Mpg?

Ok, so I'm somewhat still considering getting an NSX a little earlier than I had planned, as I want to first purchase a house around the spring time. But I'm trying to compare some of the things that I would be able to sort of cut costs with compared to my current car. One thing of course that I would save on is about $150 on insurance a month. So now I want to see if I would save on gas, as I do a LOT of driving. (Bought my car late '02 @ 56,000 miles, now reads 113,xxx miles 3 years later) So what are your average MPG? I tried to do a quick search and only found that someone was able to get 526 miles before having to fill up, but that was highway miles. The most I ever got highway only in my 3000GT VR-4 was closer to 400. So what do you guys get in the city, highway, and both?

From my road trip to Maine last year.
mileagechart.jpg

I get about 20 mpg in mixed driving.

Also, you have to use 90+, right? If so, that's nothing new. :(

Our 3.2L 6speed is used mostly as a weekend toy and we avg. 20-21mpg. However in the 1,000+ miles I put on going to NSXPO in AZ I avg. 27mpg for the whole trip and got 30 during highway driving.

If you cruise, you'll get excellent mileage but keep in mind that the cost of tires alone will likely make an NSX a poor choice as a commuter car (from an economic standpoint)

don't sweat the mpg, save for tires!!!

'91 5spd NSX: my avg. trend -> 16gallons ~ 375miles
- mileage: 81,xxx (:tongue:)
- mods: uni-filter & air-induction scoop
- wheels: Phat-Fivez (OEM 15/16 w/ Yoko's)
- oil: dino'juice 5w/30 & OEM NSX-specific filter

Driving:
2/3 highway (~75-80mph cruise-control)
1/3 urban (often rev. to VTEC: 5,500rpm's+, occasional redline, otherwise avg./above-avg. throttle play)

Performance air-filter (K&N drop-in or uni-filter air-element) along w/ air-induction scoop for air-box are good for additional 2-3mpg vs. stock, when doing highway-cruising.

Wheel-size and weight are also pivotal when considering fuel-economy, and even performance. Larger width wheels resultingly need wider and heavier tires. And this is added rotational-mass = unsprung-weight.

Curbside-weight also matters, there is 100lbs from the NSX that can be easily removed, and another 50lbs-100lbs in weight savings by swapping OEM parts for aftermarket performance ones.

On a trip from Minnesota to Montana I avgeraged around 28 mpg. This included mountain driving and high speed cruising ( 80-95 mph). (In Montana cruising at 95mph I was passed several times, mostly pickups w/ lift kits, that were doing at least 110-120).

I have to add that the NSX is an extremely comfortable car for long trips.

My bone stock '95 averages 25-26 in town, 28-30 on the highway (usually 80-85 mph). I measure every tank, and the lowest I've ever recorded is 23.9, on a somewhat aggressive mountain drive. Like it was mentioned in an above post however, tires will likely eat up any savings you reap from fuel, with many getting just 5k-7k from a set of rear tires.

Back