My NSX is Dead...

So I left my nsx for about 3 weeks without being started. Its completely dead. I'm suspecting a dead battery.

I tried jump starting the nsx with my civic. All the interior lights turn on with the key in the on position, radio works, I can hear some winding sounds coming from the front end somewhere.

When I try to crank the car, everything just dies down, and the nsx won't start, all the lights die down. I can hear it try to crank but very very weak.

Is this normal? Maybe I need more power that my civic can't give? Is there a specific battery ill be needing? Thanks a lot guys.

Clean your battery post connectors and battery posts as well. The connectors on the cables are known for "losing" connection or being intermitant so to say!

I've had this same problem. I replaced the connectors, cleanned up the cables and put everything back together. While doing all that I put the battery on a charger. Have had no problems since.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

How old is your battery? I just had the exact same symptoms with mine and tested the battery. Had a shorted internal cell. Just needed replacement. One way to tell is to disconnect the cables from the battery, hook your jumper cables to the cables only and see if it will start. If it will crank fine and start, your battery is bad. If same conditions, then it's something else.

I'm not sure how old the current battery. I don't think I have any record of it being changed.

So should my civic battery have started it without a problem? Or do I still a more powerful battery?

Clean your battery posts, cables and terminals. Even a perfectly good looking post/cable/terminal can be all screwed up. Mine looked perfectly fine, not even any oxidation of any sort, but still was the only problem.

Last edited:
In NJ, winter time....dead batteries are common. Both are mine are stone cold dead. My brother bought one of those jump boxes at Pep Boys and his NSX wouldn't start even using one of those things. I found that you need to let it charge for awhile before even trying to start it.

FWIW, you didn't say if you let the Civic charge the NSX battery for a proper amount of time, say 2-3 minutes at about 2500 rpm. If your NSX battery were completely discharged it would take some time to regain a sufficient charge to start the car even with the other battery attached to it.

Also check your system for a slow discharge. Three weeks is not very long to let a car sit and have the battery die. Mine will often sit for six weeks or longer with no ill effects.

HTH

Also check your system for a slow discharge. Three weeks is not very long to let a car sit and have the battery die. Mine will often sit for six weeks or longer with no ill effects.

Your in Sunny Cali, try that in 0 degree temps and see how long it will keep a charge.:biggrin:

BrianK,

just curious, where are the 'jump start' terminals in the engine bay? thanks!

perpindicular with coolant resivour. theres a black top housing next to the fuse box, pull it up and one connection goes there and the other I believe by the throttle boddies. You'll see them both marked with (+) and (-). Otherwise look inside owner manual for illistration and instructions

perpindicular with coolant resivour. theres a black top housing next to the fuse box, pull it up and one connection goes there and the other I believe by the throttle boddies. You'll see them both marked with (+) and (-). Otherwise look inside owner manual for illistration and instructions

Yes, the negative terminal is on the throttle body, the positive is under the fuse cover. (You didn't know that Brian? :confused:)

so i should let the civic charge the nsx fir about 5 minutes before trying to crank it?

so i should let the civic charge the nsx fir about 5 minutes before trying to crank it?

At least five minutes. My battery died about two months ago after I left the interior lights on for a week, I had to charge the NSX battery up by using my S2k. I think I did it for fifteen minutes. After that, take the car out for a long driver and let the battery charge. If you have an old battery, you may need to replace it soon.

Oh yeah, make sure you keep your civic running.

shes alive!!!

hooked her up to the running civic for a good 30minutes, and she started right up. wasted gas driving around for another hour hoping to recharge the battery.

i hope she wont give me problems later down the road. thanks guys

A tip I learned from an EE - if you can possibly fit them on, use two sets of jumper cables at the same time - starts immediately every time!

You weren't wasting gas. It was entertainment expense.:biggrin: Do you have a baterry tender? Perhaps a battery tender can keep you battery from going dead when you don't drive the NSX at least once a week. Hibernation is not very good for batteries.

where is the negative post in the engine bay? i was searching and i couldnt find it...

where is the negative post in the engine bay? i was searching and i couldnt find it...

Just pull the spare so you don't make any mistake.

I keep my car on a battery tender here in Nj and no problems what so ever. Starts every time. Frank

After killing multiple batteries in multiple cars from repeated complete discharges (damn Michigan winters) I too have seen the light and am a big proponent of battery tenders/float chargers.

They are pretty inexpensive and will keep your batteries charged up (but not overcharged) when you are storing your cars. The tenders usually come with a cable that has a quick release connector along the cable so you can keep the wiring connected to the battery and just "plug it in" when you pull into your garage. I have my NSX tender's connector tucked inside the front grille opening. Connecting/disconnecting takes 2 seconds!

Also I buy all of my automotive batteries at Costco because their battery return policy remains very generous! I returned 2 malfunctioning batteries two brand new ones in the past 2 months alone! I also have a charger with a "desulfate" setting but it never seems to be able to resurrect a dead battery.

Last edited:
Also if your battery has been low, it puts more stress on the alternator which can wear out the brushes... I just replaced my battery and sometimes its tough to crank the car. Most of the time its pretty peppy when you crank it up... but other times it takes 3-4 seconds of holding the ignition down. :confused:

Back