My 2015 Mustang Review

Hey guys,

Check out my 2015 Mustang GT review on MotoIQ.com:

I’m a little late to the party since there are already plenty of reviews on the all-new 2015 S550 Mustang GT, but this review will take a slightly different angle written by a MotoIQer for MotoIQers. Just the information you care about, how it compares to previous Mustangs, and how it stacks up as a sports car and not just a muscle car.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi, Billy, thanks for the link. Great piece, well written.

WARNING: Narcissistic, rambling, long post follows! :biggrin:

I recall standing between the dual exhausts of the local drug dealer's 1970 Boss 302, as a very highly impressionable 15-year-old addled with testosterone and driving fantasies. I always wanted cars that went fast and handled well. The '70 Boss 302 fit the bill, and when Parnelli Jones took the TransAm championship that year, it just iced the fantasy for me.

There have been three cars that I have pined to own:
- 1970 Boss 302 Mustang - when they were $15k I could afford $8k. When they were $50k I could afford $25k. When they went to $85k+ a few years ago, while I could afford it, I could not bring myself to pay that much for a Mustang.
- Early '70's Dino 246 - OMG, the lines, the proportions, the perfect feminine shape. Again, they were always double what I could afford. Even a few years ago, they were in the $150k-200k range; now they are bringing $300-500k.
- Early NSX - 'nuff said. I still don't understand how the '91 in my garage was affordable, is stylistically gorgeous, and offers a driving experience that even today ranks among the best. I feel so privileged to actually own and experience one of my fantasy cars.

I have a history with the Mustang. My father bought a '70 fastback, 302 automatic. While it was decidedly NOT a Boss 302, it did have the same shape and the same 302 number under the hood. I learned to drive on that car, and put a considerable amount of miles on that car during my college years. That was followed by mine own '66 Emberglo coupe, '69 fastback/302, '71 Grande, '70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 (show car), '85 GT, and '91 LX 5.0 (most of these being manual shift). Then I got the sports car bug and never really looked back, including purchasing my Halo car, my '91 NSX.

So, long story to set the background. When the 2013 Boss 302 Coyote came out, I seriously contemplated getting one. But it would have been only saleable in the household if something I already had was replaced ('94 Miata bought new is NOT negotiable). So, it would have to be the NSX that went. Couldn't do it, but thought about it.

I canvassed all sorts of people: sports cars, muscle cars, NSX owners, Mustang owners, Porsche owners, etc. It was 100% UNANIMOUS: none said they would sell a vintage NSX to buy a modern Boss 302. This included a friend I highly respect, who has a history with Shelby Mustangs (including owning a rare prototype GT350R that will soon be unveiled).

So, Billy, with the latest Mustang, and the pending flat-crank GT350, I have to ask again: would you sell a 1991 NSX to purchase a new Mustang? How about a 2015 GT350?

I'm leaning strongly toward "Hell, no". Your perspective (and anyone else's) most welcome.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

It's hard to answer your question. It all depends on an individuals position in life (financially, family, home, other cars, use of the car, nostalgia, and what each car or brand means to them personally).

If you bleed blue that much, pending your nostalgia for the NSX, the GT350 is going to be a game changer for Ford. It should also be iconic because 50 Years ago, the Mustang Debut and shortly after the iconic GT350 dominated racing. Now 50 years later, the Mustang was re-born with an independent rear suspension and following that, the GT350 returns with an unbelievable powerplant. One of the largest displacement Flat Plane Crank V8 motors ever built, with a redline as high as an NSX and over 500hp.

The GT350 will also be a modern car with modern features and technology and way more power than the NSX. The NSX is an automotive icon in its own right and its link to Ayrton Senna also makes it very special.

It's really hard to say what to do. I wish I was a billionare so I can have every cool car ever made because I like so many different cars for so many different reasons. Bu the GT350 is going to be an amazing car that you can track the heck out of and not have to change anything (like an NSX which needs suspension, tires, wheels, baffled oil pan, etc... to track comfortably). I really really like the GT350 and it's going to be an amazing car.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

It's hard to answer your question. It all depends on an individuals position in life (financially, family, home, other cars, use of the car, nostalgia, and what each car or brand means to them personally).

Thanks, Billy. Not that I expected it to, but your response really didn't help any. LOL!!!

I suppose I will see what the GT350 looks like when it is in dealerships, see what the markup will be, maybe drive one, and decide. It's not really a question of finances, more of logistics. I already own DDs for my wife and myself, the NSX, my beloved '94 Miata, the Track Rat Miata (and another transient '90 Miata project that will be gone as soon as we can flip it). It's simply not practical to add another toy (yeah, first world problem, eh?)

It's also a matter of inertia. I tend to hold onto my cars. I bought the NSX from a friend, used, in 2005; I bought the '94 Miata - new in '94.

I am really digging the 2015 Mustangs I've seen on the street. But then again, having experienced the Toys for Tots Exotic Car Toy Rally in Fort Lauderdale and NSXCapades this weekend in Orlando, and seeing my NSX alongside some of the world's best (and even in the parking lot all by itself), man, it's such a timeless, evocative shape. Really, really hard to let go.

I had to laugh recently: on the highway, I saw a 2015 V6 Mustang - with something I don't think I've EVER seen on a Mustang (even on IRS Cobras from the late 2000's) - Negative Camber on the rear!!! I exclaimed to myself, alone in the car "Hey, look at that!!!" :biggrin:

I have a feeling it's going to take something supremely special to move the NSX out of the garage. Hope to meet you soon at a Cars and Coffee or Sebring or Homestead track day soon. (Hint: I'll be at HOmestead with Chin Motorsports January 3-4 if you have nothing to do!)

