Motorola car phone kit

I had finally decided to get around to fixing the fan controller unit and went to look behind the passenger seat and noticed this wired up. At first I thought maybe it was some kind of car stereo amp thing or part of the Clifford alarm system that was installed when the original owner bought it.

After taking it apart I noticed that it looks to be part of the car phone kit. I did receive the "StarTAC" manual when I got the car but I thought perhaps it was just a relic or came as part of advertising optional features for the car itself.

I have seen some people here selling the telephone parts but I can't quite make heads or tails of what this component is. It has a different FCC-ID than others I seen and the connectors and housing aren't exactly the same. Mine is from a 1991 NSX but I am not sure when the accessory was purchased/install so this may be an earlier or later revision.

There's also this speaker that seems to be wired behind the passenger seat which I assume is connected to this as part of "speakerphone". I'm trying to remove all of it from the car but not sure what else I might find in terms of antennas/wiring that would be useful to salvage for others who are interested in it.

Is there an installation manual I can find somewhere that will let me know how to uninstall it? Or is it just a matter of following these wires wherever they may go.. I really don't want to play interior removal hide and seek right now.

Here are some pictures from what I found. It was fully connected when I found it, I just took pictures after disconnecting it all.

EDIT: I found the antenna, it seems to be the thing I always wondered why it was adhered to the rear glass separator panel. Now I have to find how to remove it without damaging it/the glass (last picture).

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3731.jpeg
    IMG_3731.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3733.jpeg
    IMG_3733.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3736.jpeg
    IMG_3736.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3737.jpeg
    IMG_3737.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3739.jpg
    IMG_3739.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
NOT an expert on NSX phone systems, but this might be a standard car phone of the day. This might be a later more compact version of the original, but similar handset model.

DO take it out gracefully, somebody will buy it, and they are fun to have. They can even be revived as a fun party trick to communicate with other folks at a Cars & Coffee that have a generation 1 cell system. OR conduct RICO operations within your urbanized area of influence.

Do NOT remove the center speaker, that is your stereo mid and cell phone speaker. This speaker is 4ohm, unlike the other 3x that are 2ohm I believe there is a JAE AG5 green connector under the center speaker hump.

The rear window is doubled pane so don't go nuts with the heat gun and compromise the seal.

There might be more bits in the trunk. Three is a brown connector and a round 13-pin DIN in the front left of the trunk designated for cell phone power. I doubt that was used as everything seems to be in the unit inside the passenger compartment. And your unit seems to have an independent speaker, so may not use the NSX system.

cool system if it is complete. Consider mounting the entire unit on a board with a cigarette plug to power it and go retro.

Last edited:
I think that you are correct. The dealer installed phone in the early 90s was the Motorola bag phone - so named because if you bought one as a personal phone it came in bag. They had NSX printed on them with a separate keypad where the coin holder was, the electronic control unit was mounted in the trunk, and the antenna was screwed into a mount glued to rear window. Mine still works ( no service of course ) as opposed to the OEM Alpine stereo in the car which has had all the amps fail with the radio probably not far behind. The Motorola StarTac came later in the 90s. My experience with them was in BMWs.

Last edited:
Back