Most likely no more super cars from Honda

BD

Legendary Member
While at a Japanese book store today, I picked up a car magazine and read some articles.

A quick glance through the magazine, I got the sense that they basically said Honda will most like not produce any super cars in the future. If they are doing the car, they will most likely reviving the ASC (or what ever you like to call it) since the bulk of R & D has already being already done - Even with that in mind, it is unlikely. In fact, Honda may put a halt to S2k replacement also.

The "short lived" energy crisis was a preview of our future and similar event (s) will happen again. Therefore, we may be at the last stage major manufactures of super/exotic/hyper cars. Even major players such as Porsche, Lambo, and Ferraris will have to step back. The horse power war will also take a back seat to ensure the these car companies survive by making "more affordable" super cars - At least for the time being, that is if they survive the economic hit.

I believe it is true since our current society is dominated by certain group of green only people and their push for "make sense cars" will out shadow any thing else.

It is a shame...

Long live the NSX. I'll keep that car for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
While at a Japanese book store today, I picked up a car magazine and read some articles.

A quick glance through the magazine, I got the sense that they basically said Honda will most like not produce any super cars in the future. If they are doing the car, they will most likely reviving the ASC (or what ever you like to call it) since the bulk of R & D has already being already done - Even with that in mind, it is unlikely. In fact, Honda may put a halt to S2k replacement also.

The "short lived" energy crisis was a preview of our future and similar event (s) will happen again. Therefore, we may be at the last stage major manufactures of super/exotic/hyper cars. Even major players such as Porsche, Lambo, and Ferraris will have to step back. The horse power war will also take a back seat to ensure the these car companies survive by making "more affordable" super cars - At least for the time being, that is if they survive the economic hit.

I believe it is true since our current society is dominated by certain group of green only people and their push for "make sense cars" will out shadow any thing else.

It is a shame...

Long live the NSX. I'll keep that car for the rest of my life.

Great, so now Honda is neutered like Toyota. The only one really left in Japan to push sport cars is Nissan and their design stylings have fallen ever since the new millenium or some say by the merge with Renault.

I actually believe that the S2000 or smaller engined sport cars are still profitable. That's what the NSX and S2000 were anyways, lightweight/high revving small engine sport cars. The NSX sold other Acuras and Hondas while the S2000 sold pretty damn well considering the cost for a I4 sports car. I don't see why there was a needed change to an already 15 year old car. They should have keep the refresh minor to keep research cost down and just upgrade gradually instead of trying to be radical. Honda should not have entered the cock measuring contest with Nissan and Toyota. Even Lexus is stumbling all over the place to hold their ground.

I mean the NSX can get 30 mpg on the highway easily and that's still pretty damn good even in today's standards. I believe whoever made the decision in Honda just botched when they decided to go with V10 and high hp. A simple refresh of the NA2 and an upgrade on the V6 would have been minimal in cost and more profitable. If Honda didn't offer FI for this "new" V6, I'm sure many vendors would be at the neck producing one from the get go. The NSX legacy would continue and the updated NA3 would have sold more definately. A reliable V6 with over 330 hp NA or 450 hp FI is not hard to believe today and with modern low slung styling would have invigorated sales throughout the whole spectrum of Hondas. This high power V6 in a 3000 lb +- 200 lbs car would have dominated in performance and fuel efficiency. I mean that's what Nissan did, except their car is a wildebeest. No one really going to want to buy many more GTRs in the future, but it sure as hell will help move units on the affordable Nissans. WTH was Honda thinking entering the cock measuring contest with a V10 tho? And then they decide to put all of that money/time to waste after they half ass it. :confused:

Such a shame. At least there is still Porsche, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lotus, Covettes, Vipers, and Lamborghini... and the R8. (I didn't mention the Nissans for a reason lol)

Still a lot of good cars to choose from. The market is going to shrink and Honda is going to go back to what they do best.

Good move for Honda, bad move for competition. With less sports car, advances will not come as quickly as people will most likely go back to only being label whores. Without no name companies (relatively speaking) pushing the envelope, companies like Ferrari and Porsche can get lazy again and just make whatever they want.

:frown:

Great, so now Honda is neutered like Toyota. The only one really left in Japan to push sport cars is Nissan and their design stylings have fallen ever since the new millenium or some say by the merge with Renault.

Considered our NSX as a gift from Honda. At to those who appreciate what it is.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/23/lamborghini-running-strong-with-record-sales-and-profit-in-2008/

The current economic conditions may be wreaking havoc on the Detroit Three, along iwth Toyota and Honda, but Lamborghini is apparently impervious to the global financial crisis. The House of the Raging Bull posted record sales and profit records for the fourth straight year and has followed through on its promise to introduce a new model every year during that time period. The company has no intentions of reducing funding for R&D, and plans to expand its global presence and dealer network throughout the next year. Here at Autoblog, we're all for Lamborghini's continued success, especially if they continue to let us drive their new models. More details on Lamborghini's current status and future plans in the press release after the jump.

:smile: At least Lambo is doing ok for now.

As for Honda, they just going back to their roots that made them able to survive when they first started. They stick to what works.

But i also dont think this is the death to supercars. Telsa gives us hope!

Last edited:
Back