my first post...

hey all
i've officially started looking into owning an NSX, a car that i've enjoyed reading and hearing about since its inception. while i have most of the numbers and facts i'll need, i've yet to actually drive one... going by numbers alone, i think i want a berlina black '94... we'll see how realistic my pickiness is in a few months when i'm in the market :)
for now i'm trying to build my knowledge base as much as possible, so bear with my stupid questions!

Welcome to the board. Lots of good info here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm

You really need to drive an NSX. When I first started the decision process, I went out and drove everything I was considering. C5, NSX, S2000, Z3, and Boxster. (Fortunately I had a friend with a 99 NSX)

Once I drove the NSX, the decision was made.

:D

thanks for the warm replies...

as requested, here are some pics of my current car:
it has Tein suspension, prothane bushings (full set), suspension techniques swaybars, dual 3" SS exhaust from the turbo back, TD06 turbo (made 308whp @ 16psi and full boost @ 3800rpm), no cats, apexi intake, various electronics to control boost... i'll run 19psi as soon as i get these supra 550's installed!
DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF0038.JPG

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG

DSCF0036.JPG

Very sweet, clean MR2! I may have to consult you (and the other resident MR2 experts) when I'm ready to purchase one as another toy. :)

Welcome! Question: Why are you limiting yourself to a 94?

well i guess i'm not... i just like that car because it seems to have a great cost/benefit ratio. '97+ is more than i'd like to spend on an NSX, and the '94 does seem to have some notable improvements over the earlier cars (gears, cupholder, etc). thoughts?

95Mr2Turbo said:
well i guess i'm not... i just like that car because it seems to have a great cost/benefit ratio. '97+ is more than i'd like to spend on an NSX, and the '94 does seem to have some notable improvements over the earlier cars (gears, cupholder, etc). thoughts?
Sure, I have some food for thought:
91-93 has an even better cost to benefit ratio. "Cup holder" - no big deal there, you can find something that will work. BTW, 93's do have one. "Gears" - The only thing that changed was the way they were cut. I haven't owned a 94+, only ridden in them, but I can't say they were any quieter than mine, although about every car I have been in had some kind of mod that made the car louder (exhaust, intake, etc.), so I suspect I wouldn't have been able to notice any difference should it have been there. Those that have owned both might be able to tell you if it's a worth while benefit.

Personally, I would have any NSX that is a coupe and is OBDI, but that's my personal preference. If your going FI at some point, pre 95 leaves you with many more options (just ask len3.8;)).

Stock 94's do have one advantage that I would personaly want over a stock 93, which is the wheels. But, that's assuming I would want to stay with stock wheels.

Good luck searching!

yea... i'm definitely going to be considering FI in the future. and i suppose the black roof wouldn't matter much on a black car... thanks for the insight.

95Mr2Turbo said:
yea... i'm definitely going to be considering FI in the future. and i suppose the black roof wouldn't matter much on a black car... thanks for the insight.
Personally, I wouldn't rule out the other colors. I thouight the black roofs would bother me, but I really don't notice them all that much. Of course you could always paint the roof.;) The last color that I originally would have considered was red, but after being around some of the local guys red X's, they have kind of grown on me. Black sure is hard to keep it looking good, but when it is clean it sure looks good.

black is a pain to keep looking good. agreed.
here's a question: what was done to fix the toe on earlier cars? can i just have an earlier car aligned with less toe?

95Mr2Turbo - I just wanted to tell you that you that you have a beautiful car. I almost bought one before I started seriously looking for my NSX. If I would have found a 95 in that good of shape I probably would have. Hang on to that thing. They sure are rare as I am sure you know.

MrFreeze: thanks for the compliment! i love my mr2. there are at most 73 '95 turbos remaining to date.
that being said, i feel like i'm not a good owner for a super rare car, bcs i love to modify cars, and i use my mr2 as a daily driver, accumulating miles... one you've modified it, it's essentially the same as any other mr2 turbo, and it loses it's "specialness"...

stupid question #1 that i swear i couldn't find in the FAQ: is the entire suspension aluminum? what, exactly IS on the NSX?

now i'm gonna have to go through the towhitch saga all over again on a different message board! ;)

i took that thing off a few days after shooting those pics... the occasional auto-x wasn't worth the daily harassment! :)

Back