most miles traveled on full tank

I have a 91 and I have never seen my fuel light on. I drove until the needle
was at the bottom of the last red tick. Is there something wrong?

nice saturday run on the blue ridge parkway: 303 miles
fillup with 11.54 gallons of premium fuel: 26.25 mpg
Talking myself out of a ticket on the way there: priceless :biggrin:

DB92 said:
I have a 91 and I have never seen my fuel light on. I drove until the needle
was at the bottom of the last red tick. Is there something wrong?

Yes. You're not driving far enough. :biggrin:

The light turns on after the needle is well below the last mark. So you've got to ask yourself: "Do I fill lucky?"

I am pretty sure mine got all the way over from Japan on a single tank.

I also got over 30mpg on the interstate the other week, but that is not nearly as impressive. It seems noticeably better with the new exhaust.

myf16 said:
Yes. You're not driving far enough. :biggrin:

The light turns on after the needle is well below the last mark. So you've got to ask yourself: "Do I fill lucky?"

I've never seen the light on either. I feel incomplete... :frown:

myf16 said:
You haven't lived unless you've driven 30 or more gas station-free miles with the low fuel light on continuously. :wink:

I know ! :rolleyes:

on a more technical note, how does one know the bulb behind the light is not out ? should it come on when turning the key in the ignition ?

Just did a trip to southern California (LA) from northern California (Santa Rosa). Got 412 miles before filling up (light hasn't came on yet) avg. speed was 90mph.
Did all mine tune up (timming belt, H2O pump, valve adj. etc and a new tranny) before the trip. I have a 91 now w/95K miles on it.

I find that fully disengaging the parking prake will increase mileage substantially.

To add to this post I get around 350 miles highway/city before the light comes on. My mileage actually went up after I got my exhaust so it looks like getting that mod will pay itself off:biggrin:

I just got my NSX so I havent filled up too many times yet, but my last tank went about 344 miles. The light didnt come on, but it was on E.
Only $42 to fill it back up.....

mskrotzki said:
Driving from Denver to Lake Ontario in New York State, I got one tank to take me 514 miles -- Put in 17.8 gallons after that. This was across Kansas and Missouri. I was almostly exclusively on two lane highways, and on this leg I only wound out third gear a dozen or so times (You have to be really sure you are well past the car you are over taking!) Otherwise I was traveling about 65 - 80 quite steadily in 5th gear.

This was in very late June -- and there was a not inconsiderable tail wind. Also note that I probably dropped 1500 feet of elevation -- although that was probably not a factor worth a hoot.

Several times I have gotten just over 30 mpg. Note that I walk to work and my only driving is highway.

Am I the winner here. Has anyone else exceeded 500 Miles? Do I win a prize?

The fuel light was on for about 70 to 80 miles. There was still about 6 pints left in the tank -- good for about 20 miles.

I've noted that my wife's 6M TL has about 4 gallons left when the light appears -- and I once drove it over 100 miles with the light on. It wasn't really on purpose -- there are not a lot of gas stations in Northern New Mexico!

myf16 said:
You haven't lived unless you've driven 30 or more gas station-free miles with the low fuel light on continuously. :wink:

Ha I did that in my integra once. Gas light was on was on the turnpike on the wrong side for the gas station and couldnt get over soon enough. Talk about nervous, turned off the A/C, sweated both becuase it was hot and I was worried about running out of gas. Went over 50 miles til I finally got to another gas station. Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, with Kramer driving a car til it runs out of gas.

Comptech SC, cold-air intake, headers, high flow cats and exhaust system: 29.5 MPG; highway only, on the way to Expo 2004. :biggrin:
Went through an entire tank full in 4 track sesions at Watkins Glen. :eek:

Bob

In 2001 when I purchased my car, LarryG and I drove it cross country from Washington to NJ

LarryG attained the best mileage on that trip - 506 miles with a 16.3 gal fillup. That was 31mpg and we had perhaps 45+ miles left before running out of gas. My 500.0 mile drive required 17.8 gallons at fillup giving me a mere 28 mpg run. I pushed on until the trip meter hit 500 miles and worried for many miles about who was going to push the car to a gas station since it felt like that gas light was on for a really long time:smile:

During that entire 5000 mile cross country drive we found that the gas light went on when there was about 3 gallons remaining in the tank. (at least that's how it worked out on my car)

Hark! Someone else has gotten over 500 miles on a tank of gas. I am no longer alone!

My best was 389 miles and that was with my cruise control set at 105mph for almost the entire tank! :biggrin:

mskrotzki said:
Am I the winner here. Has anyone else exceeded 500 Miles? Do I win a prize?

You're from my area so I thought I'd chime in on this. I don't pick up my NSX YET, but I did a couple drives from colorado springs to california in my 94 ranger 4.0l 2wd manual. I always make the drive with my sportbike in the back. Anyhow, When I leave colorado springs with a full tank of 85, I usually fill up in some barren middle of where shell gas station in Utah. I drive around 80-85 mph, up down, around the curves over the mountains hills etc, no cruise control. I can't recall what mpg I average but I do know that I get a bit over 400 miles on my tank. When I leave from there, I fill up in St. George, UT, 85 octane again. However this time I get less than 400, losing about 1 mpg. Then down towards vegas, through vegas, at this time my truck is pissed off and pinging and ticking from that crap 85 octane, and I gas up in Prim, NV. Fill up on 87 octane, even less on a full tank to this point, almost 1 mpg less. Then over to california, central valley, and I STILL get less on the tank, about 1/2 mpg. So the entire trip, I progressively get worst gas mileage.

Did you notice the same trend on your looooong drive too? I think you said it got better? I just figured that being in colorado, thin air, less fuel needed, so better mpg. Dropping down towards sea level, more air, more fuel to achieve the proper ratio, worst mpg?????

This is what I got on my trip to Baltimore this past week.

Miles Gallons MPG
333.7 13.280 25.126
410.1 15.211 27.121
414.0 14.773 28.024
238.3 8.847 26.935
353.7 13.413 26.369
394.7 13.522 29.189
397.6 14.259 27.884

2542.1 93.214 27.271

Back