My Hybrid AWD RLX Review (Next NSX Technology)

My local Acura dealer got their first hybrid AWD RLX in and gave me a call to test drive it.

I've been on the fence with the new NSX. I'm more of a Corvette guy, and I'm undecided if my next car will be the NSX, or a ZR1. The NSX should cost about 25k more - disregarding dealer markup on both cars when they debut.

So, I drove one last Saturday to get a feel for Acura's hybrid integration and driving dynamics with the three electric motors and the gas powertrain. The weather was cold and damp, but I was able to test it well enough on public roads.

I'm familiar with Acura's latest technology and refinement. My 2014 MDX has been an "OK" vehicle with a somewhat disappointing fit and finish. The 3.5L burns a quart of oil every 3k miles (wonder how many people check their oil level these days). The electric brakes and power steering make a lot of noise when it is cold here in PA. The RLX dash and NVH were similar to my MDX. Of course, the NSX should be much better.

Honestly, I didn't like the power-on turn exit. I was watching the HUD which tells what each of the three motors plus gas engine were doing at the time. It just felt unnatural to me. Granted, I'm not used to AWD torque-vectoring in other vehicles... but I didn't care for this.

Otherwise, it drove like a nice big sedan. Hybrid integration worked well. My DD is a Prius, so I'm familiar with hybrid tech.

Unfortunately, this RLX didn't have the Krell audio. I would have liked an audition, but Acura's still have a little ways to go in interior noise. They are getting better.

I'm excited to drive the new NSX, but I doubt I'll be able to anytime soon. Even when they come out, I'm told they are special-order only.

Dave

Did it feel like it had "370 hp" under hard acceleration with the emotors assisting or just another "300 hp" V6 in a 4000+ lb car.

Also, did you gauge any average MPGs?

I can't really say. It felt "strong," but I don't have any other 4000lb ~350HP vehicles to compare it to.

I will say that the combustion powertrain transmission was excellent. No clunkiness and very linear feel.

No clue on MPG's. It was cold, the heater was going a lot, and I was driving aggressively. It wouldn't have been representative of real-life.

I can't really say. It felt "strong," but I don't have any other 4000lb ~350HP vehicles to compare it to.

I will say that the combustion powertrain transmission was excellent. No clunkiness and very linear feel.

I'm not the typical demographic that would buy the RLX nor would I want a car like that at the moment, but I'm curious to go drive one for myself now and feel how the power is delivered exactly.

I've tried searching for official specs/times for acceleration for the RLX SH-AWD and there is virtually none except a few estimates that put it in the mid 13.5 1/4 mile and low 5 second 0-60 range give or take. If this were true, then I would say the emotors are performing their job well then in acceleration and fuel mileage aspects. Weird that no one has officially tested it yet.

I think any comparison on driving dynamics is probably worthless.

There's a huge difference between torque vectoring by electrically powering the front wheels, compared with the rear wheels.

Then add in low, weight and rear engine, and the comparison ends. Electrical systems wise it's worth a look, but little more than that.

Well, it's better than nothing. I did a quick scan of this section and was surprised the hybrid RLX wasn't the subject of a few threads.

I admit that I'm getting anxious. I can hop in and drive a C7 to get a feel for cockpit layout and an overall feel of the car. Of course, I know the ZR1 will be "different," but similar.

I have no clue about the NSX however. Besides the Insight, Honda really hasn't been known for their hybrid technology. I was interested with engine/motor integration and their torque-vectoring. The integration was great - torque vectoring... not so much. If it is artificial and boosted in the RLX. Like my R/C cars with programmable throttle and braking curves - it takes a LOT of time to get these dialed in correctly. Part-power is really hard to dial in and can feel unnatural.

You can't please everyone, but I hope the NSX engineers are working hard to give us a few selectable modes of electronic intrusion that are comprehensive from the whole driving experience.

Like the existing Acura IDS system. Without integration into active suspension dampeners, I think it is a gimmick. Yeah, Sport stiffens up the steering and changes transmission shift algorithms, but it does nothing to the ride. I drive the MDX in the Comfort mode 99% of the time. It would be nice to have a softer ride in Comfort, and THEN I may switch modes more often.

Go on the Acura forums and look at the various complaints on the latest models' electronics. There are all kinds of problems unfortunately. I like the direction Acura is going with their new models, but I feel they are getting away from the Honda reliability. They need to step back and keep quality a top priority instead of rushing into production.

My $0.02.

