Moving from Houston to SF, need advice...

In light of this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55241

I have a very similar question, except I would like to move from Houston to SF Bay Area. My girlfriend and I stayed in the Bay Area (we didn't know each other back then) for ~3 years and now it's our 6th year in Houston. Here is a list of my pros & cons of moving back:

Pros:

1. Nice Weather. We can really enjoy the change of seasons...
2. Somewhat related to #1, we can be in the outdoors for more activities.
3. Kind of subjective to us, we think the SF's lifestyle is more suitable for both of us. It's more of a Metro setting as compared to Houston.

Cons:
1. My job/career. I am a financial analyst in commercial real estate service company. Most of our clients are Wall Street I-bankers. This is my 5th year w/ them and I was promoted to VP last year (started as analyst -> associate -> VP). This is the major factor keeping me in Houston. However, my employer opened 3 other satellite offices in NYC, London and FL over last few years. I am not sure if I can convince them to open another location in SF... :confused:

(Anyone in the field can comment on the job market in the Bay Area? Or point me to the right direction?)

2. Obviously, the difference in living standard would prob NOT be compensated by the salary adjustment (IF I can find a job).

There are many smaller factors, but these are the main things I can think of. Anyone care to give me some advice?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I was born in the bay(solano) and I live in houston. real estate is what it allways is, but life in the bay cost alot more. if you like your job, stay where the money is and visit SF in august ;)

bling said:
In light of this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55241

I have a very similar question, except I would like to move from Houston to SF Bay Area. My girlfriend and I stayed in the Bay Area (we didn't know each other back then) for ~3 years and now it's our 6th year in Houston. Here is a list of my pros & cons of moving back:

Pros:

1. Nice Weather. We can really enjoy the change of seasons...
2. Somewhat related to #1, we can be in the outdoors for more activities.
3. Kind of subjective to us, we think the SF's lifestyle is more suitable for both of us. It's more of a Metro setting as compared to Houston.

Cons:
1. My job/career. I am a financial analyst in commercial real estate service company. Most of our clients are Wall Street I-bankers. This is my 5th year w/ them and I was promoted to VP last year (started as analyst -> associate -> VP). This is the major factor keeping me in Houston. However, my employer opened 3 other satellite offices in NYC, London and FL over last few years. I am not sure if I can convince them to open another location in SF... :confused:

(Anyone in the field can comment on the job market in the Bay Area? Or point me to the right direction?)

2. Obviously, the difference in living standard would prob NOT be compensated by the salary adjustment (IF I can find a job).

There are many smaller factors, but these are the main things I can think of. Anyone care to give me some advice?

Thanks in advance :smile:
no job = major pain.
IMHO you should try for London with your company.
i would do that in a heartbeat.
weekends do the eurotunnel to Paris!

you made VP in five years? Wow, thats great

Is it a smaller firm? I thought it takes a lot longer to get to VP?

lets see...I thought it was 3 years analyst, 3-4 years associate, and then VP...well at least its that way at most of the investment banks...

NSXFreak00 said:
you made VP in five years? Wow, thats great

Is it a smaller firm? I thought it takes a lot longer to get to VP?

lets see...I thought it was 3 years analyst, 3-4 years associate, and then VP...well at least its that way at most of the investment banks...

We're not an I-bank, but we following similar structure. I guess I am at the right place and right time. We grew from ~25 employees to >120 w/ 4 offices in 5 years. I joined right when they started picking the pace. I am the youngest to made my position...all other VPs have at least 3-4 more years of experience...I just think I am very very lucky.

Of course, I do have hard work to go along w/ that :wink:

Back