My amazing new router - D-Link AirPlusXtremeG

I have used many routers ever since the 802.11b standard came out. I've owned and used Orinoco, Linksys, Netgear, D-link, Airlink, and other brands.

I've had problems with the routers because of the configuration of my house. I have problems receiving signals in my home office, which is far from the wifi router.

My trusty D-Link 614+ router was working okay, but the range was poor, and DHCP server started to get flaky.

I bought the D-Link DI-634M (2XR technology) for my mostly 802.11b and 802.11g PCs, and the difference is amazing.

Whereas my D-Link 614+ (802.11g) router would flake out, even with a fairly expensive externally powered hi-gain Hawking antenna, the D-Link DI-634M with factory rabbit ears is super strong.

The signal has gone from poor to none in my office, to very good to excellent. All my wifi PCs connect instantly, and without being dropped whatsoever.

I was skeptical that a cheap router ($50 after $30 mail in rebate from Fry's) would make such a huge difference. Now I can say I'm 100% convinced.

It's like someone upgraded all of my wifi PCs to cat5e cable or something. The signal / connection is that good.

I have to give high props to this router. After spending hundreds of dollars on other routers, hi-gain antennas, this cheap little router beats them all by miles!!!

Amazon reviews - extremely favorable

This router has made a huge difference in my life. I was at the point of despair and really considered running ethernet lines to my home office (at a cost of several hundred dollars and difficulty due to the way the attic is structured), but now I don't have to worry about it at all.

:) :)

Cool, thanks for the review. I too am considering wiring the house w/ cat 6. I want the added security (I know there is encryption w/ wireless) and download speed of wired. Is there a BIG difference in the download speed? I don't own a laptop so don't have much experience.

Jeff

You're welcome.

Wireless is slower than cat 6. Ethernet cable will always be faster, due to the fact there is no obstruction of signals from walls and conflict with other wireless signals.

So if you have the option to wire the house, I'd highly suggest you go ahead and do it, if it's within your budget. I didn't go for it because I was told by professionals that it was very difficult to do in my house (I bought my house used).

However, my wifi download is pretty speedy. I downloaded a 70 Mb file in about 2 minutes, this Sunday, with my old router. It should be a lot faster with this new router, as the signal is even more stable and consistent.

While wireless isn't as fast at Cat5, the average Cable or DSL setup isn't going to be fast enough to outrun 54 - so the main advantage a traditional network has over wireless isn't so much in Internet browsing or downloading speed, but stability and LAN transfers.

robr said:
I'm a diehard linksys guy and use aftermarket DD-WRT firmware on my routers. That takes your $100 router and gives it the abilities of $1000+ routers. And you can bump up the wireless power output by a factor of 10. I have a network of 3 in my house set up with a WDS mesh configuration. I use WRT-54Gs (I have a v2.2, v5 and v6)

http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forums/index.php
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/
Thanks for the info Rob. I'll have to look into this firmware.

nchopp said:
While wireless isn't as fast at Cat5, the average Cable or DSL setup isn't going to be fast enough to outrun 54 - so the main advantage a traditional network has over wireless isn't so much in Internet browsing or downloading speed, but stability and LAN transfers.
True. Security is also better with wires. Given a choice, I'd prefer a wired connection over wireless, except for the laptop I use to browse the web.

btw, while ethernet (100mbit) is faster than wireless (802.11g), both are faster than the typical internet connection, so the only bottleneck with wireless as compared to ethernet is the speed between machines on your local network.

looks like nchopp beat me to the punch.

you mean flash a wrt54g with the dd-wrt firmware? i'd be happy to walk you through it if you get the router. it's pretty straightforward. or you mean a WDS mesh? not sure what you're asking for but i'm happy to help.

this is the model I use:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

the current ones aren't quite as capable as the older ones but they are still quite powerful with dd-wrt. if you want an older one, you'd want something like this version 3
http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-WRT54G-...501QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180041777904

Wow...a firmware flash will make that much of a difference in its performance? Or will it just give you more features?

I use OpenWRT on my Linkysys WRT54GL. OpenWRT is similar to dd-wrt. One nice thing about these aftermarket firmwares, is that they're compatible with literally dozens of routers by various manufacturers.

Here's the Hardware Compatibility List for OpenWRT
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

I run OpenVPN on mine, which combined with dyn-dns makes it easy to securely access my internal home network from the road. Some of the routers can even support usb drives or other media, becoming a file server as well. Not bad for 50 bux!

-Josh

NsXMas said:
I bought the D-Link DI-634M (2XR technology) for my mostly 802.11b and 802.11g PCs, and the difference is amazing.
:) :)

Did you keep the same old 80211 adapters at the computers or upgrade them as well ?

-j-

Racerxjling said:
Cool, thanks for the review. I too am considering wiring the house w/ cat 6

You must either have a huge house or a lot of extra cash (or both), cuz you can transfer Gig-E over Cat-5e, so unless you are planning on going 10Gig, you're probably wasting your money.

jimmycinla said:
Did you keep the same old 80211 adapters at the computers or upgrade them as well ?

-j-
I kept the same old adapters. The laptops have built in wifi, so I did not want to have an add on wifi card which sticks out and could be damaged.

Joshs said:
I use OpenWRT on my Linkysys WRT54GL. OpenWRT is similar to dd-wrt. One nice thing about these aftermarket firmwares, is that they're compatible with literally dozens of routers by various manufacturers.

Here's the Hardware Compatibility List for OpenWRT
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

I run OpenVPN on mine, which combined with dyn-dns makes it easy to securely access my internal home network from the road. Some of the routers can even support usb drives or other media, becoming a file server as well. Not bad for 50 bux!

-Josh
nice link!

Thanks NsXMas for the tip. I just picked up a D-Link DI-634M for $40 on eBay and it blows away my old Belkin F5D7230-4. Notebooks connect virtually instantly and the signal strength & coverage is significantly better. Excellent recommendation!

...the D-Link DI-634M with factory rabbit ears is super strong.

The signal has gone from poor to none in my office, to very good to excellent. All my wifi PCs connect instantly, and without being dropped whatsoever.

Thanks NsXMas for the tip. I just picked up a D-Link DI-634M for $40 on eBay and it blows away my old Belkin F5D7230-4. Notebooks connect virtually instantly and the signal strength & coverage is significantly better. Excellent recommendation!
russ,

i was reading this thread and your sig file reminded me of your dali experience.

i was in el cajon, california, last week and saw a dali racing truck on the city streets...

(now returning you back to your regularly scheduled networking thread)

I'm very glad to help!! My D-Link is working as great as it did on the first day. My favorite router by far so far!! :biggrin:

or you mean a WDS mesh? not sure what you're asking for but i'm happy to help.

I'd be interested in a tutorial or a good link explaining how to do a mesh wireless setup. Do all routers have to be the same brand or can you mix & match if they're all running DD-WRT?

TIA, Russ

I'd be interested in a tutorial or a good link explaining how to do a mesh wireless setup. Do all routers have to be the same brand or can you mix & match if they're all running DD-WRT?

TIA, Russ

As long as they're all running DD-WRT they'll work. I'm still running half a dozen WRT54G and love DD-WRT. Google mesh and DDWRT and you should find some tutorials on setting it up.

Back