Last edited:
you should make the room by getting rid of the miatas,get the 350 which would become a track/street car and keep the nsx which is slowly appreciating...

wow you really studied up on the specs and features of the mustang.Have you driven the z28? how do they compare? Would you choose a vette over the ford or camaro.?

The Z28 is a really impressive car. The GT3 of Camaros and delivers very quick lap times in a reliable car that does not need any mods for a great value. Its about as fast/faster than a Z51 C7 vette but costs a lot more. The C7 with equivalent tires would probably be even faster than the Z28. So comparing a Z28 to a Mustang GTPP isn't a fair comparison, you would need to wait for the GT350/R to compare to the Z28.

There is a new Z28 on the Chev lot next to my work. It is seriously cool {and I hate the Camero} best brakes on the market/427 engine, but at $76,000 and no AC/radio, I'll let that one stay on the lot. Probably a crazy track car though.
wow you really studied up on the specs and features of the mustang.Have you driven the z28? how do they compare? Would you choose a vette over the ford or camaro.?

Nice write-up! I attended a ride & drive event a couple of months ago and walked away pretty impressed by this GT.

mustang_front_left.jpg

Finally had time to read the whole review. Very thorough and detailed review. I learned a couple of things. I don't care for the sloping rear deck but otherwise the car is an amazing package specially for the price. I may go check one out at the Ford dealership.

Btw is the GT350 Supercharged or it just a souped up N.A. 5.0.?

SC or not, the new 5.0 is a very impressive engine.
Finally had time to read the whole review. Very thorough and detailed review. I learned a couple of things. I don't care for the sloping rear deck but otherwise the car is an amazing package specially for the price. I may go check one out at the Ford dealership.

Neither. It is a NA 5.2L flat-plane crank engine. Most V8 cranks have a 90-degree architecture. This engine has a flat-plane crank, that is, the pistons align 180 degrees offset from one another. In a conventional V8 the crank would have pistons 90-degrees apart. Kind of hard to explain with words. Google "flat-plane crank" and you'll find some good explanatory articles and videos.

There are pros and cons to a flat-plane, with most pros being on power side and cons on the NHV side. Advantages on the pro side relate to ability to rev and inherent balances/imbalances through full revolution. Saying it another way, high-end V8s would more likely be flat-plane (think "Ferrari") than more common performance cars, for said pro/con reasons and willingness to compromise vibration for power.

Sounds as though Ford is really trying to put the Mustang on the map.

I would like to see a pumped up version of the Ecoboost 4, call it an SHO like Ford did in the 80's.

I think you mean SVO. :biggrin:

(SHO = Super High Output, Taurus; SVO = Special Vehicle Operations who did a t-charged Mustang, SVT = Special Vehicles Team who did among others an SVT Contour and if memory serves me correctly also put out some of the early modern-generation Mustangs labeled as "Cobras", also did an F150, and probably others I can't think of right now.)

what about reliability first year new engine?

Thanks, Billy. Not that I expected it to, but your response really didn't help any. LOL!!!

I suppose I will see what the GT350 looks like when it is in dealerships, see what the markup will be, maybe drive one, and decide. It's not really a question of finances, more of logistics. I already own DDs for my wife and myself, the NSX, my beloved '94 Miata, the Track Rat Miata (and another transient '90 Miata project that will be gone as soon as we can flip it). It's simply not practical to add another toy (yeah, first world problem, eh?)

It's also a matter of inertia. I tend to hold onto my cars. I bought the NSX from a friend, used, in 2005; I bought the '94 Miata - new in '94.

I am really digging the 2015 Mustangs I've seen on the street. But then again, having experienced the Toys for Tots Exotic Car Toy Rally in Fort Lauderdale and NSXCapades this weekend in Orlando, and seeing my NSX alongside some of the world's best (and even in the parking lot all by itself), man, it's such a timeless, evocative shape. Really, really hard to let go.

I had to laugh recently: on the highway, I saw a 2015 V6 Mustang - with something I don't think I've EVER seen on a Mustang (even on IRS Cobras from the late 2000's) - Negative Camber on the rear!!! I exclaimed to myself, alone in the car "Hey, look at that!!!" :biggrin:

I have a feeling it's going to take something supremely special to move the NSX out of the garage. Hope to meet you soon at a Cars and Coffee or Sebring or Homestead track day soon. (Hint: I'll be at HOmestead with Chin Motorsports January 3-4 if you have nothing to do!)

i would never buy the first year of a major re-design.
this is FORD not Acura. the engine and suspension will have reliability problems first year out on all the new Mustangs.
they will probably be fixed by 2016 (at least most of them) so the 2015's will be heavily discounted and the 2016's will be a sound vehicle. (maybe - all Mustangs seem to be fairly unreliable when compared to Japanese built cars). YMMV.

That's because they are Ford, the king of literal retro styling and the least imaginative car designs ever! Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Well everything is just about in the same place as the previous model. It has gotten sharper, tailored, and better proportioned but at its core a rework of their retro car not a clean sheet design. They haven't done anything truly new in a long time...

Well everything is just about in the same place as the previous model. It has gotten sharper, tailored, and better proportioned but at its core a rework of their retro car not a clean sheet design. They haven't done anything truly new in a long time...
Did you read the article?

The chassis is all new with an independent rear suspension, the entire greenhouse is smaller, lower, moved back 2", and the front suspension design is completely different.

with styling of iconic cars the designers have to stay true to the common design language...meaning that customers get pissed if their stang or vette doesn't look like its supposed to.

Back