My car is a piece of s**t and I hate it

No, seriously. I'm lucky to get 1000 miles of driving in before it has to go back to the shop for another month to track down some mysterious issue. Sometimes much less. Sometimes the shop puts more miles on it testing their latest fix than I do in between picking it up and bringing it back for something else...

The car's one-year anniversary with me just passed, and every time I think I'm out of the woods with it it throws another issue at me.

I am so jealous of you other guys who get to pour money into your car IMPROVING it by modifying and customizing to add power or improve aesthetics or handling... meanwhile I am bleeding money just to keep the damn thing running acceptably.

Bought it with 76k miles, it's now at 83, and I have a stack of receipts for the five figures I've poured into fixing it. Apparently mine came with the optional "bad luck magnet"

For those of you who are keeping track (and I do appreciate it, I can't even remember everything that's broken and been fixed at this point), I was overjoyed to pick up the car a month ago with the oil leak finally eliminated and the air conditioning functioning fully for the first time. Yesterday the parking brake let go on a slight hill and the thing rolled into a Prius, trading paint. Today it threw a CEL. The shop has a nice little surprise sitting in their driveway for tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, I just drove a Subaru BRZ across the country 3500 miles and it was fun as hell and completely trouble free. Can't fault me for being tempted...

Wow Ben sorry to hear this. What about the GG2H rally. You think you will still go?

Yes. If the NSX is not back on the road by then, my buddy's BRZ is the backup car.

obviously not. I only use my parking brake when the car is idling. Otherwise, leave it in gear.

Actually, it was. :frown:

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get a full PPI prior to purchasing the vehicle?

Yes, and they did miss a few things. Many of the problems I've had, though, were caused by poor workmanship since I took possession of the vehicle. It's been a fun process discovering which shops do a good job when they work on it and which ones rush/cut corners...

- - - Updated - - -

maybe stop tracking it for awhile see if she likes that better

I haven't even gotten to track it once. It's never "okay" for long enough that I feel like taking it out.

Do you have a list of all the issues you have had? I know it can seem overwhelming when you have more than 1 issue come up at a time, but I dont think that is any indicator that you will continue to have issues.

sorry to hear about your issues,but obviously your car has fallen victim to poor service over the years....you need to find an experienced nsx shop so as above where are you?

i think he has a previous thread had listed a list of issues/bad luck. it was a tough read.

Do you have a list of all the issues you have had? I know it can seem overwhelming when you have more than 1 issue come up at a time, but I dont think that is any indicator that you will continue to have issues.

bngl3rt
I've owned my NSX for 22 years and it's been the most reliable car I've owned.
Here some questions for you:
Is your 96 stock or modified?
How many previous owners?
When you bought it a year ago did you have the maintenance history?
Did you lay out a program to do any/all maintenance that was needed?

The only NSX's I've heard about that are unreliable are those that have been heavily modded/tracked or those that have ignored maintenance.
Mid-engined cars are expensive to run.
My NSX has cost about .74 cents per mile for gas/insurance/maintenance over 22 years.
Other owners may be a bit less as I'm maintenance heavy and gas in Canada is quite a bit more than the US average.

How about posting some answers to the above and we can see what we can do to help.

Just my .02. I'm not sure where or who you bought your car from. Hopefully not a legit Prime member. That being said, it sounds abit like you bought someone else's problems. This could've been a problem child before you got it. These can be as dependable as any Honda but they do require their own TLC and if neglected by previous owner/owners, you'll be picking up the tab unfortunately.

Sorry to hear this Ben. Any light at the end of the tunnel at least? In my mind, any maintenance/repair incident is always an opportunity to upgrade the affected systems to something better.

i think he has a previous thread had listed a list of issues/bad luck. it was a tough read.

I looked through some of his previous threads and wasnt able to find anything. I am having a tough time understanding how he could have spent over 10k in repairs in a year.

Edit, found it:

Bought the car in May of 2012. Picked it up in June.
==June==
Failed smog.
Immediately - timing belt, water pump, 8 hoses and valve adjustment.
Baaaarely passed smog. Phew!
Windows are slow and washer motor doesn't work. Okay, fine, whatever.
Car makes a funny hissing noise at low speed - headers are either cracked or poorly installed. Awesome.
(This all in parallel with a four-trip DMV drama because a previous owner listed HIMSELF as the lienholder on the title... huh?)

==July==
Fuel injector o-ring collapses and car reeks of gasoline for a few days until I figured it out.
An extended alternator wire from a previous CTSC install that was pinched under the intake manifold finally frays all the way through the insulation and starts shorting out the entire car under hard acceleration/vibration.

==August==
I start feeling heat coming from the transmission tunnel while driving one day. The needle spikes into the red and blows the head gasket (undoubtedly weakened by the previous CTSC install). Turns out a hose clamp was replaced incorrectly during the hose job in June and the car was slowly losing coolant into the transmission tunnel.
Head gasket, head studs, oil pan gasket, and clutch slave cylinder replaced.

Done, right? Wrong.

Car gets rear-ended by an S2000. Frame damage. $10k repair. Bumper, taillights, valence, and both quarterpanels repaired. Impact pushed the exhaust and bent the headers into the firewall so the entire exhaust system is replaced. In the course of this work it was discovered that an over-tightened oil pan bolt crushed my new oil pan gasket. Entire oil pan and gasket are replaced, but the threads in the block are stripped so there is still a slow oil leak. A/C is recharged because it was carelessly drained during the HG job.

