My NSX Buying Experience

I'm proud to announce that I am now an official NSX owner. My wife and I just got back to Houston after a long but enjoyable and thrilling 1200 mile drive from Orlando. My disappointment? I had to add 1200 miles to the previous 48K just to take my baby home. Otherwise, the NSX more than exceeded my expectations. Whoever it was that said "Life begins at 5,000 rpms" had to be an NSX owner.

Forgive me for making this a long thread but I feel I have to share my experience with all of you current and prospective owners. Besides, as a new owner, don't I have a right to brag even just a little? :wink:

The fact that we ended up buying one after only a month of searching is in itself a blistering record. Finding NSX Prime and being able to read all the information posted here helped tremendously in my decision making process.

There were several cars I considered: one in California selling a '97 Black/Black but his arrogance and his claim of having a high income and not really needing money from the sale of the car turned me off - way too much information for me; one in north carolina selling a '97 kaiser silver/black who was very accommodating but there were minor cracks in the bumper that I didn't want to have to deal with after purchasing the car; one in Orlando selling a 2000 Black/Tan and turned out to be the one I bought.

Buying a car without having the luxury of personally inspecting and test driving the car is like groping in the dark. I would never want to do that again and would advise prospective buyers to avoid doing so. Fortunately for me, I was able to find an Acura dealership that had the best service-oriented employees one could ever hope for in situations like this. I had the seller bring the car for a pre-purchase inspection to Fountain Acura in Orlando and spoke with Jesse Rochkind (service rep). He made sure that their NSX guru, Addeil Garcia, personally performed the inspection. Addeil has worked with the NSX since the model first came out in '91. He IS an authority. We had the privilege of meeting both gentlemen and personally witnessed the meticilous and thorough workmanship of Addeil while he changed the fluids and made sure the vehicle was road-worthy before we took off for Houston. If any of you readers are in the Orlando area and need a reliable, professional, and trustworthy dealership, go to Fountain Acura at Orange Blossom Trail. We were impressed with Jesse and Addeil but were pleasantly surprised that others were just as professional: Clay and Darren. These people seem to genuinely care about what they do and the people they do it for. To you guys at Fountain Acura: Thanks a lot!!!

The driving experience was a blast, some kind of rebirth for me. The closest thing I've come to driving an NSX is through Playstation's Gran Turismo. There are only two cars I choose to drive: the Black NSX and the Red NSX :biggrin: When I finally found myself in the driver's seat and behind the wheel, it was like having an out-of-body experience. I was suddenly pulled to earth when I floored the gas while on 2nd and saw the needle climb up to 4K rpm. Finally, after waiting for 14 years, my time has come.

Let me sum up the NSX experience with just a few statements: spectators with wide open stares while you drive by; new found "friends" striking up conversation while you pump gas; disappointed looks on other drivers' faces while you pull away at an unbelievable speed and watch their cars shrink to the size of an ant while you look through the rear view mirror; that indescribable feeling when you find yourself looking out instead of looking in.

Four things I would change if I could:
1) Making entry and exit a lot easier for driver and passenger - it's a real pain when you try so hard not to hit anything with your feet to avoid putting any marks on the dash and seats (yes, I'm a little anal)
2) The horn sounds like a go-cart. Considering it's price, shouldn't this car have a more authoritative sounding horn? My dog's Tacoma Prerunner does a lot better job scaring other drivers.
3) Cupholders. They're non-existent. (this is the wife's complaint)
4) Bose? Couldn't they use a Japanese audio system? Pioneer, Sony, JVC? Anything but Bose? Again, my wife's RX300 stock sound system by Pioneer beats Bose hands down. Disappointing for Acura to have used this for the NSX.

That's it for now. We've been fortunate to be able to experience such an engineering marvel.

Last edited:
favetita said:
Whoever it was that said "Life begins at 5,000 rpms" had to be an NSX owner.

I would think with an NSX, 6,000 rpms would be more fitting, since full VTEC comes in a tic before 6K.

Congrats on the purchase. I still remember picking mine up and driving it home from ATL to WI. What a blast. I could not believe I actually owned one!!!! You have many owners in your area, and they have many local events too. See your regional area on the forum main page.

Gotta love black/tan! Good taste and welcome.

It is a shame they didn't pay more attention to the stereo, and some of us would have liked things like heated memory seats, navi... but.

put it up on a lift and take some time and browse the underside of your car. You'll see where all the value is and it will make you forget about the minor shortcomings you learn to live with.

favetita said:
My disappointment? I had to add 1200 miles to the previous 48K just to take my baby home. Otherwise, the NSX more than exceeded my expectations. Whoever it was that said "Life begins at 5,000 rpms" had to be an NSX owner.
Good thing your engine is a Honda. Take care of it and it will be just as strong 100,000 mi from now. But I'll bet tht drive was a blast!

favetita said:
These people seem to genuinely care about what they do and the people they do it for. To you guys at Fountain Acura: Thanks a lot!!!
Those are the kinds of people you want working on your car.

favetita said:
1) Making entry and exit a lot easier for driver and passenger - it's a real pain when you try so hard not to hit anything with your feet to avoid putting any marks on the dash and seats (yes, I'm a little anal).
I'm the same way. If you think getting in is hard now, wait till you try some new Recaro seats.

favetita said:
2) The horn sounds like a go-cart. Considering it's price, shouldn't this car have a more authoritative sounding horn? My dog's Tacoma Prerunner does a lot better job scaring other drivers.
I agree. I considered installing a truckers air horn for a while. :biggrin:

favetita said:
Spoken like a woman (no offense) :tongue: Drive around at 6,000 - 7,000 rpm and you won't think about cupholders.

favetita said:
4) Bose? Couldn't they use a Japanese audio system? Pioneer, Sony, JVC? Anything but Bose? Again, my wife's RX300 stock sound system by Pioneer beats Bose hands down. Disappointing for Acura to have used this for the NSX.
I couldn't agree more. But let's focus on what they did get right.

Congratulations on your purchase. :smile:

Congrats!!!

favetita said:
Let me sum up the NSX experience with just a few statements: spectators with wide open stares while you drive by; new found "friends" striking up conversation while you pump gas; disappointed looks on other drivers' faces while you pull away at an unbelievable speed and watch their cars shrink to the size of an ant while you look through the rear view mirror; that indescribable feeling when you find yourself looking out instead of looking in.

spectators: "oos" & "awes", "wows", "that's an NSX"... some of the things I've heard the few times I've driving my NSX.

favetita said:
1) Making entry and exit a lot easier for driver and passenger - it's a real pain when you try so hard not to hit anything with your feet to avoid putting any marks on the dash and seats (yes, I'm a little anal)

My thoughts exactly... I'm about 6' tall and a little on the large side. Owning this car is enough to motivate me into exercising and dieting... :D This might help with the entry and exits...

favetita said:

It does sound a bit wimpy for such a car. Are there any good replace horns out there?

favetita said:

On my '05, there is this single folding cup-holder that's not very user friendly and doesn't hold cups very securely.

favetita said:

The Bose system in my Acura CL Type-S sounds much better than the one in my '05. I also wish it had an in-dash CD changer.

favetita said:
That's it for now. We've been fortunate to be able to experience such an engineering marvel.

You said it best "engineering marvel". It certainly warrants a special on the History Channel for Modern Marvels.

Back