momo/honda shift knob mystery?

Hey Guys,

The other day I was browsing for wood shift knobs and I've lost the site I found but it had a MOMO shift knob that was wood with a honda logo??? It said don't order no longer made? Something like that. Anyone else ever seen one or know if they made such a thing, although I did see apicture of it and it had a Honda name on it, does anyone know if they're are any around. It looked great by the way. It reminded me of the wood knob that came in my first year made 240Z. I kept that knob and had it in my 280Z too. I just like wood shift knobs and would love to get one of those original momos with the honda logo. othewise do Momo shift knobs fit the NSX? Anything special about putting them on or do they just screw on?

Thanks,
Tim

preferences...

All late-model Honda/Acura shift-knobs have the 10x1.5 thread pitch, so make sure you acquire a shift-knob that has that.

Regarding actual wood shift-knobs on the NSX, I actually believe you'd be the first (or perhaps the first to admit... :D)!

There are others who have done the wood-grain overlays for the center-console/door-trim (it actually came as an optional OEM-accessory in Japan!). However, I haven't heard/seen anyone actually install a wood shift-knob on any NSX. Well, I'm sure Prince has... :p

Being that the NSX is/was such a technical marvel in it's day w/ the use of unique metals/alloys & having a very function-meets-form disposition, most owners who wanted to swap-out their OEM/stock leather-stitched shift-knob opted for after-market aluminum or titanium or CF shift-knobs (or those from the NSX Zanardi/Type-S & NSX-R, even the S2000 CR or Integra Type-R).

I personally feel a wood shift-knob would seem like an anachronism in any NSX. But, obviously tastes are subjective. F.W.I.W., the Porsche Carrera GT had a wooden shift-knob. . .

Last edited:
Although I appreciate what Osiris has to say about wood shift knobs, he really didn't address the question which was about a momo wood shift knob with a Honda logo on it. Apparently there was actually one sanctioned by Honda. Sure modern materials make sense in a modern car like aluminum or titanium - but if your car sits in the sun for any length of time those metal shift knobs are hot as hell and no fun to grab when you want to go. I know I have Honda with only the top of the knob being exposed aluminum and it's really too hot to handle when the cars been out in the sun for a few hours, thank goodness it has some leather around it too. Guess you can cover it up and that's probably the answer unless your at a meet with other NSXs. So a wood shift knob or leather would make sense - so stock is probably the best way to go, but if you ever saw the knob I'm talking about you'd want one, well at least I would. It was really nice, great grain, beautifully finished and it had the Honda logo. What's not to like really.

The idea that you can customize your car in every conceivable way with body kits and graphite plastic bits and trim inside the cabin or even OEM wood grain on the dash, which I've seen, but not use a wood knob, sounds kind of silly.

I guess for me, as an older guy that has come out of the 50s and thru the 60s with British cars, german cars and all the interesting bits of wood trim in the older guys, makes me think a little nostalgically towards wood even in a totaly modern car like the NSX. Not for everyone, but neither are panel flares and body kits for me. About the only thing I believe I'll do to the car out of stock would be something like a wood knob and Momo makes some very nice ones but I'm not sure about the thread match.

Anyone know about Momo thread matches for their knobs in an NSX? A metal knob just doesn't do it for me - hot and way to plane. No accounting for taste is there - but this is what I like.

Would love to hear if anyone has ever seen the knob I'm talking about which started this thread.

Thanks,
Tim
Atlanta

Last edited:
I believe the Knob your are referring to came with the 1978/79 Civic S...

A long time ago.

Bram

Hey Guys,

The other day I was browsing for wood shift knobs and I've lost the site I found but it had a MOMO shift knob that was wood with a honda logo??? It said don't order no longer made? Something like that. Anyone else ever seen one or know if they made such a thing, although I did see apicture of it and it had a Honda name on it, does anyone know if they're are any around. It looked great by the way. It reminded me of the wood knob that came in my first year made 240Z. I kept that knob and had it in my 280Z too. I just like wood shift knobs and would love to get one of those original momos with the honda logo. othewise do Momo shift knobs fit the NSX? Anything special about putting them on or do they just screw on?

Thanks,
Tim

Back