Bentley had?

I am running 6.5 psi and my power is about 400rwhp

The Bentley was BONE STOCK...in fact the owner just bought it a few weeks prior. He still had dealer plates on the car.

Back