Must Do Mods

Sorry for all of the posts today!

I'm looking to figure out what are the "essential" NSX mods that most of you do to your cars. I find that with whatever car I've owned, there's a half-dozen or so mods that everyone does to make their cars more enjoyable. Right now my Berlina Black/Ivory car has the following

1) Exhaust -- which I already dislike. WAY Too loud. Is there such thing as a quieter performance exhaust? I'll sell the one I have or put the stock back on it.
2) Wheels. the car has Rays 17/18's on it.
3) Cantrell intake.
4) Stereo. The PO (previous owner) was kind of a hack in this department. I'm going to have to get in there and fix this.

What else is there? I've checked the FAQ's and there's a ton of useful information, but just wondering what others have done.

Thanks!
Scott

The only thing that I consider a "must do" mod on a '91 NSX is putting the window fix-it thingies onto the window regulators, if that's never been done before and you still have the original regulators.

I would also consider replacing the timing belt a "must do" on a '91-97 if it's never been done before, but that is not a "mod".

Nothing else is a "must do" IMHO.

Cincinnati Scott said:

I'm looking to figure out what are the "essential" NSX mods that most of you do to your cars. I find that with whatever car I've owned, there's a half-dozen or so mods that everyone does to make their cars more enjoyable. Right now my Berlina Black/Ivory car has the following

1) Exhaust -- which I already dislike. WAY Too loud. Is there such thing as a quieter performance exhaust? I'll sell the one I have or put the stock back on it.
3) Cantrell intake.
4) Stereo. The PO (previous owner) was kind of a hack in this department. I'm going to have to get in there and fix this.

What else is there? I've checked the FAQ's and there's a ton of useful information, but just wondering what others have done.

Thanks!
Scott

For the exhaust, the Comptech is a pretty quiet one. I think if you're going to do the exhaust, headers are definitely in order as well. DC, CT or SOS (not CARB legal in CA) are all options.

The Cantrell intake is not "essential"--I have one but there's mixed evidence it provides anything other than a cool noise.

I think it's essential you get properly designed and balanced wheels which the OEM rims are. Other than that, buy what you like. The 18/17 is a good combo. Don't go too wide on the front tires as you'll rub the wheel well.

Search around Prime for opinions on the other things you mentioned. You'll find lots of them.

Congrats on the NSX!

What kind of exhaust do you currently have on your NSX? I live in the Cincinnati area and I would be willing to take it off your hands if its the right brand. Let me know. Congrats on the car and good luck.

Cincinnati Scott said:

The notion of "Essential" usually infers priority. Priorities herein will vary widely. "Mods" often is a catch all refering to everything from accessories like map holders and radar detectors to performance items like forced induction. Your definition thus also may likely vary. "Enjoyable" you've already hit on. Keep in mind that your own application and preferences will also vary, so what may be a "must have mod" for one member could turn into "instant auto trauma" for you and your vehicle. There is no such thing as a modification that doesn't involve a compromise of some sort.

For any user type past maybe dedicated HIN show car, personally I would put priority on good maintenance first to ensure the vehicle is in top running condition. Depending on the vehicle's age and operational history that could be as simple as fluids or involve a significant inspection and overhaul to ensure everything is to spec on a used vehicle.

Moving past that point, it would seem per below that you've already covered wheels/tires/exhaust, etc.. among the more common initial performance tweaks. I could likely supplement that with about 50 little things depending on the vehicle, application, and user.

If you are in fact looking for improved performance- brakes and suspension- brake pads, shocks, bushings, swaybars, etc.. may be something you might consider going forward as well.

Cincinnati Scott said:
3) Cantrell intake.

Thanks!
Scott

On the exhaust - I'm not sure what you have on but it sounds as if you have found it to be too loud for your taste. You might try the Comptech, B&B, or Kawagen LEV - all of which are very subdued street exhausts, filtering out nearly all but a hint of top end exhaust note. If that is still too much then well.. less ideal.. another option may be to leave the stock muffler on and install everything else- intake, headers, pipes, etc... until you reach your threshold.. unfortunately noise is a characteristic of less restriction. :wink:

Last edited:
other than exhaust and rims for me...

something not alot of owners do is a steering wheel!!! what a difference. you lose the airbag and possible cruise, put the payoff is great! any momo or sparco will do...

Cincinnati Scott said:

I'm looking to figure out what are the "essential" NSX mods that most of you do to your cars.

I'd recommend a few HPDE days as essential because the NSX's essential weakness is "the soft squishy bit behind the steering wheel" to quote Jeremy Clarkson...

Cincinnati Scott said:
I find that with whatever car I've owned, there's a half-dozen or so mods that everyone does to make their cars more enjoyable...
Yes but you have never owned an NSX before either... :wink:

AU_NSX said:
I'd recommend a few HPDE days as essential because the NSX's essential weakness is "the soft squishy bit behind the steering wheel" to quote Jeremy Clarkson...
Since you're in southern Ohio, I recommend the drivers schools held by the Northern Ohio Chapter BMW CCA. They'll be at Mid-Ohio on April 8-9 and again May 27-28. I also recommend the school held by the Hoosier Chapter BMW CCA at Putnam Park (just west of Indianapolis) April 15-16, and another held by the Windy City Chapter BMW CCA at Putnam Park August 26-27.

RP-Motorsports said:
Welcome! The Comptech exhaust is quiet, as well as the B&B if you keep the oem headers and cat.

I can also help you with other bolt-on parts as well.

The B&B is not quiet!!! It's at least 3X louder than the comptech! Also, if you don't have headers on your 1991, those should be upgraded.

Back