motor oil?

what motor oil do you guys use for your daily drivers?
i've got an '89 integra and was wondering which oils were good or bad.

does the brand really matter when you change oil every 3000 miles? some input to why people think some brands are good or bad would be appreciated.

this isn't for my nsx as it gets mobil 1 syn oil.

thanks.

AS long as you change it reasonably you should be fine. I have an MPV minivan that is just usually Syntec or Valvoline Blend with almost 200k on it.

I've read some bad things about changing to a full synthetic on an old motor, I've done it with no harm hopefully.

Hey 5inchfatlip,

I am interested in hearing about what you have heard about changing to synthetic in an old engine as I have never heard anything about it before.

I did hear straight from a Mr. Goodwrench mechanic that you should not use any synthetic oil in larger displacement engines, (such as full sized domestic trucks) because the engines are built with looser tolerances and will leak if synthetics are used.

I do not know if synthetic was used in my X but I am thinking of changing to Redline when it comes time to change it.

Should I not do this?

blknsxnoc said:
...looser tolerances...will leak if synthetics are used....
This is the key to any synthetic problems. If you change to a synthetic oil and your engine is not tight, you will have leaking.

Synthetics are by nature thinner than a petroleum oil of the same weight.

I use synthetic on my NSX.

As for my daily, I used to use Chevron's 10W30 mainly because it was cheap. Now I use Mobil 10W30 just to keep the same brand for both my cars.

No other reason really. Oil is oil to me. I dare not go synthetic on my daily with 228k miles on it as it may leak.

Oh yeah, I change the oil in my Nissan every 3 months and each time, I pour a can of Gunk Engine cleaner and run the engine (not drive!) before draining the pan.

Blknsxnoc- the replies are constant with what I've read.
It's like the synthetic is too slick for an older engine that normal dino stuff will help seal. The synthetic will seep through the little parts it can.

Do a search with the term " changing to synthetic oil" or something similar are youll find some stuff.

I dont think anything happened to my cars though.

Synthetic Oil

I only use synthetic oils. My five cars range in age from 13 years to 4 years old. None leak. The 1990 vehicle is a high-mileage (115K) Jeep Wrangler. If there was ever an engine that was not built to strict toleranaces, this could well be it. Nonetheless, it never leaks.
I've heard the leakage rumor and once had it explained that it had to do with the fact that synthetic oils don't sludge. As I understand it, with petroleum based products, they mix with dirt and other contaminants coupled with the manor in which oils break-down, and "fill" in the small gaps around gaskets. As synthetic doesn't sludge, if these gaps exist, the oil will leak.

Back