My Detail Procedures

Here is my current procedure for detailing and also here are some quick pics of my 93 after a detail job I did that took literally 10+ hours....can't even imagine it's almost 15 years old with original paint (minus the top section of front bumper when i shaved off the emblem)....

My Current Detailing Procedures

1) Get 2 clean buckets of water (1 for soap & 1 for rinsing the sponge/mitt)

2) Wash the entire car with dish soap, in my case I used Dawn and used a microfiber sponge.

3) This was a good chance to clean my engine bay and front hood compartment, I just did a simple engine degreaser and a little manual labor for this step

4) Wash the car with a high quality car soap, in my case I used Meguires Gold Class with a sheep skin mitt

5) Clay bar the entire car, since my car is 14 years old with original paint I went with an abrassive clay using mothers and meguires quick detailing as my lubricant

6) Re-wash with Meguires Gold Class with sheep skin mitt and dried with microfiber towels.

7) With a friend helping me, we used 2 porter cable 7424 random orbital buffer with velcro backing plate and OLC (Orange Lake Country) cutting pads and polished the entire car with Menzerna's Intensive Polish

8) With both PC buffers we polished with another OLC polishing pad and polished with Menzerna's Final Polish II

9) Using the PC buffers again we then polished using 3M Imperial Glaze

10) We then hand applied a sealant (I forget the product name, I'll fill this in later)

11) I then machine polished all the glass windows (forgot what I used but I'll fill in later)

12) Finally we hand applied Poorboy's Natty's Paste Wax

13) Final touchups, cleaned the rims and put on a little tire dressing (hand applied not sprayed on)

14) 10 + hours later I'M FINISHED!!!!!!!

I'll fill more in later if I forgot anything....

garage.jpg

OUR SUPPLIES

supplies.jpg

PREP: (UNFINISHED)

prep.jpg

prep2.jpg

prep3.jpg

prep4.jpg

prep5.jpg

FINISHED!!!

finish11.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

finish5.jpg

finish6.jpg

finish7.jpg

finish1.jpg

nsx.jpg

finish.jpg

finish10.jpg

Looks great, 1 thing that really jumps out and I think you may achieve even higher results (if that's possible!) but I'd suggest finishing the Final Polish II with either a White Polishing Pad or a Black Finishing Pad. You can keep the Orange pad coat in there if desired, but you should be finishing the paint with a finer pad than the Orange Light Cutting Pad. Sometimes using a pad thats more aggressive than the product you're using can leave behind some micro-marring.

Overall, process looks right on point! What pad did you use with the 3M IHG?

Great work once again, we're pleased everything turned out the way you wanted!

George @ Detailed Image

George,

I used the orange cutting pad for the intensive polish

White pad for final polish II

black pad for 3m imperial glaze

:biggrin:

I think this is exactly what you suggested ! lol

8) With both PC buffers we polished with another OLC polishing pad and polished with Menzerna's Final Polish II

Jimmy,

That's great! I was going to say I was pretty surprised you finished down the paint that well with using an orange pad. I was going off your step #8 where you put the OLC (orange lake country) pad, that's where the confusion came in.

Excellent work once again, I'd say you did better than 98% of the so called Professional Detailers :)

George

I would be more than happy to work on any color cars. I actually enjoyed doing it given I had the spare time to do it and simply seeing the end results all the time and efforts paid off.

Unfortunately I noticed your signature you're over in FL :(

Looks awesome...I commend you for taking such good care of your car. I'd like to see it in person. BTW, What rear valence do you have?

Looks awesome...I commend you for taking such good care of your car. I'd like to see it in person. BTW, What rear valence do you have?

Thanks for the compliment! I believe Temecula is So Cal? If so, I'll let you know the next time I head down...maybe in a month or so.

The rear valence on my car is from DownForce.biz! :)

Thanks for the compliment! I believe Temecula is So Cal? If so, I'll let you know the next time I head down...maybe in a month or so.

The rear valence on my car is from DownForce.biz! :)

Sounds great, Come on down. We can take some pics of our cars side by side.

no doubt that the results are awesome! I love washing my own car and working on it but I can't imagine spending 10+ hours detailing my car. I'd rather pay someone.

LOOKS GREAT! You polished it so much your front emblem wore off:biggrin:

lol i actually got a laugh out of that one!

sojusoulja - WDUP! yea i know what you mean but at the time i didn't really know anyone else or trust anyone else just yet to do the job so i had to take it on myself :) at least now i know why full detailing jobs cost so much lol

ahhhhhh im glad you liked it! yea i bet your car is looking amazing! we should get together with everyone else and go for a drive or something when it gets nicer out

ahhhhhh im glad you liked it! yea i bet your car is looking amazing! we should get together with everyone else and go for a drive or something when it gets nicer out

Car looks fantastic. I don't know if the factory paint used in the NSX is oil based and if so avoid detergent soap as it will suck out the oil.

Back