More scams

Here is the link from carsdirect.com

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars...2407221-dealer_referral_vehicle&zipcode=94564

Here is the response:

Hello John,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car.
The vehicle is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, kept in our own garage. It's fun and robust to drive.
My father, who died 1 month ago was the first owner of the car.
The car is an US model with US specs, technical inspection and emissions testing is passed and stamped as well.
It has a US title of ownership, cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the documents you need to register the item. 2 years international warranty available.
I must inform you that currently I'm in UK. I didn't bring it here with me because the car's steering wheel is on the left side, and so it's difficult driving it around the UK.
The car is now located at the CarsDirect warehouse in Denver, Colorado. The car will be shipped and insured by CarsDirect.
CarsDirect will act as a 3rd party for our transaction. You will not have to pay additional taxes for this.
To be able to receive or pick up the car you'll have to make a $3,000.00 deposit.
After you inspect the car if anything seems wrong you'll be able to receive a refund from CarsDirect.
Please send me your full name and shipping address to forward them to CarsDirect. They will contact you with more details.
Thanks for your interest, please feel free to email me any questions or concerns you may have.

Respectfully,
Alberta Crouse

>From: "Cho, John" <[email protected]>
>To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
>Subject: Question for seller - 1999 Acura NSX on CarsDirect.com
>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:46:31 -0700
>
>Hello there,
>
>Just asking if you can please tell me more about the car. Is this car
>with you in the United States? Is the title clean and can I come and
>check out the vehicle? If you have a carfax report ready or autocheck,
>I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thanks!
>
>John

I think i saw Don L. Leasing advertising that exact car in the Dupont registry and on ebay. I never understand why these scam artists dont sdk for a realistic price? A 99 NSX for 19k? By that rational he might have a 2000 civic for $1000 or so....

The actual listing (from which the scammer stole the information) is here.

I just reported this to CarsDirect.com (which, thankfully, includes a link in each ad, labeled "Report an inaccurate listing").

good detective work, ken.

nsxtasy said:
CarsDirect.com (which, thankfully, includes a link in each ad, labeled "Report an inaccurate listing")
...but, unfortunately, apparently doesn't bother paying attention to such reports. :mad:

I have a feeling this is another inaccurate ad

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...+descending|Q-descending|Z-54016&aff=national

16k for a dirty 91 like this seems almost real but the guy emailed me saying he was in the czech republic with the car and he wanted my info for shipping and such. I apologize if this is not a scam but the ad clearly states the car is in NY and the phone number posted is for a place called "Make My Cake" or something like that.

headshot99r6 said:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...+descending|Q-descending|Z-54016&aff=national

16k for a dirty 91 like this seems almost real but the guy emailed me saying he was in the czech republic with the car and he wanted my info for shipping and such. I apologize if this is not a scam but the ad clearly states the car is in NY and the phone number posted is for a place called "Make My Cake" or something like that.

From the ad;
"TOTALLY ACCIDENT FREE, TOTALLY RUST FREE, TOTALLY STOCK AND NEVER ABUSED, MOLESTED, OR RACED!!!!"

If painting a Black NSX, spa yellow is not abuse, then what is :eek:

headshot99r6 said:
he was in the czech republic with the car
Definitely a scam.

I was afraid that it would be more difficult to tell the scammers from the real thing if they started listing the cars with prices at 60-80 percent of their market value instead of 10-20 percent. With this listing, that now appears to be happening... :eek:

Alright now I am on a mission, I've found another prospective scam and will post it here as soon as I know if it is or not. I am really sick of this considering I am beginning to kind of seriously look for an nsx. I know the obvious solution is just to purchase one off of prime, and hopefully I will. But until that day I am going to harrass scammers to the best of my abilities.
(I know I saw a post that had a website that dealt with this but I can't remember what it was)

headshot99r6 said:

Oh that's not a scam. Make My Cake is a very large and well known reseller of 1 owner exotics. :tongue: :biggrin:

headshot99r6 said:
Alright now I am on a mission, I've found another prospective scam and will post it here as soon as I know if it is or not. I am really sick of this considering I am beginning to kind of seriously look for an nsx. I know the obvious solution is just to purchase one off of prime, and hopefully I will. But until that day I am going to harrass scammers to the best of my abilities.
(I know I saw a post that had a website that dealt with this but I can't remember what it was)

Even buying from Prime isn't 100% safe. There are some owners being less than honest about the history of their cars. Just make sure you check any car out.

headshot99r6 said:
I will do that for sure.

oh yeah here is another possible scam, they claim the car is in the UK, total BS. I wish there was a way to stop this crap.

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars...2764017-dealer_referral_vehicle&zipcode=54016

I emailed them about this one last night and got this response.

Thank you for your interest in CarsDirect.com.
On behalf of CarsDirect I would like to thank you for informing us
about
this seller and hope this will not steer you away from our site. We
appreciate your effort in bringing the listing to our attention. The
listing
has been deleted from our website.

While there is no foolproof way to identify fraudulent sellers, it is
wise
to take precautions when shopping for a vehicle on the Internet. The
following are indicators of higher-risk transactions:
Origin: Sellers outside of the country or buying sight-unseen warrant
extra
caution.

Third Party Brokers: Practice caution in any transaction that involves
a
third party agent or broker, be it international or local.
These are only indicators of potential higher risk transactions and do
not
mean that a seller is fraudulent. By the same token, a seller who
doesn't
match any of these criteria is not guaranteed to be legitimate.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us by
or call us toll-free at 1-800-431-2500.

Thanks again for choosing CarsDirect.com, America's #1 way to buy cars
online.

Sorry to be totally off subject but this struck a chord with me.
I am currently looking for a sport bike and found a 'good' deal on one. In a local magazine he has a pic of it and says to email for more pics and info.
I do so and he is also in UK......you know the rest of the story.
So basically it appears this scam isn't limited to cars.....silly me thought it was.
BTW, I emailed him back and told him I wasn't falling for his scam. No reply.

ha, yeah a friend of mine looked at a couple of bikes last year that were the same story. always over seas and need to be sold because they are u.s. vehicles, Why the hell would you bring your vehicle over seas and then immediately decide to sell it. It just sucks that some people fall for it and lose a couple of grand in the process.

Back