More EBAY NSX Shenanigans

I think this Ebay fraud is really common now. I almost got taken for a few hundred dollars about a year ago. WARNING: Do not ever wire funds! That seems to be the method where you have no recourse of getting your funds back. Even if you go to Ebay and type in HRE, a few listings will come up. About once a week I see a seller offering HRE wheels for sale that are fraud, not all, but some of them are. If you email them and ask what kinda price they can get you on a NEW set of HRE's for your car, they will give you a great deal. If fact, they claim to have sets and sets of HRE's wheels just laying around for dirt cheap! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Z

The black car listed by Naples Motorsports is legit as far as I know. Naples Motorsports is a very reputable dealer and has sold many used NSXs.

The silver car listed by a private seller with a zero feedback rating, however, has been listed on eBay previously under the VIN number of JH4NA1155MT002607. The story about the salvage title changed from water damge (from leaving the window open - HAH!) to theft recovery. I see the current ad still says theft recovery, but there are obvious signs of poor repair of considerable damage in the pictures.

The photos in previous ads for the silver car showed a serial number plate of 002229 so there was a VIN issue even in those previous listings (listed as #002607, shown as serial #002229 in photo). Now it is listed as #001777, so it appears the seller took the VIN number from ad for the legitimate car listed by Naples Motorports and used it for the latest listing on the silver car. I'm quite certain the seller would not be able to produce any photo of the silver car with that VIN or serial number plate!

It's really funny that the seller gives you a link to the carfax for #001777 because the history on that VIN does not match the sellers description of this car at all (there is no salvage title for #001777). www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=CFX000004535869

A carfax report on JH4NA1155MT002607 does not show salvage title either and, like #001777, that VIN was probably just taken from another ad.

The VIN for 1991 serial number #002229 is easily determined - JH4NA115XMT002229. The carfax for that VIN does show salvage and odomoter rollback and thus at least matches the sellers description of the car. See http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20825

While #002229 may be the true VIN, I'd still like to see the other VIN plates and the engine number from the car before I would be comfortable with that. I'm not sure why the seller would mention in the ad that the car has a salvage title and then provide VIN numbers from different cars that do not. Maybe someone should call him at the listed number of (415) 859-0872 and ask.

For previous discussion about this car, see these threads:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19499
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18719

Wow, good eye Lud. You should be a detective!! :D

I can vouch for Naples Motorsports. I bought my 91 from Bay State Motorsports in Mass, the sister company. Bay State has a 91 manual with 14k miles currently if anyone is interested.

John

Lud said:
While #002229 may be the true VIN, I'd still like to see the other VIN plates and the engine number from the car before I would be comfortable with that.

Lud,

What would you do with the engine number? State Police used that to determine I had a stolen car (VIN didn't match engine number), but I didn't think that database was public?

FramerJohn,

Yes, I was at Factory Five. My NSX was the black one parked next to Rich's green NSX out front.

I bought mine last summer in July. One year down many more to go.

John

wilsonp said:
What would you do with the engine number? State Police used that to determine I had a stolen car (VIN didn't match engine number), but I didn't think that database was public?

It is not public, but if you have the right friends you can get it checked. ;)

Caz
The person I bought my car from I believe Baystate Motors found him the car. They held the title on the car when I bought it.
I talked to the people in Naples and they seemed pretty good to deal with.

John

Naples Motorsports is great. I recently purchased a 97 Yellow NSX-T. The car is in excellent shape and they took care of all the details. Would definitely do business with them again.

Mike

Even if that silver one wasn't messed up, it has a front license plate which looks as if the holes are drilled directly in the front end... bleech. I believe in IL you're supposed to have front plates too, but I'd gladly take a ticket before drilling holes in the car. In fact, my BMW had an indentation for a license plate in the front and I ordered a new front lip because I didn't like how it looked with the plate in the front..

Lud, what do you think of the hood alignment on the black 91?
Mine is the same way and my car has never been touched but some people would question it.

Tony Montoya said:
Lud, what do you think of the hood alignment on the black 91?
Mine is the same way and my car has never been touched but some people would question it.

The front edge is a little high on the drivers side and maybe a little low on the passenger side, but it looks like it's probably just an adjustment issue.

There are a couple little rubber stops on either side of the radiator that raise or lower when you turn them. It may just need those adjusted. Alternatively the front nose cover may not be seated quite right.

If you look at the alignment of the hood and nose in relation to the headlights and quarter panels in person you can tell which one is off and needs to be adjusted. I can't really tell from the photos.

Back