• IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,909
Last edited:
Looks awesome...great work.

I'd love to do something like this but we've got a theatre room above the garage. :(

Again, great job!

Looks great..How much did the lift cost? did u install the lift yourself?.

I am doing a full rebuild on my house, what is the ideal height of the garage to fit the lift and a car? I may try and work this into the plans now, then add the lift later (2 post for suspension work). Very cool setup, great job.
Matt

Looks great..How much did the lift cost? did u install the lift yourself?.

Under $2k, including delivery. A friend helped me with the install and it was done in a day. For an easier install, I'd recommend at least 4 people to help lift the runways (400+ lbs).

I am doing a full rebuild on my house, what is the ideal height of the garage to fit the lift and a car? I may try and work this into the plans now, then add the lift later (2 post for suspension work). Very cool setup, great job.
Matt

For a 4 post, I'd add the height of both cars and the height of the lifts' runway, plus at least 6-8 inches (the more the better). I'm not sure about the 2 post, because the wheels will hang down a little, assuming you plan on stacking it.

wow, that looks great ! , very creative with the tray ceiling. It tells me you were determined to get a lift ! at all costs ! :biggrin:

I just ordered a lift myself and hired a installer to do it. it comes in 3 weeks.

congrats and enjoy !

Matt

You can use a 4 post for suspension work. Most of the lift companies offer center jack options so you can lift the car above the runways. The jacks slide for and aft within the runways.

Wow...I had pretty much written off doing a lift in my garage until seeing this post. My garage seems almost identical in terms of height to yours, with the vaulted roof on the same side of your NSX lift.

At roughly what angle does your roof line vault? How far above your 8 foot ceiling did you go to give room for the roof of the NSX...and how far from the wall? How high can you raise the NSX (i.e. what's the tallest car you could possibly park underneath it). How wide is the lift? Is there a way to stop the lift from going too high?

I still have a feeling my garage is too small to make something like this work, but it does give me hope. And I just realized that the garage door opener is directly above my NSX (we had to put it off to one side to make room for ladder/door access to the attic space above the garage). Hmmmm...wish I had seen this BEFORE we remodeled our garage.

That looks great. Congratulations!

I have the same question as the previous poster: Is there a way to prevent the lift from going up too high? Is there a stop or something or do you have to be really careful when you raise the NSX?

At roughly what angle does your roof line vault? How far above your 8 foot ceiling did you go to give room for the roof of the NSX...and how far from the wall? How high can you raise the NSX (i.e. what's the tallest car you could possibly park underneath it). How wide is the lift? Is there a way to stop the lift from going too high?

I have the same question as the previous poster: Is there a way to prevent the lift from going up too high? Is there a stop or something or do you have to be really careful when you raise the NSX?

Not too sure about the roof line angle... maybe 40 degrees. The coffered ceiling is just over 9' and about 2' from the wall. I raised my car to the 57" lock position (there are several lock positions) and the lift is about 102" wide. I've marked that specific lock position so I know how high I should raise the car to avoid going through the ceiling. I've heard some guys use a cotter pin modification or something to limit the lift height. You can raise the lift to whichever height you desire, then lower it onto one of the lock positions.

It's nice to have a lift in the garage...the RX7 is gone...I haven't taken a picture of the NSX on the lift...

Onlift9-19.JPG

Im getting one very soon, Ive just been so busy with work I hadn't had time to measure and figure it all out.

Im getting one very soon, Ive just been so busy with work I hadn't had time to measure and figure it all out.

I've been planning for mine and here is what I know so far:

Take your time measuring things out and then double and triple check your measurements.
Make sure the you have enough height. I'd say the minimum height to clear safely for a 4-post lift is at least 9ft (I have 9 ft 6in height, so I have enough room to be safe). If you have lower ceilings, then you will need to tray it like 94gsr-98nsx did. Also include the cost of modifying your garage door to roll up enough to hug the ceiling.

One final thought. You may need one of these garage door openers if you have a Wayne Dalton garage door (this is the opener I'm going to use): http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_TorqueMaster.asp

It mounts to the garage wall where the torsion rod is so that you don't lose ceiling clearance due to an overhead garage door opener.

Last edited:
Matt

Being a car guy, and wanting to be able to put a full size SUV under the lift w/ a passenger car on the lift - I'd say the ideal height would be 12 feet, but that's not too realistic for residential construction.

Since you are building new, I'd go no lower than 10 feet and 11 or 12 feet if you can fit it in.

Matt
I have 9' ceilings and was all set to buy a 2-pole when (for a number of reasons) I went 4-pole.
Let me know if you want my reasoning.

Wow...I had pretty much written off doing a lift in my garage until seeing this post. My garage seems almost identical in terms of height to yours, with the vaulted roof on the same side of your NSX lift.

I still have a feeling my garage is too small to make something like this work, but it does give me hope. And I just realized that the garage door opener is directly above my NSX (we had to put it off to one side to make room for ladder/door access to the attic space above the garage). Hmmmm...wish I had seen this BEFORE we remodeled our garage.

With low ceilings and a garage door opener, if you have a long enough garage, you can off-set the lift from the door opening and lift one car just enough to "nose" your daily driver under it.

yes, from my view, those are three real sports cars that perform with the best of the best in their class

Do you not have a garage door?

My ceiling is also 8ft but with the door open the two cars stacked would never clear it.

I read that you can modify the tracks of the door to roll up higher. does the door itself have to also be longer or can you just add more track to it?

I'm getting all kinds of excited! I thought my old home could never give me enough space for it and one of my biggest reasons for not getting an NSX yet is no where to park it with the S2000 and the Prelude in my 2 car garage as it is!

Can I ask what the depth of the lift is?

From front to back?

I know the width is 102"....

My garage is fairly deep i'm thinking if I remove the shelving in the back I maybe able to sit the whole thing far back enough to clear the door.

How tall is the post at full height? I ask beacuse its not as high as the highest point on the car right?

While the car may clear the door just fine i'm not sure the post will.

I'd be putting my lowered S2000 under the NSX (or maybe the other way around since the footprint of the s2000 is the smallest)

But i'm sure its less height then your teggy so if IT fits i'm sure the S2000 will too

Last edited:
Back