My first P-Car experience

I test drove a 993 turbo yesterday. Well, I never got to drive it, actually. He was a classic Porsche-file:

1. His 4th 911
2. Believes anything non-Porsche is inferior
3. Believes God intended engines to be placed behind the rear axle.

In trying to convert me to the religion of Porsche, he damned near killed me and a bicyclist:
http://www.nwstreetracing.com/msg/Forum1/HTML/000423.html

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

'98 Viper GTS. Red with no stripes. Stock.

wow, that guy sounds like a true jackass. I read his post and yours. sounds like he is either an idiot, in complete denial, or most likely both.

glad you are okay. justin

WOW! I too have read both posts and agree that you are both VERY lucky to be alive. But then again, think of it another way, look at how much damage the Porsche took on and still delivered both of you without a scratch to be able to walk away from it. Did you ever think about that?

The other thing that I have comment on is that I can't believe that anyone who spends more than his fair share of time on the track as this guy seems to, and calls himself and "instructor" would ever abuse public roads like that. That is just pure stupidity. I spent 12 days and 2,000 track miles last year at VIR, Road Atlanta and Charlotte Motor Speedway and I find that the more time I spend on the track the SLOWER I drive on the street. On the track you never have people going the opposite direction (unless they just spun), and you know pretty well that there are no bicyclists waiting for you past the apex.

I think that kind of street driving is criminal and the driver is very lucky that you don't sue. Having owned an NSX, and now owning a Porsche C4S (everything that turbo has in it but the turbo itself) I can tell you that the car is remarkably stable, but it still can't violate the laws of physics when someone else violates the laws of common sense.
smile.gif

Glad to know you are OK. Save the hot laps for the track.

Gordon G. Miller, III
1996 Porsche C4S
Used to Own
2000 Acura NSX-T

Multisync23 - glad you walked away!

I just have to say after reading all the threads - isn't it more than a bit amusing to see the differences in the two accounts! It's very hard to admit fault to yourself when you screw up like that (believe me I've been there), but it is best. My accident (not that severe) really brought me back down to earth.

I read all the posts, on this page, the Porsche page,and the "StreetRacing" page. After absorbing all the input from various enthusiasts I can only come to the same conclusion I always have...Race on a track, plain and simple. You would think that everyone who can afford these cars is as intellegent, and responsible as they are wealthy, but unfortunantly that doesn't always appear to be the case. I am glad you didn't have to pay the price for his foolishness.

------------------
See you all in Wisconsin!

multi,

glad to hear you survived the driver's lack of maturity. here are a few comments re one of his postings (CAN'T I PLEASE EMAIL HIM DIRECTLY!;>)

"I keep replaying the accident over and over in my head, and I don't think there was anything I could have done to prevent it."
except if his family doc had discovered his severely impacted cranial-rectal condition prior to him driving the car.

"When I went around the guy and was correcting for the 'swerve', the car seemed to be recovering".
unfortunately, the car isn't 100% accurate when correcting for near-terminally stupid drivers.

"Since this was a very narrow street, I just ran out of road before I hit."
and damned near killed my passenger in the process.

"If I had been in my Explorer, the bicyclist would have been toast."
and i'd be in jail because my passenger would be forced to tell the police what really happened.

"As I was standing on the side of the road waiting for the fire dept, several motorists stopped to lend aid. After looking at the car from 20 feet away, one asked “are they dead?”, thinking someone was still inside of the car….. it looked that bad."
so i said "yes, i've been brain dead for years... they're just waiting for my body to catch up"

"I’ll be making that call to my insurance agent in a few minutes…. This is not going to be fun"
especially if the insurance agent has a f***ing clue that i had a passenger who knows i was doing 3x the speedlimit in the car just moments.

this reminds me of when my friends and i were sr's in high school ('71, so i'm an OLD GUY), out horsing around with one of the guy's convertible fords... damned near drove it off a hillside when the driver was too agressive in the turn. fortunately his dad was a redneck, so we blamed it on a "hippie in a vw bus" and my pal skated.

again, multi - you're one lucky puppy.

be well.
hal

wow, after reading all the threads on this thing there is no other possible conclusion than to think this guy is a first class ass (money does at least put you in the first class category)

makes me wanna grow up and buy a TT just so I can go around mowing down all those pesky irresponsible bikers everywhere for not staying out of MY PRIVATE ROADS

other than that, glad you walked away...

out of curiosity, did you decide on buying a TT?
hehehe

Gee man! I'm really glad you feel you're ok and were able to walk away HOWEVER GO SEE A DOCTOR!!! Get an MRI of you neck. The odds are you may have damaged disc in your neck and just haven't felt the pain yet. Sometimes it takes weeks for it to kick in. It's no fun at all! I'm not a lawyer chasing victims but a sufferer of spine problems. It's just better to make sure things are a-okay.

Also this guy legally needs to file an accident report http://www.odot.state.or.us/dmv/Acc_Insur/acc_responsibility.htm#reporting. In the report he has to state if there were any passengers and who they are. In doing so his insurance company may ask you what happened. They may ask the cops to investigate the accident because the car was totalled and the cost is going to be REALLY high.

The cops will determine the speed and approximate position of the car when it started losing control.

You may want your story to reflect your view of things not what he would like your view to be. You may want to speak to your insurance company and determine whether you should file a report with the cops right away just to protect yourself in case something did happen to you and just don't know it yet.

If this guy is going to blame the bicylist then the direction and numbers better indicate that as fact. As for the law, bicyclist are required to be as close to the curb under most circumstances. They are allowed to be in the normal lane under certain conditions. See http://www.odot.state.or.us/techserv/bikewalk/plan_app/statutes.htm#bikeduty - Oregon law. I think any jury would say even if the bicylist was in the middle of road the motorist was driving unsafe for conditions. Hence the claim against the bicylist would be minimal because under safe conditions he would have most likely not damaged his car manuvering out of harms way.

AND BTW this guy is a total jerk! I'm totally amazed he's an instructor and drives like this on the streets. I learned a long time ago $#@* happens when you're out screwing around. In all my years of racing I saw more screw ups not during pratice or racing but in off time when concentration was not 100% focused. This guy deserves to lose his license and shouldn't be an instructor until truly understands the magnitude of his careless actions!

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

I have read both accounts and obviously one is more believable than the other...

I sent a money order over a month ago for his Sport Cats and FVD Intercooler...he still has not shipped them...

I am sorry you had to be a victim in this accident and I'm very glad you're ok...but...

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL-S
2000 Chevy Silverado Z71
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
1995 VW Golf w/ 1999 VR6 Swap

[This message has been edited by Astroboy (edited 31 May 2001).]

multi,

i'm with hejo - get thee to a doc and a thorough checkup. i also agree with hejo on following through on the administrative and/or legal issues... your injuries may well surface at a later date and you'll want to have the event/circumstances documented and NOW is the time to take care of those things.

be well.
hal

Back