My Exedy twin plate came in

I just got the Exedy Stage 3. However, my OEM clutch has not worned yet so I am keeping it in storage until then. I hope you give a review of it since others have not given it a stellar review about engagement and difficulty. I have a 2000 NSX-t.

Tan

Good luck with the clutch. I hope your car is not a daily driver or you don't drive in a lot of traffic. If it is anything like the exedy clutch I drove, you will really regret it.

NetViper said:
Good luck with the clutch. I hope your car is not a daily driver or you don't drive in a lot of traffic. If it is anything like the exedy clutch I drove, you will really regret it.

Everyone has their own tolerance level. Some people have stronger legs than others too. :)

I am in the process of installing single plate Exedy clutch into mine. From fellow NSXers, I hear it is
a similar to the Powergrip II.

NetViper said:

I don't think I will regret it. I use this car mostly for track (NSX Trophy).

Untill now I used a Centerforce clutch. The problem with that clutch were the damper springs on the friction plates. These springs tend to jump out of its settings. It happened twice now.
I have used three clutches over the last 4 years. I hope the Exedy clutch will last longer.

The springs in the Exedy friction plates are much better placed compared to OEM and ACT or Centerforce. See picture of the Exedy plate.

kenjiMR said:
Everyone has their own tolerance level. Some people have stronger legs than others too. :)
I can assure you the strength of my legs has nothing to do with it.

Finally installed...

Wow.. What a clutch is this. It is like a button. On or off...
Even when shifting up the clutch comes hard in.

It makes a lot of rattling noise when disengaged. It's gone when released or engaged. But that's no problem for me. Or did I do someting wrong when installing the clutch .....?

The only real problem is the very small point of engagement and high release. It makes it difficult to have good control.

If you are a dragracer, than this is the clutch to beat. For city driving you need a lot of practice. For trackracing I'll keep you informed.

Last edited:
Re: Finally installed...

Gerard van Santen said:
It makes a lot of rattling noise when disengaged. It's gone when released or engaged. But that's no problem for me. Or did I do someting wrong when installing the clutch .....?
This was reported before Gerald - http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6198
Sounds like the clutch will slip a little better through the engagement point as it breaks in, but the rattling noise I'm not sure what you can do about it.

I remember when these Exedy clutches were first being installed. There was talk about the amount of noise/chatter from them. There was one vendor who did tell a customer how to stop it. I think the vendor may of been Cybernation, or ACR Motorsports. It was a vendor who was claiming to be the 'official' dealer at the time. However the instructions on how to stop the noise didn't get published on here.

I was reading all the posts at the time about this clutch, because I was interested in getting one.

Gerard, if the damper springs were the issue you should have considered a Sachs racing clutch described
here . It has no springs! I tested it at anneau du Rhin and it worked fine - great grip, also on/off like you desribed your clutch but I had no rattle (maybe because the rest of the car's too loud). Nothing for real street cars indeed.

If you don't attend the club meeting at Paul Ricard you may consider to try it at my next track day on march, the 26th, at Hockenheim GP. I'll post details in the european forum.

I'm pretty sure they can provide a clutch for the 5speed version too.

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the offer. But I'll try and test the Exedy first. As you can see the damper springs on the friction plates of the Exedy clutch are much more secured in comparising to the OEM clutch. So I don't think I will have any problems with the springs now.

But practice will proof.

26th of march Hockenheim might be a good idea.

BTW I will not join you at Paul Ricard.

For some remanufactured aftermarket clutches, spring problems may be related to the fact that they are remanufactured.

I drove an NSX with an Exedy clutch and it is actually pretty good for the track. It teaches you to shift quick like you should. It's really strange having an engagement range that feels like a few millimeters. You're letting out the clutch real slow to feel for the engagement point, and then bang, it's suddenly fully engaged and you either launch the car or it stalls. I learnt to rev the engine higher and remind myself that the engagement point is much higher than on my car.

Back