==September==
Get the car back from the body shop. Still leaking oil, exhaust tips are at different heights and look really wonky. Still feeling the heat from the tunnel.

==October==
After not touching the car all month it's time to go back to the body shop for polishing. On the way, the seat belt fails - just starts popping out randomly. Detour to the dealership for a seat belt replacement under warranty. While it's there, I request a pressure test of the cooling system to assist in the diagnosis of the heat pouring out of the tunnel. The cooling system, at least, holds pressure and doesn't have any leaks.

==November==
The seat belt buckle took over two weeks to arrive at the dealership from Honda. I finally have the car back, the windows are still slow, I still feel heat from the tunnel under hard driving even though the cooling system holds pressure and doesn't leak and the temp gauge reads normal. I still haven't had a chance to bring it back to the body shop for polishing.

Also the damn thing still has red NSX-R carpet from a previous owner (it's purple for fuck's sake??) and a tape deck which I would like to replace with an iPad mini.

Holy shitballs it has been a hell of a journey. It continues...

Last edited:
Oh man.. that was a tough read. Unfortunately even the NSX isn't impervious to shotty prior work.

Here's what I propose to try to get back you on the opposite of the NSX ownership emotional spectrum. You'll need to start with a solid baseline/basecase.

1. Replace all the rest of the hoses. 8 hoses won't do it for you imo.
2. You should check your brake components. Get the system flushed. ABS cycled thru. Change to steel braided lines (cheap). Take a look at the brake and clutch mastercylinder.
3. Have someone do a compression and/or leak down test. This will give you an idea on the overall health of the compression chamber.
4. Brace yourself for #4 ---------- Buy a CTSC! Preparing for a CTSC allows you to go thru the entire fuel system. You'll need to test the health of your fuel pump, get your injectors cleaned and swap the o-rings, probably buy a new fuel filter, change the fuel lines (comes w/ the kit), swap out to new spark plugs, and a few other stuff. However, unlike having to do this stuff because you have to... you're doing it with a badass FI car as a result.

$0.02... Let us know how we can help!

Change to steel braided lines (cheap).
I wouldn't. Steel braided brake lines are a maintenance headache. Stick with the stock brake lines. If you're worried about them, get them replaced with another set of stock lines.

Sounds like this car was road hard and put away wet by a previous owner. Sorry you are having to go through this. I'm sure it is a PITA. I hope you get it all sorted out soon so you can finally enjoy the car the way the rest of us have.

I recommend selling the NSX and going ahead with a BRZ. While you may miss the admiring looks and attention that the NSX brings, you will probably be a much happier person.

It was probably a mistake buying an NSX that had a SC installed and later removed. Nothing against the previous owner or Comptech, but often install and later reversal of even the best forced induction aftermarket kit will lead to at least minor trouble down the road. This is especially true if the work is done by someone who is less than fully qualified.

Also, you are driving a 20 year old semi-exotic. Parts will wear out and replacements will, in some cases, take time and effort to track down. And they will be a little more expensive than your average grocery-getter.

A new BRZ will probably run for years without a peep of trouble and most anything that might happen in the first few years of ownership will probably be covered under warranty. Even better: try to find a very lightly used one. It's not an NSX. But on the other hand, it's not a 20 year old semi-exotic either.

But if you decide to ignore this wise advice (and who could blame you if you have fallen under the NSX's seductive spell) then I would agree with RYU's recommendations...right up to #4. I would put that off until you have found a shop that you can trust after a year or two of experience with them. And have that bad oil pan bolt thread in the block re-tapped once you find that shop.

That reminds me...I really need to change my plugs and flush the brake system.

Last edited:
I recommend selling the NSX and going ahead with a BRZ. While you may miss the admiring looks and attention that the NSX brings, you will probably be a much happier person.

It was probably a mistake buying an NSX that had a SC installed and later removed. Nothing against the previous owner or Comptech, but often install and later reversal of even the best forced induction aftermarket kit will lead to at least minor trouble down the road. This is especially true if the work is done by someone who is less than fully qualified.

Also, you are driving a 20 year old semi-exotic. Parts will wear out and replacements will, in some cases, take time and effort to track down. And they will be a little more expensive than your average grocery-getter.

A new BRZ will probably run for years without a peep of trouble and most anything that might happen in the first few years of ownership will probably be covered under warranty. Even better: try to find a very lightly used one. It's not an NSX. But on the other hand, it's not a 20 year old semi-exotic either.

But if you decide to ignore this wise advice (and who could blame you if you have fallen under the NSX's seductive spell) then I would agree with RYU's recommendations...right up to #4. I would put that off until you have found a shop that you can trust after a year or two of experience with them. And have that bad oil pan bolt thread in the block re-tapped once you find that shop.

That reminds me...I really need to change my plugs and flush the brake system.
tof - If you'll allow me to challenge you a bit on the BRZ. I've owned a BRZ since August. I've logged nearly 14k miles on it so far. It's a fun car but even still.. the NSX is on a completely different level and I will venture to say Ben will be "missing out" (Ignorance is Bliss though). However, I can see why a failing NSX can cause tons of heartache and perhaps stepping into a trouble-free brand new car can help him regain his mojo.

Back