That is a concern. We don't have any of these acura models over in the UK. Only the high end Hondas. Certainly no hybrids. That said if Honda is really ready to be making a competitive F1 hybrid debut next year, I'm fairly sure they'll know what they are doing with the technology.

You do have me worried slightly on the torque vectoring side of things, but I suspect tuning the system might be easier to achieve a focused supercar rather than the RLX which is meant to fit into a lot more categories depending on the driver. I also think you can do a lot more with torque vectoring when it's on the front wheels.

My 2014 MDX....

[The RLX] just felt unnatural to me. Granted, I'm not used to AWD torque-vectoring in other vehicles.

Your 2014 MDX is 2WD?

I've been meaning to drive the new RLX to compare with my 2005 RL and get a taste for the tech in next NSX (not actually in market for new sedan). I fear the new RLX may not handle as well as the RL, given the relatively low amount/percent of power it's able to send to the rear wheels (is torque steer back?). I could be very wrong though...they may have really dialed things in as Honda sometimes does. The NSX layout eliminates this concern.

Except for maybe sports cars, I don't anticipate ever buying another 2WD vehicle. If Acura is indeed working on a SH-AWD luxury minivan...count me in. Our Odyssey would be worlds better with AWD and the Acura touch (quieter, better fit/finish/controls). The Sport Hybrid version of SH-AWD would make a lot of sense for minivan packaging (eliminate driveshaft to keep the floor nice and low and flat).

Last edited:
Your 2014 MDX is 2WD?

I've been meaning to drive the new RLX to compare with my 2005 RL and get a taste for the tech in next NSX (not actually in market for new sedan). I fear the new RLX may not handle as well as the RL, given the relatively low amount/percent of power it's able to send to the rear wheels (is torque steer back?). I could be very wrong though...they may have really dialed things in as Honda sometimes does. The NSX layout eliminates this concern.

Except for maybe sports cars, I don't anticipate ever buying another 2WD vehicle. If Acura is indeed working on a SH-AWD luxury minivan...count me in. Our Odyssey would be worlds better with AWD and the Acura touch (quieter, better fit/finish/controls). The Sport Hybrid version of SH-AWD would make a lot of sense for minivan packaging (eliminate driveshaft to keep the floor nice and low and flat).

My only other experience with torque-vectoring is on my SH-AWD MDX. To me, it is non-intrusive and behaves like I expect an AWD vehicle to behave. I can't really tell a difference the IDS "modes" make on the SH-AWD programming. The IDS is really only apparent to me in the steering effort and throttle response. The hybrid RLX doesn't have IDS - just a "Sport" button that keeps the gas engine on and makes the AWD even more artificial.

Your Odyssey wish list is why we used to have a 2007 Toyota Sienna - AWD and it was quieter/smoother on the highway than the Odyssey. Otherwise, I liked the Honda better for pretty much everything else. I had no idea they were working on an Acura minivan... perhaps we should have waited for that instead of buying the MDX. It's hard to beat minivan practicality and I'm not that vain where I care about image.

Well, it's better than nothing. I did a quick scan of this section and was surprised the hybrid RLX wasn't the subject of a few threads.

I admit that I'm getting anxious. I can hop in and drive a C7 to get a feel for cockpit layout and an overall feel of the car. Of course, I know the ZR1 will be "different," but similar.

I have no clue about the NSX however. Besides the Insight, Honda really hasn't been known for their hybrid technology. I was interested with engine/motor integration and their torque-vectoring. The integration was great - torque vectoring... not so much. If it is artificial and boosted in the RLX. Like my R/C cars with programmable throttle and braking curves - it takes a LOT of time to get these dialed in correctly. Part-power is really hard to dial in and can feel unnatural.

You can't please everyone, but I hope the NSX engineers are working hard to give us a few selectable modes of electronic intrusion that are comprehensive from the whole driving experience.

Like the existing Acura IDS system. Without integration into active suspension dampeners, I think it is a gimmick. Yeah, Sport stiffens up the steering and changes transmission shift algorithms, but it does nothing to the ride. I drive the MDX in the Comfort mode 99% of the time. It would be nice to have a softer ride in Comfort, and THEN I may switch modes more often.

Go on the Acura forums and look at the various complaints on the latest models' electronics. There are all kinds of problems unfortunately. I like the direction Acura is going with their new models, but I feel they are getting away from the Honda reliability. They need to step back and keep quality a top priority instead of rushing into production.

My $0.02.

Speaking of electronics....I currently own 2 MDX's 2012 & 2014. The 2012 is a great SUV, the 2014 does not get driven much.

Scan_zps4182dd39.jpeg~original

Back